Sponsored

We need to talk about the “Jeep Wave”

As a Gladiator owner, do you want to wave at Wranglers?

• Total voters
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Oh man don't start with this. Climate change is happening and i have countless research articles proving it in addition to whats already happened. It has near uniform support from the scientific community as well. This is rare and just goes to show you how the data leads to that conclusion. I studied it for years. The Navy is preparing and working hard to deal with it as its a direct threat to some of our bases. They also have some of the best models for it. Now what proof do you have for the weird conspiracy stuff you said? No, nevermind. This isn't the place for it. This is my happy jeep forum place where i don't have to deal with such things.
I just happen to know environmental engineers, but whatever... And articles are never ever 1-sided or biased, right? Same with scientists doing research to reach conclusions based on the people who paid them to, right?

We'll agree to disagree.
Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I just happen to know environmental engineers, but whatever... And articles are never ever 1-sided or biased, right? Same with scientists doing research to reach conclusions based on the people who paid them to, right?

We'll agree to disagree.
Sounds good. As a chemical/environmental engineer, I should note that in defense of my own integrity as a researcher that I was never once asked for a specific conclusion for my research with the grant money and honestly I don't know anyone in the climatology field that has been. The only examples of that I've seen are those working at places like BP and Exxon and their research would never make it through peer review. I also worked and still work very hard to minimize bias as is the standard for scientific research.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Well, damnit, its my own fault. I put out an example of someone not even liking the weather channel after someone else said they only can trust the weather channel and then this happened. I'd say ignore my comment and move on with the good stuff: Jeep stuff.
I'll give you a Jeep wave. Feel better?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well I had a family in law member tell me the weather than was fake because it mentioned climate change so there's a fun argument i had following that statement.
LOL - my position in that is rather hard to explain. Let's see - the magnetic poles have flipped at least, what, 3 times, we've had multiple ice ages, we had the dark ages caused by volcanic action, the first life turned the oceans red because they introduced oxygen into the oceans causing the dissolved iron to rust. The atmosphere was loaded with carbon before trees came along, glaciers used to be in Iowa............ so even if we were not even on the planet, things would change.
But why not be careful? I feed birds, plant trees, care for almost 3 acres, I recycle, I compost, I minimize burning. I don't go off the deep end, but see no reason to not be a bit like the Native Americans were....... I see no reason to not be careful.
I could really go on - but won't.
But I do have a question - when they say "the USA introduced xxx tons of carbon into the air in 2019", who measured that? No one asked me how much carbon I released into the air. How do they know Canada didn't do some of that? Maybe it was China and they are lying about it?
How can anyone say any specific country put so much of anything into the air? There's no sensors on my tail pipes, they don't know how much LP I burned heating my shop, they don't know how long that diesel train sat on the track by Runnells pumping carbon into the air.
How can you quantify something like that- it's like saying "100 people peed in the Des Moines pool last week - how do you know - maybe it was only 70 who had to REALLY pee badly.
There's not an air barrier between countries.

Last edited:

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL - my position in that is rather hard to explain. Let's see - the magnetic poles have flipped at least, what, 3 times, we've had multiple ice ages, we had the dark ages caused by volcanic action, the first live turned the oceans red because they introduced oxygen into the oceans causing the dissolved iron to rust. The atmosphere was loaded with carbon before trees came along, glaciers used to be in Iowa............ so even if we were not even on the planet, things would change.
But why not be careful? I feed birds, plant trees, care for almost 3 acres, I recycle, I compost, I minimize burning. I don't go off the deep end, but see no reason to not be a bit like the Native Americans were....... I see no reason to not be careful.
I could really go on - but won't.
But I do have a question - when they say "the USA introduced xxx tons of carbon into the air in 2019", who measured that? No one asked me how much carbon I released into the air. How do they know Canada didn't do some of that? Maybe it was China and they are lying about it?
How can anyone say any specific country put so much of anything into the air? There's no sensors on my tail pipes, they don't know how much LP I burned heating my shop, they don't know how long that diesel train sat on the track by Runnells pumping carbon into the air.
How can you quantify something like that- it's like saying "100 people peed in the Des Moines pool last week - how do you know - maybe it was only 70 who had to REALLY pee badly.
There's not an air barrier between countries.
Well yeah they're estimates for so many sources so that induces some error there of course. It's well known that A good chunk of the smog on the southern west coast is actually from China. We can accurately measure some emissions like from factories but with cars there's counts and all manner of ways to estimate. Luckily the anthropogenic addition to the naturally CO2 cycle is easy to tease out. Mostly because the naturally rise and fall of CO2 is very even. So when it's way above the natural level and increasing at a rate way faster than happens naturally, well we know who did it. One of the biggest tells isn't just measuring the air but the effect that CO2 is having on the ocean. Temperatures and acidification etc.
I'm definitely with you. Why not be careful? Why not keep the water and air and land clean? Seems like it's worth it not just for those of us that do outdoor stuff but for my kids and future generations.

Sponsored

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Oh man, I only really skimmed over this thread—how many years do we have before the Jeep Wave destroys the East Coast? Do our trucks have enough clearance to Ford the Wave? If my wave is above the water-line, but my truck is below, how do I know the gender of the wave-back? How’s your ACL? Are we drug testing forum members now? Are Cherokees with big tires considered transitioning Wranglers by NPR? I think I need to know...

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Why not be careful? Why not keep the water and air and land clean? Seems like it's worth it not just for those of us that do outdoor stuff but for my kids and future generations.
The problem I have with the "climate change" movement, is that it is a political movement, not a scientific one. The science gets completely lost in both the politics and the PC culture.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
I'm a Wrangler JL guy and I wave at Gladiators! In the market so just starting to look at Gladiators..........when I'm in the Gladiator, I will wave to Wranglers. Most drivers wave, we have a pretty cool bunch here in the Southern Outer Banks!

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem I have with the "climate change" movement, is that it is a political movement, not a scientific one. The science gets completely lost in both the politics and the PC culture.
Agreed. The science is surprisingly cohesive and the conclusions from the scientific community are as well but yeah the politics on it isn't. Probably due to politicians mostly being scientifically illiterate or just plain corrupt and in the pockets of big oil. The stuff politicians convey to the masses is often so wrong and misleading. It really boggles my mind how some of these politicians finished middle school with the stupid crap they say. I'm glad at least the DoD isn't standing down on it and working on the threat to the mission unlike most of the 3rd world and the USA.

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I feel I should break these out and answer them. :)

how many years do we have before the Jeep Wave destroys the East Coast? 42. It's the universal answer.

Do our trucks have enough clearance to Ford the Wave? Only with the Max Tow package and above. If you have those little air foils between your fender and bumper....you are screwed.

If my wave is above the water-line, but my truck is below, how do I know the gender of the wave-back? The wave generally denotes the water line.....but, you look at the rear of the Jeep to see if it has testicles. On a Dodge we call them Dodge balls. A modified Jeep, may be trans. In this case, look at the trans-fer case.

How’s your ACL? Mine is peachy.

Are we drug testing forum members now? Gladiator forum breathalyzers will be issued by the mods soon. Then we can tell when a post truly blows.

Are Cherokees with big tires considered transitioning Wranglers by NPR? I think I need to know...
Depends on what pronoun they prefer.

Sponsored

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I've only been driving a Jeep since 2015, or as some might say a REAL Jeep since 2020. I took my lifted, modified to the hilt Renegade places 95% of Jeep drivers in my state would never dare go. Never got one wave. Granted I was probably viewed as little brother crashing the parents not at home kegger and that's okay but I was going places, seeing places, doing Jeep things other "Jeepers" dream about. When I got my Gladiator in March, 2020 until I put larger tires on and a few other mods the only people that waved were fellow Gladiators. Post mods, modified Wranglers wave all the time. So please excuse me if I don't wave back. Anyway where I grew up in the Iowa countryside we waved to everyone.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's the beef of many of us. The politicians and radicals jumped all over it and tried to ram it down throats, no talking about it, no negotiating, no discussion, we are right, everyone else is wrong, period, and we're going to tax you for it. Then along come VP Gore and his faked Hollyweed videos.........

Had the politicians stayed back and the radicals kept shut, it would have been a lot easier to discuss nicely and defenses wouldn't have come up, hackles would not have been raised.

I had a WONDERFUL honest discussion with two women in Alaska who work up there on the topic - the history of the state, the wildlife, you name it. They were glad to talk about it but were relaxed and non-threatening. One worked at a museum and was some sort of naturalist or something. Very nice, good folks who would sit and discuss.

Right now the only wave in Iowa is heat, unless drought is a wave. Trying to stay cool, thankful my shop has a minisplit (AC) and I don't HAVE to go anywhere today. But that damn JT - it's calling to me, "drive me, drive me, you know you want to........."

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I remember in the 80's in grade school reading in the Weekly Reader that rainforests would be gone by 2000, there would be no more ozone layer, the oceans would be uninhabitable for ocean creatures, acid rain would dissolve your house, etc., etc. If one goes to a 3rd world country or even a developed former state of the Soviet Eastern bloc one can see how clean the good ole US of A is. The problem with the climate change/global warming mantra is that it has turned into a religion. There was once a garden of Eden, original sin, atonement, 2nd coming...you get the idea. I don't disagree there is not climate change. It changes every day and every year. In the middle ages the climate in Scandinavia was warm enough for them to grow grapes. Things change all the time. I have a hard time believing it is caused by me driving a Suburban to haul my family around while those who push this religion drive around in a 30 SUV motorcade and take private jets all over the world to have meetings that condemn me for doing so. Science is highly politicized, when I see an article or such thing that states "a consensus of scientists..." I am naturally skeptic. Science isn't consensus if anything it is a way to prove there is no consensus. That being said I do have solar panels on my house. Not because I believe it will save the planet but because it saves money on my electric bill so I will have more cash to make more mods on my JT.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I remember in the 80's in grade school reading in the Weekly Reader that rainforests would be gone by 2000, there would be no more ozone layer, the oceans would be uninhabitable for ocean creatures, acid rain would dissolve your house, etc., etc. If one goes to a 3rd world country or even a developed former state of the Soviet Eastern bloc one can see how clean the good ole US of A is. The problem with the climate change/global warming mantra is that it has turned into a religion. There was once a garden of Eden, original sin, atonement, 2nd coming...you get the idea. I don't disagree there is not climate change. It changes every day and every year. In the middle ages the climate in Scandinavia was warm enough for them to grow grapes. Things change all the time. I have a hard time believing it is caused by me driving a Suburban to haul my family around while those who push this religion drive around in a 30 SUV motorcade and take private jets all over the world to have meetings that condemn me for doing so. Science is highly politicized, when I see an article or such thing that states "a consensus of scientists..." I am naturally skeptic. Science isn't consensus if anything it is a way to prove there is no consensus. That being said I do have solar panels on my house. Not because I believe it will save the planet but because it saves money on my electric bill so I will have more cash to make more mods on my JT.
Electricity is cheap here - but I had thought about solar panels charging up a bank of batteries to act as a "UPS" when the power goes out here - we do have quite a few times that it goes out, if not for a few minutes, for a few hours. Car hits a pole, squirrel gets tangled up at some station, that sort of thing, or a bird craps on the wire - there goes the power. Last time it was several hours because a car hit a pole 5 miles away. And my wife would be pissed if she was in the middle of quilting a big quilt when that happened - oh, boy - it would stop that big machine right now, possible do damage.
We're all electric now save for the LP infrared heat in my shop (since the minisplit can't handle heating that big volume).

That's one of the words that drove me nuts on this - consensus - really? Then why are all of these scientists over here disputing some of the findings? That argument, that word, is used to try to stop people from disagreeing - well, there IS a consensus, so you are alone if you disagree with any of this. Yeah, right. That also gets people all defensive.
Leave out the hardliners, radicals and politicians and maybe some people will be willing to listen!

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Electricity is cheap here - but I had thought about solar panels charging up a bank of batteries to act as a "UPS" when the power goes out here
I was thinking about batteries so I could get off the grid but they are just as or even more expensive than the panels. I see you're from Iowa. I lived there for 28 years in Sheffield, just south of Mason City. Never heard of Runnels but I see its by Red Rock and not far from Knoxville. I've done a lot of work down by there many years ago and always loved being in town for the Grand Nationals!!!
Sponsored