Sponsored

Unique Post // I've decided my Gladiator Rubicon is not the vehicle for me : /

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
So I'm pretty sure the heat is either "yes" or "no" until you hit your desired temp you set, then it calms down and blows roughly that temp.
Sponsored

JerseyMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
physician
One thing that surprises me in your post is the heater, the only vehicle with a heater that was even close was the JL but the JT beats it with the smaller cab. This is the fastest heating vehicle I have owned (and I have owned a lot), the only thing that I can see is that the vehicle itself is drafty but the heater is a beast.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
@ACLdestroyer Sorry to hear that you are not happy with your truck. You may simply be beyond being happy with it, like a bad taste in your mouth.
The shifting in/out of 4wd is something only you can decide on.
As far as handling, have you driven other JT's to compare it to? The right tires can completely change a vehicle. Only you will know what you are comfortable with and you have to feel comfortable to be safe.
My wife is in her third Subaru because I feel that they are one of the safest cars on the road in any weather (the only one that was any fun was her Justy). I drive the Jeep because I have to make emergency calls where no is not an option. It is way more capable than any of my old trucks.
As far as the heat is concerned, mine works perfectly as designed. I just hate it.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Not the thread I pictured myself posting when I picked up the car from the dealer in August 2020, but here I am.

I bought the wrong rig, thats it. My sting gray Rubi is an excellent vehicle. Decent driving on city streets, easy to commute in, handled road trips well. Reliable, fun, simple etc.

The catch, I travel up and down mountain passes 30 times a year. Shifting this thing in and out of 4H when the roads go from snow covered to clear and wet is silly. The truck handles poorly at highway speeds in 4H. The heater is atrocious to deal with. Fuel mileage is unbelievably bad for a V6, though I don't drive enough to really care about mpg.

Will be looking at selling this thing and grabbing a RAM 2500. Maybe test drive a TRX just for S&Gs.

Have only respect for this forum and Jeep folks altogether. Wish I could find a way to appreciate the Gladiator as much as it deserves.

I definitely wont miss waving at people 20-30 on my trip to the grocery store here in Issaquah. Too many jeep owners here. Yeesh! :)
Hvac issue is something to take up with her dealer. Fuel economy is different with each model and driving style. The shifting in 4wd gets easier, or leave it in 4wd and don't make sharp turns. What do you mean, handles poorly in 4wd?

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81ā€™ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ā€˜18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
As I wrote in the post, Iā€™m not terribly worried about mpg. My previous truck was a RAM Hemi and it got 18mpg and it also had TONS of power.

If I get a 2500 it would be the Cummins. Great mileage.
If I go with the TRX, Iā€™d get the worst fuel mileage in the market along with 3 xā€™s the whp.
I just sold my 2500 Cummins- the mileage at 55-62mph is 24.8 Down wind, no load and falling off a cliff. In town figure 12-13, less if you remove the 265 tires and go 34/35. I towed many tens of thousands of miles. You canā€™t argue mpg and fuel savings because your gonna pay 10k diesel and emissions penalty. It will take you 10 years and hundreds of thousands of miles to pay it off if you still drive 25-35k a year.....
just a lil perspective. be well- I understand you prefer a different tool for your needs. Chose well, research enormously.
cheers!

Sponsored

gmcul8r

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 1963 IH Scout
Occupation
Buyer
I definitely wont miss waving at people 20-30 on my trip to the grocery store here in Issaquah. Too many jeep owners here. Yeesh! :)
Since you're in Issaquah you're probably running up and down Snoqualmie Pass, which I can agree the JT isn't the best suited for. Anytime I have to run over the pass, I always prefer to drive my wife's Durango R/T.

I work in Issaquah and live in Woodinville. My commute is back-roads, including the beautiful East Lake Sammamish. Having a vehicle that can go topless and doorless on a clear day is EXACTLY why I drive a Jeep. Jeeps have their shortcomings, but the open air experience always outweighs them for me.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I don't know what to say about the AC / Heater issues some of you all are having....... I put mine on AUTO / SYNC and set temp to 70, and that's where it lives undisturbed, pretty much year round.
Yes that is kind of where I have gone to so far and its working good. As long as I stay off of the manual heat mode there doesn't seem to be to much issues.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Have you taken it in to the dealership?
Yes that is kind of where I have gone to so far and its working good. As long as I stay off of the manual heat mode there doesn't seem to be to much issues.
Can't stand the heat/cooling settings. Automatic temperature control is just the worst.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The HVAC in my JL is just as bad. When I want heat it blows cold; when I want AC it blows hot. After 5-10 minutes it finally settles on the desired temp.

Dealer says thatā€™s just how it is.

My JKs had auto climate control as well. Although they used a more primitive system, it maintained a comfortable cabin temperature.

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
The HVAC in my JL is just as bad. When I want heat it blows cold; when I want AC it blows hot. After 5-10 minutes it finally settles on the desired temp.

Dealer says thatā€™s just how it is.

My JKs had auto climate control as well. Although they used a more primitive system, it maintained a comfortable cabin temperature.
If that's the way it is, wouldn't we all have the same problem? But there are many where the HVAC system works as intended.
They probably don't want to fix it.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
I have yet to find the HVAC system inadequate or dysfunctional. Seems like it heats the truck when it is cold and it cools it when it is hot. Once it gets to the comfortable temp zone, I adjust it less than almost any vehicle I have ever owned.

Could I be lucky? Or are people special?

I vote special

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Not gonna lie...I still look at rams a LOT and wonder what could have been. But im content with the jt as my daily. My only real regret Is that i had to pull the trigger before the diesels came out. Best of luck!

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon GATOR
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I drive mine everyday. Once a week I drive from Yosemite to San Diego and back that means starting at 3500 ft going down to 500 ft on the 99 then back up over the grapevine at 4400 ft. All summer and winter heat to like 110. Cold to 20 snow sleet rain ice etc. I shift in an out of 4whl drive all the time. The heater is awesome so are the heated seats and steering wheel that turn on automatically. And I am running 37s. Whatā€™s not to like
Plus I came out of the store yesterday there were 3 guys in their late seventies ogling the Jeep. Talked with them for about 20ā€™minutes. Jeep tales.
Rams are everywhere your either a Jeep guy or not

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Cybertruck. Never have to shift in to AWD again- there are motors in each wheel. And the heat from the batteries catching fire is handy.

But seriously - to the OP - you do you . I think you kind of invited a bit of trolling on yourself but I respect that everyone has different needs. I live in flatland with a lot of snow - shifting into 4H at highway speeds (up to about 50ish) works fine for me - love that I don't have to be in neutral (I have the 6MT) - just let off the gas a bit. Now- when I replace my wife's Volvo XC90 with a JLUR auto I'll get her the selctrac transmission with 4H auto option and she'll also be getting a diesel because she does a lot of hiway driving (she's a realtor and lists properties all over western metro Twin Cities).
Cyber truck doesnā€™t have a motor for each wheel... rwd has one motor. You can then get the 49k version that has two motors... then the awd has 3 motors, not 4.
Sponsored