Sponsored

We need to talk about the “Jeep Wave”

As a Gladiator owner, do you want to wave at Wranglers?

• Total voters

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
The Jeep "Wave" is really nice during Covid... It lifts my spirit just a tad.... Hard to give that up... -- Especially, when they lean out the window and wave !

Note: I have a hand print "wave instigator" sticker on my driver's side view mirror. This really gets the other Jeeps waving !

Jeep Gladiator We need to talk about the “Jeep Wave” q2SIT3
Sponsored

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Only way to know that is to determine if 87 octane or 93 is better.
I run both

In different vehicles. Because one requires 93 and the other has no use for it.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I’ve been driving Jeeps a long time starting in 1976 with flat fender CJ2A, the first Jeep! Had a 82 Scrambler and off roaded more then, and jeeps were far less common. But having a young women in a wrangler, TJ, CJ , FC, Gladiator or anything wave to a 63 old guy in a gladiator or my wife’s JL with a daisy spare tire cover.....are you kidding me, damn right I’m waving back! I wave to every jeep I see and am glad I am apparently popular! If a Jeep doesn’t wave back ,I just figure they just don’t get it and probably not someone I want to consider my friend anyway!! Ha!......Jack

PS, my 1946 CJ2A is still running owned by a friend, it has had two owners after my 7 years , my brother (11years) and my buddy (26)! Willys are not too common on the roads any more.

Sponsored

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I think OP is right. Older jeeps were much fewer because it was more of a chore to drive them and put up with their ergos and lackluster performance. I always loved the idea of a jeep but never thought about owning one until they caught up with everyone else in terms quality and performance(2012).

So when you saw a jeep back then it was cool to acknowledge another owner out on the road that understood what you went through owning and operating a jeep.

Now everyone wants one and they sell because FCA grew some balls and did a bunch of stuff right. Its attracted a much broader consumer base and you can tell by some of the posts on this board and that's a good thing because that means quality has improved and many of these new owners will hold the manufacturer accountable rather than calling it a jeep thing and quality will continue to improve and Tacoma owners will still be sneering with their decade old platforms.

I dont wave most of the time though but do every now and then.

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
They both look pretty much the same from in oncoming traffic. Not really sure how I would filter out a Gladiator from a Wrangler until it is too late to Wave. I am not a great Wave giver. I Wave when I notice another Jeep but my focus is really on not hitting stuff and I miss some waves. My wife on the other hand is a prodigious wave giver in her Wrangler.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I always wave at all wranglers and gladiators. I find that here in south Fl, not many wave back. Out in S Utah a few weeks ago, almost all waved back...

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Occupation
Retired
Over on the JL side there is a thread going about should we wave at the Bronco when it comes out or just any 4 wheeler. Heresy.

Like the others mentioned I wave if it has a Wrangler front end - JL, JK, JT, TJ, CJ. But I miss some because everyone knows all Jeeps have terrible steering and I'm usually so busy keeping it on the road because of its 8 inch of dead spot that I often don't see any oncoming traffic.;)

Sponsored

Victory

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler JKU, 2020 Gladiator Mojave
I suppose that’s part of the reason I like living out in the country. I waive to everybody, no matter what kind of vehicle they’re in, and everyone else does the same. It’s funny, you hear the same thing on motorcycle pages about whether people should always waive to each other or not depending on brand. Hell, I’m just saying “hey” to another human being, don’t care what they’re riding/driving, and I don’t care if they waive back or not!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I've gotten 2 middle fingers in the last week... The 1st was going opposite ways down the interstate by some young punk in a beat up POS Wrangler (looked to be a late-90's model).

The 2nd one was today on the way home from work some butt-fucker in a nearly-stock lime-green JKU, driving through the town I have to pass through on the way home, almost got his ass whooped, because he made an extra effort to wait till I waved first, then waved, and slowly turned his hand upside-down and shot me a bird. He's lucky I didn't hit the brakes and spin it around, or his geriatric ass would have been eating meat though a straw a few years ahead of schedule...

I don't have a problem with someone not liking something, but to go out of their way to be a douchebag about it, is what pisses me off. Just don't f*cking wave back. It's that simple.

Same thing with YouTube... You don't have like my videos, but you don't have to leave a f*cking thumbs-down either... That's just unnecessary dickhole behavior. If I watch a video I don't like, I just click on something else, I don't leave a nasty comment or hit the thumbs-down button... WTF is wrong with people today. Everyone is entitled as if they are an important person, when 99.9% of us don't mean shit to the grand scheme of things outside of our own lives.

Last edited:

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Of course not! Because the Wranglers are similar but not exactly the same, we have to hate them, like all other things in life. I’m in MN, so I have to hate WI. Same thing.

Now it’s hard to tell the difference between a Gladiator (good, wave) and Wrangler (bad, no wave) straight on, so pay close attention and don’t f**k this up!

canyonrat

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Gladiator Rubicon, 2005 Jeep TJ RME
I don't understand the Gladiator wave-hate from Wrangler owners. Many of us (esp on the forum) have owned Wranglers, I've had three. In Denver, there are just too many Jeeps to wave to everyone, it would be a chore. I'll usually wave to built Wranglers if eye-contact is made. Other Gladiators I give the thumbs-up.

Side note, I kind of hate the name "Wrangler" anyway. After CJ's they should have stuck with that and had YJ, TJ, JK. I have almost never referred to any of my past Jeeps as a "Wrangler" in conversation. A buddy of mine used to call my '93 YJ the "wuh-rangler".
Sponsored