Sponsored

Warranty denied due to trailer frontal area?

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
It's a Jeep thing. Probably because the base Overland has more added stuff than a base Sport.
So, if optioned as such...heated seats/steering wheel, power windows, factory bed liner and tonneau cover, the 8.4" with Nav, and a few other goodies which weigh, what? 60 lbs tops? Would result in a 15 sq.ft. less frontal area towing ability? There's something a bit awry here 🤔

I can see if you have a totally flat front trailer with the aerodynamics of a brick but, most travel trailers these days have a curved front which does allow the air to flow better over the front of the trailer. I know that the calculation is simply width x height which in my case puts my trailer at ~50 sq.ft. frontal area BUT, it's also curved. If I wanted to actually do the calculus, that'd probably add a few more square feet to the equation but, like I said, it's curved ergo, more aerodynamic.

Besides, my Overland has no issues towing my trailer...27' and around 5,100 lbs with all our stuff we want or need. Yeah, it does remind me it's only a V-6 on occasion so I sometimes have to drop from 7th to 6th to maintain or regain speed (n.g.t. 65 MPH) on an upgrade but still...she handles the whole schmegeggie with aplomb :rock::rock::rock:
Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepin48

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
Keep in mind that Frontal Area isn't the same kind of spec as tow rating or the like. It's a recommended guideline to stay within if you want to avoid reduced vehicle performance.
I really wish I could prove that this was a "recommended guideline". The manual is very vague on this and I could not find any details stating it was anything but a "limit".

Tow limits.jpg

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I really wish I could prove that this was a "recommended guideline". The manual is very vague on this and I could not find any details stating it was anything but a "limit".
That's just the thing: you don't have to prove anything. Jeep does.

I think by trying to prove something like this on your own, with sketchy information, and a game of telephone to your "friend", you're getting yourself, or your "friend", stuck too far in the details that you can't see the forest for the trees.

Again, FA isn't the same type of thing as GVWR or GCWR. Don't try to apply the same logic, and don't let yourself get consumed by something that isn't your case to make. Remember, the problem here isn't about dissecting Jeep's manual, the problem here is getting your Jeep fixed. Forget the nuances of the manual and splitting hairs on it; just get it fixed!

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I found it. OP's post in another thread.

"My diesel Gladiator will be going away........ to a Toyota dealer ship.

I think the recent decline in used car values will continue and so will these diesels. Maybe in 10 years they will increase back to where they are now if you have low miles.

After multiple trips to the dealer they told me my 5200 lb camper was too much for it and if I continue with the error codes it could void my warranty. "

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
Okay, I'm curious about something in the factory spec sheet provided by the OP.

I have the Overland edition with the factory tow package. It states that I can tow up to 6,000 lbs, tongue weight of 600 lbs, but only have a trailer frontal area of 40 square feet.

Looking at a Sport with towing package, everything is the same BUT, the Sport gets a trailer frontal area of 55 square feet.

If I understand it correctly, the Sport and Overland with the factory tow package are mechanically the same...same axles, springs, gear ratio, etc. Just different exterior and interior appointments.

So what gives the Sport a greater frontal area towing capability than my Overland 🤔🤔🤔
Not sure how or why it would effect just the frontal area, but a sport is running on 245/75-17's where the overland is running 255/70-18's.

Given identical gear ratios a sport is "geared" lower overall due to the tire size.
Not huge, but a sport also sits 2.6" lower too due to the tire size.

Sponsored

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport w/tow max
Occupation
Artist - woodworker

I have the Overland edition with the factory tow package. It states that I can tow up to 6,000 lbs, tongue weight of 600 lbs, but only have a trailer frontal area of 40 square feet.

Looking at a Sport with towing package, everything is the same BUT, the Sport gets a trailer frontal area of 55 square feet.

If I understand it correctly, the Sport and Overland with the factory tow package are mechanically the same...same axles, springs, gear ratio, etc. Just different exterior and interior appointments.

So what gives the Sport a greater frontal area towing capability than my Overland 🤔🤔🤔
Think there are some mechanical differences too. I know the max tow option has many different components to increase the towing capacity especially the transmission, axle ratio and width, and cooling capacity (iirc).

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
Think there are some mechanical differences too. I know the max tow option has many different components to increase the towing capacity especially the transmission, axle ratio and width, and cooling capacity (iirc).
IIRC, the MaxTow gets 4.1 gearing, a slightly wider track (I think 1/2 inch each axle) and heavier duty springs/shocks in the rear. Cooling, alternator, transmission, etc. are all the same as the rest of the models with the tow package.

Again, still doesn't answer my question as to why the Sport gets a 15 sq.ft. higher frontal area allowance than the rest of them at 40 sq.ft.

As far as tire height, the 245/75/17, I believe is nearly the same height as the 255/70/18. It's the sidewall ratio of 75 vs. 70 and the rim diameter that makes them basically equal so, that's not it...we're looking at 31.5" for the 245/75 vs. 32 for the 255/70. One half of an inch of tire height cannot account for that 15 sq.ft. difference in frontal area allowance.

I guess I'll never understand the logic of this and neither will the rest of us (unless a Jeep Engineer speaks up and explains it to us all...).

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800

I think the recent decline in used car values will continue and so will these diesels. Maybe in 10 years they will increase back to where they are now if you have low miles.

After multiple trips to the dealer they told me my 5200 lb camper was too much for it and if I continue with the error codes it could void my warranty. "
I thought I saw that somewhere!

Which kind of reinforces my original point - what did the dealer actually say? Because reading that above, the dealer is saying that continuing to operate the truck without addressing known error codes could void the warranty...which isn't unreasonable.

I wonder where OP's friend came in?

MemphisMississipp

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport Max Tow Pkg Gobi
Occupation
Retired Fed X truck driver

Tad wider
So what gives the Sport a greater frontal area towing capability than my Overlandre 🤔🤔🤔
My 2020 Sport Max Tow I think the frontal openings in grill are a tad wider but the truck is not any wider

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/diesel-gladiators-unicorns.62880/post-1034167
Also, https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/service-electronic-throttle.42698/post-1033603.
Sounds like OPb needs a different dealership.

Sponsored

Ferg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired College Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
If you really want to make this into an interesting conversation, throw in the fact that Jeep's own advertising images include the following...I think we can all agree the Airstream in the photo has a frontal area >55 sq. ft. LOL
Jeep Gladiator Warranty denied due to trailer frontal area? GladAirstream-2048x976

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
If you really want to make this into an interesting conversation, throw in the fact that Jeep's own advertising images include the following...I think we can all agree the Airstream in the photo has a frontal area >55 sq. ft. LOL
Jeep Gladiator Warranty denied due to trailer frontal area? GladAirstream-2048x976
And is towed by an Overland that is sagging in the rear.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for bringing this back to my question.

Has anyone had a warranty denied or questioned because their trailer frontal area was too great?

The dealer threated that the warranty would be denied if documented that the vehicle was towing a trailer with a larger frontal area than the manual states.
That statement from the dealer is not unreasonable. If they are provided information that you are exceeding the trucks capability, they are expected to document it, which will cause warranty issues. Why would you provide this type of information to the dealer?

AdamH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JT Rubicon, 23 Wagoneer, 83 Scrambler
IN another add they show a Gladiator towing a Grand Wagoneer on a flatbed.
Sponsored