Sponsored

We need to talk about the “Jeep Wave”

As a Gladiator owner, do you want to wave at Wranglers?

• Total voters
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Lorribell1964

First Name
Lorri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Compliance Analyst
Yes, Wranglers and Gladiators wave. Same front end. A Jeep with a bed. Except I noticed the few Gladiators I've waved at haven't waved back. I think it has brought out new Jeep owners who don't know about the wave. I met a white Gladiator turning into a parking lot. I got excited and waved and smiled. The woman driving looked so confused. And didn't wave back or smile. Maybe it was her husband's truck and she didn't understand?

Lorribell1964

First Name
Lorri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Compliance Analyst
I saw someone else ask in another thread “do we still wave at wranglers?”

I want to talk about the Jeep Wave in general.

I’ll start by giving some context: I bought my first jeep in 1995 and it was a 1987 Wangler Laredo. Brown, much like the one in the photo.

Back then, you could go three or four days without seeing a single Wrangler. When you did you really did want to wave at that person; they shared something with you that not everyone understood: an absolute love of something uncompromising, uncomfortable, inconvenient, a singularly focused off road machine. It was a brotherhood. It was really cool.

I only had that Jeep for a few years, it was an absolute shit show mechanically; not a smart vehicle to have for a 19-year-old in college.

Fast forward to 2015, and I bought my second wrangler, a 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock. Copper brown of course.

I quickly noticed something: I practically had to keep my “Jeep Wave“ up for my entire trip. I’d see 15 Wanglers on the way to baseball practice. Wranglers had lost their exclusivity, their coolness. I wasn’t too keen on waving to the soccer mom in her jacked up, mean face Wrangler.

Regrettably I sold it a few years later.

All this is to say as soon as Gobi becomes available for 2021, I will order my Gladiator Mojave.

I’m probably not going to be waving at the 30+ Wranglers I’ll be seeing every day.

You can bet your ass I’ll be throwing it up to the Gladiators...Looking forward to that exclusivity again!

25075E67-7EAF-4168-9B99-6806DB423090.jpeg

8DD7F681-7462-4D0B-8803-BD2576219374.jpeg
I believe Jeep people are inclusive and Wave at all Jeeps. Lets remember, the Jeep wave was around long before the Wrangler. I am a new Jeep owner (four weeks). Its my first Jeep. I have a Gladiator. I haven't seen another on the road yet. But what I have seen, unfortunately, is a fair amout of ugliness reguarding how my Jeep looks by very young people in their Wanglers. So, may be me thinking Jeep people were inclusive....was not really true.

Sponsored

Lorribell1964

First Name
Lorri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Compliance Analyst
I saw someone else ask in another thread “do we still wave at wranglers?”

I want to talk about the Jeep Wave in general.

I’ll start by giving some context: I bought my first jeep in 1995 and it was a 1987 Wangler Laredo. Brown, much like the one in the photo.

Back then, you could go three or four days without seeing a single Wrangler. When you did you really did want to wave at that person; they shared something with you that not everyone understood: an absolute love of something uncompromising, uncomfortable, inconvenient, a singularly focused off road machine. It was a brotherhood. It was really cool.

I only had that Jeep for a few years, it was an absolute shit show mechanically; not a smart vehicle to have for a 19-year-old in college.

Fast forward to 2015, and I bought my second wrangler, a 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock. Copper brown of course.

I quickly noticed something: I practically had to keep my “Jeep Wave“ up for my entire trip. I’d see 15 Wanglers on the way to baseball practice. Wranglers had lost their exclusivity, their coolness. I wasn’t too keen on waving to the soccer mom in her jacked up, mean face Wrangler.

Regrettably I sold it a few years later.

All this is to say as soon as Gobi becomes available for 2021, I will order my Gladiator Mojave.

I’m probably not going to be waving at the 30+ Wranglers I’ll be seeing every day.

You can bet your ass I’ll be throwing it up to the Gladiators...Looking forward to that exclusivity again!

25075E67-7EAF-4168-9B99-6806DB423090.jpeg

8DD7F681-7462-4D0B-8803-BD2576219374.jpeg
Yes, Wranglers and Gladiators wave. Same front end. A Jeep with a bed. Except I noticed the few Gladiators I've waved at haven't waved back. I think it has brought out new Jeep owners who don't know about the wave. I met a white Gladiator turning into a parking lot. I got excited and waved and smiled. The woman driving looked so confused. And didn't wave back or smile. Maybe it was her husband's truck and she didn't understand?
I guess I thought that Jeep people were inclusive. I bought my first Jeep three weeks ago. I havent had an issue with some people not waving. I have had a fair amount of ugliness from youth driving their Wanglers who dont like the look of my Gladiator. Lets remember, the Jeep wave started long before the Wrangler. I guess thinking Jeep people were inclusive was not really true.

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
So in my book any Jeep you can't take the doors and top off and go adventuring gets no wave.
In my case, every time my JT is doorless and I meet another doorless Jeep (JT, JL, JK, TJ, etc.), it’s a 100% Wave success rate!

ADK Tiro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Music Teacher
I guess I thought that Jeep people were inclusive. I bought my first Jeep three weeks ago. I havent had an issue with some people not waving. I have had a fair amount of ugliness from youth driving their Wanglers who dont like the look of my Gladiator. Lets remember, the Jeep wave started long before the Wrangler. I guess thinking Jeep people were inclusive was not really true.
Since my last post, I’ve seen more Jeepers waving. Most of them were in JL Wranglers (I purposefully make the distinction here). I have yet to see any aggressiveness from ANY driver I’ve come across. Now stupidity, on the other hand...

Anyway, sorry for any ugliness that’s been directed your way...you pointed out they were youth. Perhaps a generational thing, not so much a Jeep thing...

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S on 39's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Tool Man
I put it to the test.

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
I'm new to the jeep thing and i wave at anything that is even remotely jeep. Cherokees, Renegades, Compass, anything! If you don't wave back i just drive up behind you and flash my lights until i see a hand. Some people have all sorts of lame excuses as to why they didn't wave to me like, "oh i didn't see you on the other side of the freeway" or "i was turning and couldn't wave" or "I don't wave to brownies" or "how did you get in the back seat" but i don't care because it takes dedication to build a community.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
In my case, every time my JT is doorless and I meet another doorless Jeep (JT, JL, JK, TJ, etc.), it’s a 100% Wave success rate!
Ah, so you wave at naked things..........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase