Sponsored

What do I need to go off road the first time?

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Let me tell you from experience... If your winch control and recovery equipment is under a back seat where you keep dogs, and you have to open the back door to get to it while in a mud pit, and the dogs freak out when you try to lift the seat, and jump out into the mud pit, you will have regret.
Sponsored

Dragonfly

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mojave, '22 GC Trailhawk 4xe
Occupation
Education
I live in your state and have been all over Uwharrie and the Smokies and my advice to you is don't overthink this. Unless you're doing something silly (Jeeps in general can take you to places where you DO NOT belong, and they WILL kill you if you're stupid), your Jeep the way it comes out of the factory will take you anywhere you want to go as a new off-roader. And this area is not Moab... Again, unless you want to run well beyond your personal capabilities.

Google IFAK and get a good one, and get trained in first-aid, the WAY biggest concern is not getting stuck, it's getting hurt while you're miles away from a doctor. This is an aspect of being in the great outdoors that I seldom see covered here or anywhere in Forums.

So cover first-aid and survival needs FIRST... Then worry about accessorizing your Jeep AFTER you figure out what you actually need from real world EXPERIENCE.

Happy trails...
I would also add to have plenty of water and quick food/energy bars packed with you...you never know how long you might be out there!

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I just didn't want to destroy the side of my new Jeep with the plastic running boards
Mine have held up for many trips off-roading here in Michigan.
I've even had the frame on dirt mounds without breaking the skis because the frame contacts the ground before the skis do. I've never smashed them against a tree because I've always been careful going around such objects.

Yes to the LCA skids. No on the diff skids, they reduce ground clearance, if anything I would go with diff covers.
Look for take off Rubicon skids, I can attest to their usefulness! And have a can of black paint ready for touch ups when you get home.
You mean skis?
Not sure what the Sport has, but I know the skids on my Overland didn't seem to be much more than sheet metal or cover up some of the vulnerable parts. You might want to crawl under there to see just what's there now, paying attention to the oil pan, exhaust crossover pipe, gas tank and transmission.
Very strong sheet metal.

Last edited:

WambliSka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2022
Occupation
Business Development
I would also add to have plenty of water and quick food/energy bars packed with you...you never know how long you might be out there!
Oh absolutely! Under the back seat of my Gladiator there are 2 days of food in the form of energy bars and such. Also a few high calorie/high fat snack like Chunky bars. I have a 1 gallon Yeti full of water, 500ā€™ of high quality parachord, good quality emergency Mylar blankets, a high end machete, small axe, a few knives, 2 deep wound IFAKs with tourniquets in them, a full size general first-aid kit (wife calls it the boo-boo bagšŸ˜), 30ā€™ good climbing rope, tow strap, 500 rounds of .22 ammo and other stuff depending on where Iā€™m headed. Basically I want to make sure 48-72 hours of survival are in there Before I head into that dirt trail.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Hi Neighbor!
We moved to Pinehurst last year and are planning on going to Uwharrie later this spring taking my son who just bought his Gladiator Rubicon. We have a lot of experience Overlanding in several continents (We are going to South America in a couple of weeks).

A couple of notes. First go th the Visitorā€™s Center. There you can get a lot of information including trail maps and campgrounds that will allow you to string together a couple of trails as you see fit.
Secondly, start out with the easier trails like Wolf Den then move up to moderate trails like Slab Pile, Rocky Mtn Loop, Sawmill or Falls Dam. DO NOT ATTEMPT THE 3 Dā€™S, Dutch John, Dickey Bell and Daniel. Those require more experience and probably mods to your Jeep.

As said above, a good first aid kit, tow strap and soft shackle, food and water and a tire gauge and compressor will get you started.

Good Luck!

Oh, by the way the trails are currently closed and wonā€™t open up until sometime in April.

Sponsored

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Did Dickey Bell south to north, left to right going up; would have been fine if we werenā€™t 3ā€ low loaded with soaking wet camping gear.
Not for a first time out, I agree.

DickensCPA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Avalanche / 2004 Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CPA
Hmmm. Might give the Badlands a try then.

That's a really great idea actually. Thanks!
If you are in the Inside Track Club with Harbor Freight ($29.99/year) you can get the 12k# winch with wire rope for $299 until 2/2/23. You can get their Amsteel rope separately for $60.

When you first look to re-wrap with the synthetic you'll think "uh oh this don't fit." There are a couple of YT videos that show how and it's easy. If you go to buy the synthetic rope separately ask if they have any in returns. I got mine completely new and unused for $38 because someone opened it thought it wouldn't fit and returned it.

I gave my son my 04 Rubicon and bought myself a low mileage 17 Sahara 4-door. I NEVER used my lockers once in TN with the Rubicon. Of course back then you could only use your lockers in 4 low unless you used the paper clip hack.

Me, wife and kids did a leg of TN Dirt Devil day before yesterday and all I have is 33" Falken Wildpeaks, no lift, winch and bumper. Did it all in 2WD, a bit disappointing TBH and with all the rain it was muddy. Got a lot of mud on the Jeep but that's it. A few creek crossings and a couple decent climbs with it rutted out. Still climbed everything in 2WD.

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
If you are in the Inside Track Club with Harbor Freight ($29.99/year) you can get the 12k# winch with wire rope for $299 until 2/2/23. You can get their Amsteel rope separately for $60.

When you first look to re-wrap with the synthetic you'll think "uh oh this don't fit." There are a couple of YT videos that show how and it's easy. If you go to buy the synthetic rope separately ask if they have any in returns. I got mine completely new and unused for $38 because someone opened it thought it wouldn't fit and returned it.

I gave my son my 04 Rubicon and bought myself a low mileage 17 Sahara 4-door. I NEVER used my lockers once in TN with the Rubicon. Of course back then you could only use your lockers in 4 low unless you used the paper clip hack.

Me, wife and kids did a leg of TN Dirt Devil day before yesterday and all I have is 33" Falken Wildpeaks, no lift, winch and bumper. Did it all in 2WD, a bit disappointing TBH and with all the rain it was muddy. Got a lot of mud on the Jeep but that's it. A few creek crossings and a couple decent climbs with it rutted out. Still climbed everything in 2WD.
I was actually thinking about that winch because I was comparing it and it's way cheaper than the apex and I don't want steel line. What's the difference between the 2? Is it smaller? I know the bumper I was looking at on quadratec says it doesn't fit the apex so I was leaning towards their winch for the same price as the apex

DickensCPA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
I was actually thinking about that winch because I was comparing it and it's way cheaper than the apex and I don't want steel line. What's the difference between the 2? Is it smaller? I know the bumper I was looking at on quadratec says it doesn't fit the apex so I was leaning towards their winch for the same price as the apex
I think the only differences between the two is the Apex has a wireless remote and synthetic line. They're both 12k# so I don't know about any differences in size. The Apex may have more plastic name plating or aesthetics possibly, but side by side the only difference I see is one has an extra word on the plastic - Apex.

You can add the wireless remote for $60 and synthetic rope for $129 but usually get the rope out of returns for $40-60.

Worst case scenario you don't catch the 12k# winch on sale and pay the full $349 plus $190 for remote and synthetic rope - you're out $539. The Apex is $649 so you would save $110 just respooling the synthetic line.

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
I think the only differences between the two is the Apex has a wireless remote and synthetic line. They're both 12k# so I don't know about any differences in size. The Apex may have more plastic name plating or aesthetics possibly, but side by side the only difference I see is one has an extra word on the plastic - Apex.

You can add the wireless remote for $60 and synthetic rope for $129 but usually get the rope out of returns for $40-60.

Worst case scenario you don't catch the 12k# winch on sale and pay the full $349 plus $190 for remote and synthetic rope - you're out $539. The Apex is $649 so you would save $110 just respooling the synthetic line.
Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing. I just didn't know if it for the quadratec QRC bumper

Sponsored

DickensCPA

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
CPA
Yeah that's what I was thinking of doing. I just didn't know if it for the quadratec QRC bumper
I'm not real sure on fitment between brands and bumpers just that the Badlands fits the RC stubby.

exfil offroad

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator-Willys /18 Wrangler JLU-Rubicon
Hi everyone. So I recently bought a Sport S about 3 weeks ago with 20k miles on it. Already has Mopar 2" lift and 35" tires. I've already ordered gears and they are being installed later this month as the stock 3.73s are just driving me crazy on the highway. I live in NC and plan to take it to Uwharrie (I think that's how you spell it) and going to TN later in February after the gears are broken in.

What I was wondering is do I need to invest in rock rails or a winch before taking it anywhere? I don't plan on going anywhere really hardcore just yet as the last time I went off roading was about 10 years ago with an old Dodge Ram 1500. I just didn't want to destroy the side of my new Jeep with the plastic running boards that came on it and I don't know anyone around to go with so getting stuck and not having a winch or something to get unstuck would be very bad.

Thanks in advance!
you need nothing but your 4 wheels and a tank of gas, go get it!

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Agree with above. Starting out and most of the time now I do tons of research on each specific trail and take notes on what I needed or wished I had. You could easily hit many trails in Moab as is. Know when to turn around and walk technical sections best advise I can giveā€¦often repeat to myself, donā€™t always follow.

Varies greatly based on your preference of terrain, experience level, vehicle mods, distance from civilization, and solo or not. If solo let people know where your going and when you should be back in contact.

My stage overly cautious suggestions excluding vehicle mods:

Stage 1
- Straps (1 long, 1 short, 1 tree saver)
- Connection point front & rear designed for recovery
- Trail maps & research
- Radio GMRS
- Tools/Hardware (I like to have in case someone comes along who knows how to use them.)
- Gloves/EX Clothing/Water/EX Boots
- Flashlights
- Tire Patch Kit
- First Aid
- Jump Battery (or cables)
- Knife/Multitool
- Good spare
- Zip Ties/Duct Tape
- Vehicle Fluids

Stage 2
- Recovery Boards
- Soft Shackles
- Shovel (Beaver)
- Air Compressor
- Extra Fuel
- Fire Extinguisher
- Paper maps when possible
- Weather Gear (Had some surprise storms)

Stage 3
- Winch
- Kinetic Rope
- Snatch Block
- Off Road Jack
- Typical Survival Gear (Water filtration/compass/fire/etc.)
- AX/Hatchet
- Personal Protection
- Hike out pack
- Road Hazard Gear (Mostly for night)

Stage 4
- Sat Phone/Text capable GPS
- Land Anchor
- Winch extension line
- Chainsaw
- Chains
Great list but I'd move the shovel and fire extinguisher to the base kit. If you need to poop in the woods, or build a fire you should be using / carrying a shovel. I'm partial to the gerber e-tool model that includes the pick. It fits under the rear seat folded and has proven very durable in my experience. Just as with the fire extinguisher, having the shovel on hand in the case fire gets loose is part of being a good steward of our public lands.

In addition to the GMRS, if you have a technician's license or above a dual band amateur radio is invaluable. With APRS you can easily hit a repeater 50 miles away on high ground and message to cellular text if needed. If you get a message for help out that way it is nearly guaranteed that any number of folks watching the network will alert resources in your area.

KQL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for gladiator