Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I have a 12s. Mine is dry, and thankfully I always have the power cutoff to the winch when not in use (aux switch to solenoid), but Iā€™ll still call and get on the list for a replacement. I store my remote in the glove box, so itā€™s within reach, so it should be dry. Thanks again.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
Yep, I'll look into it... I have the Evo10s...

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Warnā€™s fix is a ā€œwater resistantā€ controller?? Is it that hard to make it water proof?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Warnā€™s fix is a ā€œwater resistantā€ controller?? Is it that hard to make it water proof?
To be fair, if itā€™s not water resistant now, thatā€™s a reasonable way to fix it. :)

Sponsored

Levi.Butler

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Engineer
They have to call it 'water resistant' so some dummy doesn't tie it to a rock and sink it to 100ft for a week and then sue them because they claimed it was 'water proof'.

Almost everything that you would instinctively call 'water proof' is actually 'water resistant' according to the manufacturer. It will effectively be 'water proof' for any normal use that a winch controller would see.

If I am being honest though, I have two of these winches and they performs A LOT better when they're wired versus when they're wireless. I'm just going to take the batteries out of the remotes and move on.

Mbryson

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Rubicon diesel
Occupation
IT Manager
Good heads up. Thanks

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
I think you have it backward? All of this series of winch have been VR. The newest model is VR Evo. This article goes into detail:

https://www.roundforge.com/articles/warn-vr-vs-warn-vr-evo-winch/

The Evo model is the first that's IP68 rated (the winch itself, not the controller). Now, Warn winches have been pretty water-tolerant before the IP68 rating, but still. Apart from that there are differences in line speed and amp draw, which look fairly significant to me. And in a quick look I don't see any new old stock of the non-Evo anyway.

But if you're looking on craigslist etc, OK good to be aware of the differences

Last edited:

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
Warn advises to remove the battery pack from the winch controller and use it as a wired controller only. There will be info on their website on Friday to sign up for the recall. You will need the serial number of your winch. The plan is they will be sending out new wired remotes and $100 Warn gift certificates for the inconvenience of no longer having a wired remote.

Personally, I think for those of us that store the remote in a dry place and have never used the remote out in wet weather, that we'd need to put a rush on this.

Burghardphotography

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '65 MBZ 220s, '66 Riviera GS, '72 F-250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Finding the will to live
Warn advises to remove the battery pack from the winch controller and use it as a wired controller only. There will be info on their website on Friday to sign up for the recall. You will need the serial number of your winch. The plan is they will be sending out new wired remotes and $100 Warn gift certificates for the inconvenience of no longer having a wired remote.

Personally, I think for those of us that store the remote in a dry place and have never used the remote out in wet weather, that we'd need to put a rush on this.
Wait a sec, their solution to this is just a corded remote and 100 bucks? Thatā€™s not a solution, thatā€™s a cop out. If they are going to go to all the trouble to do that, I donā€™t see why we canā€™t just have proper functioning wireless remote replacements.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Wait a sec, their solution to this is just a corded remote and 100 bucks? Thatā€™s not a solution, thatā€™s a cop out. If they are going to go to all the trouble to do that, I donā€™t see why we canā€™t just have proper functioning wireless remote replacements.
I agree. I told them that earlier this week over the phone. I hate the idea of controlling a winch with my phone as well. That was their other ā€œsolutionā€. That we can use the $100 to buy their Bluetooth setup. Not cool.

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
I've seen a few different guesses on the 'net saying what WARN may or may not do and how quick it may or may not be. The info I posted was what I was told by customer service when I called them on Wednesday.

For more details, I suggest you read the second half of page 6 and the first part of page 7 of the NHTSA Safety Recall report (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22E101-1107.PDF).

Of course, I would guess things could always change as they move along.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I've seen a few different guesses on the 'net saying what WARN may or may not do and how quick it may or may not be. The info I posted was what I was told by customer service when I called them on Wednesday.

For more details, I suggest you read the second half of page 6 and the first part of page 7 of the NHTSA Safety Recall report (https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22E101-1107.PDF).

Of course, I would guess things could always change as they move along.
They told me the same thing when I called them on Monday or Tuesday. I politely expressed my disappointment. They should just develop a better deal for the wireless remotes.

Joe Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
how about just making a rubber cover to put on the remote. It's not waterproof but water resistant, better than there cop out solution.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
how about just making a rubber cover to put on the remote. It's not waterproof but water resistant, better than there cop out solution.
Exactly. This isnā€™t being handled great in my opinion. One point I made to Warn when I talked to them was that I spent more money to get a wireless winch. I consider it a large safety advantage to not need to hook up a cable in a recovery. If I wanted a winch with fewer features, I could have spent less. Their $100 ā€œWarn bucksā€ donā€™t solve that for me. If theyā€™re not going to fix the problem, these should be bought back so we can choose a different winch. I say we decline their ā€œofferā€for resolution, and all tell them we want a real solution, or a buy back. Then Iā€™ll buy a Zeon which is wireless and isnā€™t part of this ā€œshould be recallā€. Iā€™m serious when I say Iā€™d be happy to get a group of us together to contact them in a large organized group. If anyone is interested, send me a pm. As soon as we accept their proposed solution, we lose.
Sponsored