Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I had to screw my wench down hard so it wouldn't fall off.
Sponsored

Kch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon,1932 ford sedan,1932 ford coupe,1931 ford sedan,1959 Olds custom1959 Olds custom
I run a fab four matrix front bumper on my JTR, with a smitty 10 K waterproof winch. It has a low mounting position. The winch is completely below the top of the bumper. No interference with the trail cam.
On the rear I run a road Armour hidden winch bumper, with a Warn 8500S winch. It is also completely hidden, and does not interfere with the rear camera either.

TIKIBROMAN

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 2019 Lexus ES300H
Get a wench that also does not mind going topless. It is one of the best features of your new Jeep!

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
My wench is a ton of fun but you have to take care of it. I find that about once a month my wench will get pretty wound tight and bunched up. Not great for the wench, but it seems like a regular occurrence.

I try to get the wench to unwind. Once the wench’s cable is sufficiently loosened, I lube it up and put the wench to work—logs, bush, whatever I can put the wench to task on to keep it tight. Once the wench has torqued back to spec, I focus on maintaining its health with a good cover to protect from harsh elements and UV rays.

As fun as it is to drive around with the wench fully bared on your front bumper,—fairlead for all to see—one of the worst things for a wench is UV light. You’d be surprised how too much exposure to the sun when the wench is new, will cause it to look far more worn before the warranty is even up.

Try to keep your wench covered, but don’t be ashamed to occasionally show it off to your buddies at get-togethers. I just wouldn’t let any knuckleheads try to perform any routine maintenance on your wench—that’s YOUR wench, can you really trust your wench if you can’t account for all the maintenance or how it’s been used?

Of course, sometimes we all have to realize our own resources are not infinite and may need to settle for a used wench—a used wench can be just as great, if not better than one that’s never been mounted. You just need to give it some tests before going all-in. Be sure to have some shop gloves handy.

Happy wenching!

Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
thank you all for your response did not realize my spelling error at first I meant winch
Okay, I'm not going to deny that I clicked on this thread only because of that misspelling. ;-)

Here, I hope, is some related info that may prove useful to you. I was concerned about the trail camera blockage installing lights on the steel OEM bumper. So, I mocked up a couple options for lighting. There is already a winch (Warn 10S) installed, along with the OEM winch hoop. It was necessary for me to remove that winch hoop once I did the actual lights install--no big deal. But, these should give you an idea of what to expect after mounting a winch and other accessories ...

Three simulated KC 6" LED Slimlites ...
Jeep Gladiator Wench Gladiator, Jan 20, CP_122442, Three Mock SlimLites (Front View)

Jeep Gladiator Wench Gladiator, Jan 20, CP_122630, Three Mock SlimLites (Trail Cam View)

Four simulated KC 4" LZR lights ...
Jeep Gladiator Wench Gladiator, Jan 20, CP_124322, Three Mock LZR Lites (Front View)

Jeep Gladiator Wench Gladiator, Jan 20, CP_124354, Three Mock LZR Lites (Trail Cam View)

Based on those mock-ups, I ended up going with the LZR lights.
Jeep Gladiator Wench Gladiator, Jun 20, 5_5347, They Work Through Aux Switch!

FYI, some bumpers mount the winch up high. I don't care for that style of mount because the greatest strength for hard pulls is lower, between the frame rails. Hard pulls also require a proper winch plate and skid plate to reinforce the winch mounting. So, if someone is looking at something that puts a winch that is more than trips-to-Starbucks decoration up high, I encourage them to keep looking. Also, some winches are pretty tall. The Warn 10S is one of the lower height ones. The PowerPlant on my Wrangler is significantly taller ...
Jeep Gladiator Wench Gladiator, Jun 20, CP_171435, 12 Hours After Start

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
OMG!! Just got off three straight days of 12 hour shifts, dealt with a chase, drunks, domestic fights, stolen vehicles and wanted felons (and all associated paperwork). This thread has made me laugh so hard I'm crying!! Absolutely has made my day!! I'll continue to watch this one.... Thanks all!

Sponsored

mrmetonajeep

First Name
Vinny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Be careful. You may be violating federal and state laws using a trail cam and a wench.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
OMG!! Just got off three straight days of 12 hour shifts, dealt with a chase, drunks, domestic fights, stolen vehicles and wanted felons (and all associated paperwork). This thread has made me laugh so hard I'm crying!! Absolutely has made my day!! I'll continue to watch this one.... Thanks all!
From the sounds of your work you probably come across a lot of Worn Wenchs.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
One wrong letter, and off it goes . . .

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
From the sounds of your work you probably come across a lot of Worn Wenchs.
Did have to deal with 2 excessively worn wenches as well this weekend. As much as they were whining and grinding during operation they're in need of replacing, plenty more in line behind them. I will admit they were much older models.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Did have to deal with 2 excessively worn wenches as well this weekend. As much as they were whining and grinding during operation they're in need of replacing, plenty more in line behind them. I will admit they were much older models.
Age of the wench is not so important. At least for those of us who have been around a long time. But proper maintenance and lubrication is a must.
Sponsored