Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Took us 3 days in a 110 degree shop, but we’re finally done. I wanted to post a few things, and my opinion, as I searched when I had a few tough spots and didn’t get much luck. Here we go!
  1. I am in 8th gear a lot, but my current results indicate 0 to slim gas mileage increase.
  2. It still felt peppier stock. I like the 4.88s better than the 4.10, but its still super slow. Was not a day/night difference.
  3. If you’re doing the install yourself, the crush sleeve portion of the install was very challenging. We ended up chaining the flange to the LCA.
  4. We didn’t not need to use different shims- same setup from the factory
  5. A bolt on one of the ring gears seized and we had to cut it out. Oof
  6. Overall, knowing what I know now, 4.10s were fine enough and I probably wouldn’t say this is a must-do. There’s just so much involved with a regear that I wouldn’t recommend it unless you really hate the driving experience. This is absolutely not a DIY project

Edit-- 200 miles in. So far so good, no leaks and no noises. Couple of things to note now that I've had some more seat time:

1. MPG improvement is [mixed]
2. Quality of life improvement is somewhat better-- it takes a lot less pedal, and a lot less pressure to both start off, and maintain any speed.
3. 4HI is usable. This is a big A-ha actually. Previously, I found 4hi to be fairly worthless. I used it a bunch this past weekend, as I could actually -go- without it bogging down or feeling like I needed to really give it gas.

Edit 2-- 500 miles in. MPG is 15.6. Bleh. Enjoying 4HI, but would be happier if the MPG increased instead of decreased.

Edit 3-- Did the oil change at 499.5 miles. Front was sparkling clean, which is to be expected from the lack of constant load. I did go into 4hi and 4lo, but it just isn't enough to get close to the rear. The rear's oil was much darker. The drain plug had a fair, but not excessive, amount of sludge with metallic crystals in it. No chunks, but more metal than I've seen in a drain pan. I pulled the cover to inspect the ring gear but I didn't see anything abnormal or even suspicious. (Even if I did, not much I could do, eh?) With 75-140 in now instead of 75-90, I saw a 19 mpg trip to work this morning all city. So we'll see how it goes.

Edit 4- Two gas tanks came and went after the oil change. MPGs are.... (drum roll).... 16.7. Literally the same as pre-gearing, to the tenth. I'm prepared to confirm that re-gearing from 4.10 to 4.88 will result in slim to no gas mileage increase.

Edit 5- Just filled up. 16.7 MPG per dash computer.
Edit6- 16.3 on this last tank. Camping trip up/down mountain, 4lo for some of it.

Jeep Gladiator We installed 4.88s from a 4.10. (37” tire). Review, tips, and notes inside! C0036A0A-9E24-4B5A-9D05-10C2B564CC91

Jeep Gladiator We installed 4.88s from a 4.10. (37” tire). Review, tips, and notes inside! 55232F88-2586-49EE-9F77-BAB43C9C4275

Jeep Gladiator We installed 4.88s from a 4.10. (37” tire). Review, tips, and notes inside! 006E0EC8-2921-48A2-9705-1DCD3684AED8

Jeep Gladiator We installed 4.88s from a 4.10. (37” tire). Review, tips, and notes inside! 0EAB4DA4-91A2-4170-92B9-F0A58BDF2F43

Jeep Gladiator We installed 4.88s from a 4.10. (37” tire). Review, tips, and notes inside! 3F432AAB-0B14-4A92-A60A-73147BF09E53
Sponsored

Last edited:

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Took us 3 days in a 110 degree shop, but we’re finally done. I wanted to post a few things, and my opinion, as I searched when I had a few tough spots and didn’t get much luck. Here we go!
  1. Mpg improved a decent amount. I am in 8th gear a lot.
  2. It still felt peppier stock. I like the 4.88s better than the 4.10, but its still super slow.
  3. If you’re doing the install yourself, the crush sleeve portion of the install was very challenging. We ended up chaining the flange to the LCA.
  6. Overall, knowing what I know now, 4.10s were fine enough and I probably wouldn’t say this is a must-do. There’s just so much involved with a regear that I wouldn’t recommend it unless you really hate the driving experience. This is absolutely not a DIY project

Jeep Gladiator We installed 4.88s from a 4.10. (37” tire). Review, tips, and notes inside! 3F432AAB-0B14-4A92-A60A-73147BF09E53
I did that on my 70 Chevy II with a 327, but I was 20 years old and just out of tracked vehicle mechanic school and used the shop on the base. I would never attempt it now. Good on you.

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
  1. Mpg improved a decent amount. I am in 8th gear a lot.
  2. It still felt peppier stock. I like the 4.88s better than the 4.10, but its still super slow.

What were the before and after numbers on your mpg?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
5.13:1 for me and my 37’s on the 3.6, but I’m at high altitude and tow frequently. It drives great. I see 8th gear frequently.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
What were the before and after numbers on your mpg?
16.7 before, which is about on par, and 17.6 after 1 normal trip. It’s reading 20 mpg now, but that’s due to the break in driving— about 40 mph top speed.

This isn’t a “don’t regear” thread, but I know a LOT of people are on 4.10s and wondering if it’s worth it to jump to 4.88s. On my old Jeep, the jump from 3.21s to 4.56 was night-day. This, from what I can tell, is not night day. More of dusk-night difference.

In a vacuum, 4.88s are spot on and would be my choice if I ordered my Jeep from a menu. But here I am in the real world, with my own shop, wholesale prices, and someone helping me install. I think part of my apprehension is that my Jeep has 16k miles, and I pulled out parts that were pretty much new. I’d be much happier inside if I knew the seals and bearings were worn.

I will update the post after the breakin period and see how I feel. :)

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
If anyone else has done there own gears, I really want to know how you held the flange while giving it 360 lbs ft of torque. I didn’t see that in any install video or write up and is easily the hardest part. We borrowed an impact gun that resembled a Gatling gun and weighed about 50 pounds, but it still spun the flange. Lost about a half day trying to figure that out!

tommyp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow
If anyone else has done there own gears, I really want to know how you held the flange while giving it 360 lbs ft of torque. I didn’t see that in any install video or write up and is easily the hardest part. We borrowed an impact gun that resembled a Gatling gun and weighed about 50 pounds, but it still spun the flange. Lost about a half day trying to figure that out!
They make pinion flange tools that you bolt on then put a pipe in them to anchor off to whatever on the jeep.

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/yoke-tool.html

You can see it in use in this video for our axles it should link to the time where he is using it 10:30 or so in.

OP
OP

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
Can you not hold the yoke with a large pipe wrench or adjustable or chain wrench,

Good post, I'm ready to regear and do a pedal commander,

really interesting that you didn't have to shim, getting the mesh and pattern is a big thing and requires great attention,

What brand of gears did you use? and what comes with them,

Thanks

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
When you say you found 4HI unusable prior to the re-gear, are you specifically referring to the 37s, or did you feel that way with 33s stock?

I use it all the time and it seems great to me, wondering if I'm missing something :p

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
5.13:1 for me and my 37’s on the 3.6, but I’m at high altitude and tow frequently. It drives great. I see 8th gear frequently.
I was waffling between 4.88 and 5.13 for so long but I ended up ordering 5.13

I got my 37s this week but i'm not able to do gears until the end of July so i'm getting a good feel for them on stock gearing. Since my new tires are XTs compared to MTs they're about the same weight so I hardly feel any butt in seat difference. However, I have not been offroad yet and have only been down here in the flatlands

I plan on buying a boat this winter so Im glad to hear 5.13 and 37s is a good combo

Oh yeah, 100% having this done by pros

COMPY

First Name
hiram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
You have to reprogramming the computer in order to the transmission shift fine ?
Is mandatory ?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You have to reprogramming the computer in order to the transmission shift fine ?
Is mandatory ?
Definitely mandatory after a regear.

khockey02

First Name
Kalem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Thanks for the write-up. I agree, coming from 3.73 to 4.88 with 37” KO2s. There is certainly a quality of life increase driving through the mountains, towing, etc. but given the hassle and $2,000, I’d be happy sticking with the stock setup if I could go back. Especially if I’d had 4.10s
Sponsored