Sponsored

Getting Flashed Due to Bright Headlights?

Fox940

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator, 2010 Power Wagon, 1958 Willys p/u
Are the headlights on these JT's that bright? I get flashed all the time when my lights are on dim. They are adjusted correctly so I just flash them back to let them know that they can get even brighter.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fox940

Fox940

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator, 2010 Power Wagon, 1958 Willys p/u
According to this thread: https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ive-to-factory-headlights.65278/#post-1071503

Many here don't seem to like the factory Halogen headlights. I have no complaints with mine and like I said I get flashed all the time. Two times this morning driving to work in the dark. I wonder if it's my driving lights as I put the factory ones in my aftermarket Warn bumper? Maybe they are causing issues for oncoming traffic?

shokker70

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
Had that issue with the LEDs. Currently back with halogens. Don't seem to get the flashes the way I did before. My girlfriend complained about how bright they were whenever I would follow her somewhere at night.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The lights are adjustable down. Just bring the drivers side down a bit if you want to be considerate.

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
When I upgraded to LEDs I adjusted them to match the halogens cut off line, but I would get on comers flashing me. So I adjusted 2-3" lower. I think LEDs are just so bright in comparison to halogens that oncoming traffic just assume they are maladjusted.

Sponsored

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mikeđź–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I get high beam flashed, and usually light bar flashed by pretty much everyone at night. I've adjusted mine the best I can, within reason, to accommodate myself and others... but it still isn't enough. I just make sure I look away and not right at the car so I don't get blinded

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I have aftermarket LEDs and when I installed them, I simply tightened them in place like the factory halogen assemblies were. I've never been flashed unless I forget to dim my high beams.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Have LED and have yet to get flashed. I am stock height Sport S so maybe that helps since I sit on 245s, etc.

I remember driving a miata and stopping at red lights was so painful if LED was behind me. Once a truck driver behind me actually turned off his headlights when we were sitting at a red light….talk about considerate!

If they are aimed correctly, just leave it be. Some people are just not used to LED yet oncoming or are more sensitive to it. If I have a SD truck coming my way with LEDs I know they are going to be bright as hell so I look to the right. LED is the future so people will just have to get used to it.

Here is an interesting article:

https://slate.com/business/2022/03/...ight-what-regulators-are-doing-to-fix-it.html

GOCAMPN

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Disabled Military Retired
Stock headlights here, and 99% of the time I have my fogs 'off'. I was getting flashed even on the way home from buying my JT brand new. After a few weeks of that I lined up on a local mechanic's garage door late one night and dropped them down a bit. I tape measured out the distances from the ground and from my truck based on info I found online and placed a long piece of painter tape for alignment but I went below that about 3 inches for the driver side bulb and even to the tape for the passenger. It's lower than directed but I have never been flashed again.

I would of course say its personal preference but dropping them well below online information they still work perfectly fine for me.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
I've gotten it a few times, mostly when cresting a small rise where the angle of the vehicle increases relative to oncoming traffic. I live on a very dark road and at night as I go up the hill and through the forest, I can see that the cut-off of the LEDs is very sharp. I think this is generally good for other traffic but also makes the transition for very abrupt almost like a flash. The color temperature and projector beam lensing make the glare of LEDs very offensive.

I still find the LEDs much less offensive than the older HIDs with a blue tone and careless aiming. In Germany part of the TUV inspection was to verify light aiming for which you could fail inspection. Without a similar annual inspection system in the states there is no stick to compel drivers to pay attention to setup or penalize drivers who install poor quality or illegally bright aftermarket lights. The big full width lightbars are the worst, no need for them on the road if you aren't on a dark lonely road.

Sponsored

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Hi Alt, 2017 Wrangler, Rcky Mtn
Occupation
Finance
Are the headlights on these JT's that bright? I get flashed all the time when my lights are on dim. They are adjusted correctly so I just flash them back to let them know that they can get even brighter.
If you have any kind of lift, a leveling kit in particular you’ll want to adjust them down. EASY to do, was getting flashed myself but since adjusting haven’t had a single issue. Might want to adjust them anyway, could be the factory just didn’t quite get it right.

Don’t know how, Google does…

JTenn

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JT Overland, 21 JT Willys
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
It seems to me that now days, 99% of the time they flash you within 50 feet of passing you as if to say "F" you for having bright lights!! I get it ALL the time and my lights are nearly pointed directly at the road in front of me. I have after market LED's but they don't project a beam out very far. I just keep my hand on the trigger and blast them back as they pass. People are just ass holes any more. Even had a Wrangler light bar me the other day.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mikeđź–¤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I've often debated turning my fogs on with my headlights, just to show everyone that it isn't my high-beams that are on, just the regular headlights. But then I realized that apparently the majority of people don't even know about the high-beams/fog light thing.

Plus, it's kind of counterproductive for me to turn the fogs on too, adding even more light to their field of vision and possibly making it worse.

I generally give a quick flash back at them if they flash me to let them know that they aren't my highs. But it's usually just returned with a full-on/stay-on high beam response, or a light bar or other additional lights lol

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoy reading when people with non-factory lights - meaning the added lights, so-called "driving lights", fog lights and other lights talk about "being flashed".
What's expected when deviating from what's legal and highway approved?

Even swapping bulbs in headlights is a deviation no matter how much you argue that "they are better" or just fine. If a locality wants to fine you for your lights - they can - because technically, any change to the equipped headlights is against federal regs.

There are good ones out there - I get that and agree - but seeing people say "I get flashed" and then read "bar, fogs, driving lights" and so on - DUH.
That's the sort I wish it was legal to shoot out their lights LOL

As a side note - these are seldom correct from the factory. Then you go messing with suspension and they are less correct. Go swapping bulbs - all bets are off because you've messed with the very design and intent.

I used to get flashed a lot while towing - the air bags took care of that. I can keep the truck's rear at near curb height now keeping the headlight aim more correct.
Sponsored