What is this in front of the shifter?

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
So I got my truck back from getting an alignment today, after I installed my lift this past weekend. I noticed this plastic cover you could pop off in front of the shifter was popped open a little bit and I have never noticed it before. When you pop it off there is a orange lanyard in it and some lever in it. Just curious if anyone knows what it’s for. I’m not saying it was the people at the alignment shop but curious as to what it is.

BB78199A-AB0F-4696-85F8-F6121F805438.jpeg

4106F1B2-93A7-45D0-8C15-B68F4DDF86B6.jpeg
Sponsored

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
That is the transmission release for automatics. It's used in case you are stuck in gear and need it in a neutral gear. I believe it's used for towing or flat towing.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That is the transmission release for automatics. It's used in case you are stuck in gear and need it in a neutral gear. I believe it's used for towing or flat towing.
No, not for towing. Don't use it for that.

For towing -> t-case in neutral, transmission in park.

Jeep Gladiator What is this in front of the shifter? 1651707564367

When the engine isn't running you can't get it out of park.......

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
In a normal situation, as @ShadowsPapa says, you don't need this for towing. Just put the t-case in neutral. So, this isn't meant to be an everyday solution to towing.

But there are other threads about using this to release the... something... when something happens. I'll search. You do too.

Sponsored

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
It is the emergeeency park release for the transmission. If the engine is not running, the transmission shifter will not release the park mechanism. The alignment shop may have used it to release from park so that they could roll it in order to compensate the heads of the alignment machine (the heads attach to the wheels).

OP
OP
Jglad15

Jglad15

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
It is the emergeeency park release for the transmission. If the engine is not running, the transmission shifter will not release the park mechanism. The alignment shop may have used it to release from park so that they could roll it in order to compensate the heads of the alignment machine (the heads attach to the wheels).
Thanks!

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
No, not for towing. Don't use it for that.

For towing -> t-case in neutral, transmission in park.

Jeep Gladiator What is this in front of the shifter? 1651707564367

When the engine isn't running you can't get it out of park.......
Wonder if you know why flat towing with the transmission in neutral is bad. The odds of me ever flat towing mine are basically zero, but now I'm just plain damn curious.

aceisback

Banned
Banned
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
DoD (forced to resign courtesy of FJB), Retired Marine
Damn! Can’t believe ShadowsPaPa missed an opportunity to school somebody on what the hell the owners manual is for.🤣
Or anyone else for that matter. Usually the crowd is a little tougher and with questions like this will club you like a baby seal.
Anyhow, you’ve got a quick answer and more will be incoming. And debate of course.

Sponsored

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
The emergency park release will release the transmission from park, but it is not the best way to do it. It is, if this makes sense, just barely released from Park. I work in a Jeep dealership and have used it for it's intended purpose, but I could feel the park pawl just barely dragging. If you need to flat tow your Gladiator, use the Neutral position in the transfer case, it is the safest way and least likely to cause damage.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
Towing an auto in Park would leave the steering wheel locked. Towing with the with the lever ing neutral for both the tc and transmission is what I would think to do. I don't tow much but the TJ tows better if the steering wheel is unlocked.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
The emergency park release will release the transmission from park, but it is not the best way to do it. It is, if this makes sense, just barely released from Park. I work in a Jeep dealership and have used it for it's intended purpose, but I could feel the park pawl just barely dragging. If you need to flat tow your Gladiator, use the Neutral position in the transfer case, it is the safest way and least likely to cause damage.
Do you put the autos in neutral and disconnect the battery?

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Towing an auto in Park would leave the steering wheel locked. Towing with the with the lever ing neutral for both the tc and transmission is what I would think to do. I don't tow much but the TJ tows better if the steering wheel is unlocked.
Gladiators don't have steering wheel lock.
Sponsored