Dagoberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
That makes the most sense to me. Basically the 6.4 in a Mojave. That’d be fantastic.
I was just gonna say to @Rex3rd they answered that rumor with the Mohave with its suspension and transfer case ratio no? I do agree they lost the battle with Ford by not putting a more powerful engine.
Sponsored

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
People keep saying the V6 (6-cylinder) is "because it's a Jeep thing", but they often forget the Scramblers and CJ7 came with the 304 V8 option from the factory.
Seatbelts weren't mandated until 1968. CJ7s we're introduced 8 years later, 1976. I'd say the safety standards may have something to do with the non inclusion of a V8 option. Crumple zones weren't even a thing. Let's try to keep comparisons unbiased.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Seatbelts weren't mandated until 1968. CJ7s we're introduced 8 years later, 1976. I'd say the safety standards may have something to do with the non inclusion of a V8 option. Crumple zones weren't even a thing. Let's try to keep comparisons unbiased.
So your points contradict themselves... If safety was ramped up 8 years before the first CJ7 was ever built, which was offered with a V8, then how could it not pass safety standards of the day?

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
So your points contradict themselves... If safety was ramped up 8 years before the first CJ7 was ever built, which was offered with a V8, then how could it not pass safety standards of the day?
No....one sentence later I brought up crumple zones not even existing. I mentioned the enforcement date of THE most basic safety feature to show a timeline. Many more safety requirements have been mandated since then. We, the public consumer, can swap engines after purchase because, as in the state of Texas, the only requirement is emissions. We don't have to meet all the safety requirements the manufacturer does. I will say this may not be the only, or the deciding factor. But it's also a misleading argument to say they put V8s in 40 years ago, why not now? Things have changed over 40 years.

Btw, I used texas because my home state is known to be one of the most restrictive. I'm trying to represent the majority of the country.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Maybe I'm just in the honeymoon phase with my Gladiator and trying to justify my recent purchase, but I find that the Pentastar has plenty of power for this platform. This coming from a guy with an 850hp Mustang sitting in the garage. Certainly wouldn't complain about having a 392 under the hood but I have a feeling the added cost and fuel economy will make it impractical for 95% of buyers.

Sponsored

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'm just in the honeymoon phase with my Gladiator and trying to justify my recent purchase, but I find that the Pentastar has plenty of power for this platform. This coming from a guy with an 850hp Mustang sitting in the garage. Certainly wouldn't complain about having a 392 under the hood but I have a feeling the added cost and fuel economy will make it impractical for 95% of buyers.
Agree. I loved my 4cyl Willy pickup and have moved on from trying to have the biggest and baddest. Once had a blown 56 and have to say I do miss it but love this Jeep pickup just as much if not more.
No need for a V8. Been there done that.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps. The Bronco has a couple of other things going for it such as the IFS. Appears to have a modular hard top as well. I’m guessing there are also some other things Ford will improve upon. The new Bronco is going to be great for everyone. Finally something to give Jeep a kick in the a$$.
Yeah Jeep's been hearing that for years and nothing has come close.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My JTR already gets 14-15 MPG... The 6.4 Hemi swapped ones get the exact same MPG's. I'd much rather have 15 MPG and 500 BHP under the hood, than 15 MPG and a 285 BHP V6... Personal opinion.

Plus, the V8 has the low-end grunt and the solid power curves, whereas this 3.6L V6 seems to drop-out in the upper-lows all the way up to the lower-high RPM range. That entire mid-curve seems non-existent.

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I agree. I really have no complaints with the power as it sits. I do know that I’ll want more when I get my travel trailer and start towing more frequently.

Sponsored

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’d love to see this as a factory option. Give us options! If you love the V6, get it. Want a Diesel? Here you go! Like to do 4 wheel burnouts? Here’s a Hemi option.

Bought that V6 but want more power? Oh here’s a FACTORY bolt in kit to drop in a V8.

Bring it on!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’d love to see this as a factory option. Give us options! If you love the V6, get it. Want a Diesel? Here you go! Like to do 4 wheel burnouts? Here’s a Hemi option.

Bought that V6 but want more power? Oh here’s a FACTORY bolt in kit to drop in a V8.

Bring it on!
That's what I'm saying! OPTIONS! And they should offer us V6-only available JT owners a discounted Mopar drop-in 6.4 Hemi kit, that if you have it installed by a dealership, is covered under warranty. Sort of like where Ford offers that 727hp Mustang GT supercharger kit. If you have it installed at a dealership before purchase, it's covered under your warranty and factored into your monthly payment for only about $7,500 more than the car itself is, so price-wise, it's like you're only buying the kit, and you don't have to pay for labor for the install.

J.Noack

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Business Owner
I wish they would offer it as at a discount for current JT owners to have it swapped-in.

Or a discount for currently disgruntled JT owners who have been saying they should have done this the whole damn time!

If they offered me a hell of a trade-in deal for an equally-equipped JTR (exact same as mine, just with the 6.4 Hemi), and all I had to do was swap over all my aftermarket stuff, I'd be all over that deal. I think I just rolled 1,500 miles on mine, so it's basically still brand damn new. :like:
Man I hear ya. If they offered that V8 model , even after the hours of planning, research and wrenching, etc I’d be willing to sell my current Gladiator at my cost or slightly under my cost. I would probably break relatively even simply due to me installing 99% of all parts purchased, of which many parts were purchased at a considerable discount, etc.
I’d gotta think there is at least one guy out there looking on the internet for someone to be fire selling an already done up Gladiator that’s ready to rock!

J.Noack

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Business Owner

Bring it on!
yes and more yes
Sponsored