OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Yeah, I hate those things. I have replace a few with clip nuts. I actually kind of like my Sport S bumper styling and have been holding on to it until I absolutely need a winch for trail riding. Had to do some clearancing for 35s but I think it turned out well and is light
1009202225.jpg
thanks for the idea of mentioning clip nuts. I have been wondering what I’m gonna put back in place of these. I was thinking some big push clips but a clip nut is another idea.
Sponsored

MojaveBart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, Ducati Panigale 1199s, Harley-Davidson 114 Fatboy, Harley-Davidson FLSS, Aprilia Tuono Factory, Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports
More like the Engineer designs a better/stronger fastener, then upper management and finance see the cost and decide it's too expensive either to produce or install and decide on cheaper materials to save money....

I always find it interesting when non-degreed people think people with degrees are idiots for a poor design without considering many times they are overridden by management due to cost... as we used to say; "Don't hate the player, hate the game"...

Then they argue with the tech that tells them it's a bad design, or doesn't work. But in THEORY it SHOULD.

OP
OP
93civej1

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
More like the Engineer designs a better/stronger fastener, then upper management and finance see the cost and decide it's too expensive either to produce or install and decide on cheaper materials to save money....

I always find it interesting when non-degreed people think people with degrees are idiots for a poor design without considering many times they are overridden by management due to cost... as we used to say; "Don't hate the player, hate the game"...
degree or not, anyone could see this combo is not a good fit when the small bolts bind up in the nut thing they use, and then just end up ripping out all together.
The binding feeling on them happened the first time i loosened them to do the trimming on the air dam. I had never touched them and they were fresh from the factory. Luckily at that time, all of them finally came out without ripping out. This next time, a totally different story.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Took mine off at 12K miles with no issue, but I would not mind putting them back on and "cleanceing" for my 35's. May not look like a rock buggy but if it prserves the back side of fog light wiring, cuts down on dirt and gives me an extra mile or two per tank, why not. Maybe.

From a FAB point of view I am now curius what kind of aux light I could fit on/in those air damns? Rectangle, not round.

Sponsored

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow

Never said they were idiots, just speaking from personal experience during gov't contractor days. But u are right about management dropping the hammer on cost. I do find it interesting u think I or the techs (assumption based on how written) may not be degreed...

mud flap

First Name
ryne sweeney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Ecommerce
It most likely was a cost/reward decision. They thought the piece would last past warranty or wouldn't come apart on enough vehicles to justify the cost savings.

The engineers probably offer different options based on cost and the people signing off just looked at the costs first and went with that. Past through revisions when other costs were weighed and went into production that way.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
You're dead right abouth that! Imagine how smart those artists would think they were if they also had a "college" education.
I assume the engineer with the college education designed it right, but the bean counters made them switch...

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
I assume the engineer with the college education designed it right, but the bean counters made them switch...
When I first started in engineering, one of the senior engineers introduced me to an all too true saying ...

Faster, better, cheaper ... pick two

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
These are the same engineers that said "I know, lets impose a start/stop device to the engine"

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
These are the same engineers that said "I know, lets impose a start/stop device to the engine"
No, they're just responsible for the design recommended for implementation. The government imposed it upon the manufacturers. It's one of the things we have to deal with to be able to drive our Jeeps.

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
No, they're just responsible for the design recommended for implementation. The government imposed it upon the manufacturers. It's one of the things we have to deal with to be able to drive our Jeeps.
Damn those bastards!
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
Then they argue with the tech that tells them it's a bad design, or doesn't work. But in THEORY it SHOULD.
My dad used to say that you could put one foot in the campfire and the other in the cooler and IN THEORY you are comfortable.
Sponsored