Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT-S/MT &'10 Wrangler JKU-S
Occupation
Retired (military & civil service)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been meaning to post this from my manual (2021 Gladiator Owner's Manual, page 219) :
  • "Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
  • Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads."
Happened across it when I was checking before I started seriously dragging our new travel trailer around. Glad I caught it!!

Jeep Gladiator Towing Break-In Period(s) IMG-5724

Sponsored

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Do not drag race with a trailer during break-in... seems like a sentence that didn't need to be typed, but i guess personal responsibility is just completely a thing of the past.

not exceeding 50mph for 500 miles is good info... but also seems rather difficult. Don't see many people doing a lot of city-only towing.

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
This is pretty much industry standard on a new gear install followed by an oil change.

I did tow a 500lb Tentrax when ours was new, but it was super cold ambient temps and only 50-60 mph since the other Jeep I was traveling with didn't have any HP. Replaced all of the vehicle's fluids after that 2600 mile break in trip.

Bananaman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green Sport S JTRD
Occupation
Cabinet maker
I'm doing this now, and can tell you it's tough. Always looking for access roads and side streets. Only 175 more miles to go!

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
I've been meaning to post this from my manual (2021 Gladiator Owner's Manual, page 219) :
  • "Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
  • Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads."
Happened across it when I was checking before I started seriously dragging our new travel trailer around. Glad I caught it!!

Yup. I'm 200 miles into the towing break-in. OMG, Smart Cruise is a godsend. And yes, it does activate the Redarc controller.

Sponsored

BaliMawr

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTMT, 2004 R1150GS, 1979 R100
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Art Teacher, Blacksmith
Do not drag race with a trailer during break-in... seems like a sentence that didn't need to be typed, but i guess personal responsibility is just completely a thing of the past.

not exceeding 50mph for 500 miles is good info... but also seems rather difficult. Don't see many people doing a lot of city-only towing.
I'm lucky enough to live in central VA, with lots of back roads that parallel the highways.

Snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Graphic designer
Iā€™m leaving on a trip to Florida this weekend, towing our boat. Iā€™ve got about 200 miles on it, right now. No way I can get out of it.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
šŸ˜³ wellllll didnā€™t read that little jem when i first started towing my TT. My second trip ever was a 340mile pull to niagra. I donā€™t often go over 60 with the TTā€¦and didnā€™t on that trio. But manā€¦really kinda wish I knew. Dumb on me for not reading the manual thoroughly enough.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I picked up my gladiator with 6 miles on the odometer and drove it several hundred miles home on the highway. About a month later, I took it on a 2,000mi road trip pulling my overlanding trailer, again at highway speeds for a couple 8hr stretches.

It runs flawlessly and I've had 3 Blackstone engine oil reports come back with perfect results.

DenverBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 Sting-Gray JTRD (D1), 2002 Porsche Boxster S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Off-Road Adventure Engineer (part time)

Good catch. I noticed the same before a 1600 trip to pickup a trailer. Itā€™s tough to go that slow when you have so many miles to cover. On every road trip I am very glad to have the ACC.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I already had like around 7,000 miles on mine (and did an oil change at 1,000 miles just to get rid of break-in schtuffola) when I got my travel trailer. So, I guess it was broken in by that point ;)
Sponsored