Sponsored

What the heck is this? Is this real? Aluminum Rubicon 3 piece bumper...

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Be forewarned, this appears to be manufactured in China. There may be no installation instructions, there may be misalignment of mounting holes, there may be missing hardware.

Also, everyone knows that a JL front bumper will fit a JT, but nowhere is there any mention of this fitting a JT.
I'll tell you what, even made in 'murrica still has misaligned mounting holes, and it has more to do with Jeep than the bumper manufacturer.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at the pics for this aluminum bumper and was shocked as heck - the winch plate and brackets, the bags of hardware - do I wish I had taken photos of my eBay bumper when I unboxed it - those parts look identical to the parts that came with my bumper except the bumper itself. The winch plate and brackets look just like mine. Even the bags of hardware - same number of bags, same looking hardware and the adapters for the fog lights - just like mine.
I would almost be willing to bet it's the SAME COMPANY that makes the steel bumper sold on eBay!

Jeep Gladiator What the heck is this?  Is this real?  Aluminum Rubicon 3 piece bumper... winch-plate

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Really? I had NO issues with mine. Perfect, direct fit. Holes aligned, nothing missing and who the heck needs instructions to install a simple bumper? Take off the old, bolt on the new, put the wings on it, done.
I got mine installed. It slipped right into place. It had everything needed to install it.

Check the source on some MOPAR branded parts.......
I know the MOPAR steel bumper is made in China, I have repeatedly said MOPAR goes out one door, the knockoff out another after it fails QC final check.

In several threads on this Board and on the JL Board it is discussed that holes are misaligned, hardware missing or wrong size, having to trim here and there to get it to fit.

Reason for instructions, there are parts in the aluminum bumper that are NOT on the JT OEM bumpers. Go look through the pictures and you'll see them.

Also, there is no crush can on the aluminum bumper. Yes I know, aftermarket bumpers don't have them either, but this is a replica of the modular Jeep bumper.

You have to remember, there are a LOT of non-mechanical people out there. Proof is in several of these threads. Having to modify a part to fit is going to flummox these type of people. Then they come on here and complain about it.

I just try to warn people of what they might be getting into.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I know the MOPAR steel bumper is made in China, I have repeatedly said MOPAR goes out one door, the knockoff out another after it fails QC final check.

In several threads on this Board and on the JL Board it is discussed that holes are misaligned, hardware missing or wrong size, having to trim here and there to get it to fit.

Reason for instructions, there are parts in the aluminum bumper that are NOT on the JT OEM bumpers. Go look through the pictures and you'll see them.

Also, there is no crush can on the aluminum bumper. Yes I know, aftermarket bumpers don't have them either, but this is a replica of the modular Jeep bumper.

You have to remember, there are a LOT of non-mechanical people out there. Proof is in several of these threads. Having to modify a part to fit is going to flummox these type of people. Then they come on here and complain about it.

I just try to warn people of what they might be getting into.
I get your "warning".........
I looked at every pic they showed of that aluminum bumper. Everything they show is also in the eBay steel bumper - and then some. They show one single part that is not included in the steel bumper and that's the skid plate. Otherwise, the eBay steel bumper has a lot more parts than any of the pics show for that aluminum bumper. The reason is that the wings on the steel bumper come off, they do NOT come off (can't make the alum bumper a "stubby") the aluminum bumper.
So frankly, the steel bumper I bought has a lot more parts.
I bought my skid plate and brackets from MOPAR online.

My bet on "misaligned holes" is that it's the VEHICLE, not the bumper. I'd bet on it. My stock bumper didn't just slide off and the frame horns were not perfectly vertical to the ground. If I had put a level to it, it would have shown the holes in my truck were off more than the bumper.
Think about it- jig up frame rails, weld them compared to a press stamping bumper after bumper, all on the same press. The odds are better than the frame horns aren't exact from Jeep to Jeep. When I put the front receiver on my truck, some spots needed washers as spacers, some did not. Hmmm, should they not ALL need the washers if the frame was perfect? And why package washers? Make the receiver a perfect fit. Oh, can't because the frames will vary from truck to truck. If there was no variation on frames or other parts, every truck would have the same exact camber - caster should be nearly identical, too.
Anyway, my point is - we blame the bumper, when it's just as likely to be the truck that's different.

I know we live in a world where kindergartners get diplomas and graduate, one car show I've gone to in the past gives EVERYONE a trophy no matter how far down you were, and it's an "everyone can do it" inclusive world - but frankly...... should some people be doing some things to vehicles?

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
I get your "warning".........
I looked at every pic they showed of that aluminum bumper. Everything they show is also in the eBay steel bumper - and then some. They show one single part that is not included in the steel bumper and that's the skid plate. Otherwise, the eBay steel bumper has a lot more parts than any of the pics show for that aluminum bumper. The reason is that the wings on the steel bumper come off, they do NOT come off (can't make the alum bumper a "stubby") the aluminum bumper.
So frankly, the steel bumper I bought has a lot more parts.
I bought my skid plate and brackets from MOPAR online.

My bet on "misaligned holes" is that it's the VEHICLE, not the bumper. I'd bet on it. My stock bumper didn't just slide off and the frame horns were not perfectly vertical to the ground. If I had put a level to it, it would have shown the holes in my truck were off more than the bumper.
Think about it- jig up frame rails, weld them compared to a press stamping bumper after bumper, all on the same press. The odds are better than the frame horns aren't exact from Jeep to Jeep. When I put the front receiver on my truck, some spots needed washers as spacers, some did not. Hmmm, should they not ALL need the washers if the frame was perfect? And why package washers? Make the receiver a perfect fit. Oh, can't because the frames will vary from truck to truck. If there was no variation on frames or other parts, every truck would have the same exact camber - caster should be nearly identical, too.
Anyway, my point is - we blame the bumper, when it's just as likely to be the truck that's different.

I know we live in a world where kindergartners get diplomas and graduate, one car show I've gone to in the past gives EVERYONE a trophy no matter how far down you were, and it's an "everyone can do it" inclusive world - but frankly...... should some people be doing some things to vehicles?
The listings for the aluminum bumper *say* the wings don't come off, but when I was doing some searching a couple weeks ago I found a pic someone put up with the wings removed, just like the standard steel bumper. Sadly I can't remember where that was though.

Sponsored

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I’ve got the same bumper as ShadowsPapa. I’ve got zero issues with the fit. The powder coat isn’t great and the winch plate is thin, but fit is perfect.

Benbean66

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Honda CB350, '88 RHD YJ, '88 YJ, 2020 JT Spor
Occupation
Railroad Equipment Operator
Vehicle Showcase
Following... Anxious to see real world reviews.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The listings for the aluminum bumper *say* the wings don't come off, but when I was doing some searching a couple weeks ago I found a pic someone put up with the wings removed, just like the standard steel bumper. Sadly I can't remember where that was though.
I sort of wonder who is answering the questions, especially after your comment here because it was asked more than once on that page - no, they are not removable. And yet - unless those bolt heads are part of the forging. Of course at least 6 people asked, one right after the other "how much does it weigh" as if expecting a different number from the previous ones who asked.
I would expect the making of this if it's truly forged would be easier if they DID come off.
I have a feeling the responses on that page are not 100% correct or factual - it makes sense that they would.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got the same bumper as ShadowsPapa. I’ve got zero issues with the fit. The powder coat isn’t great and the winch plate is thin, but fit is perfect.
So far mine has survived a VERY SALTY, snowy, icy, Iowa winter and several pressure washings. I agree - it's not 60K truck quality finish, but hey, for the price, I can take it off, and have it powder coated in a place just minutes from me - they do entire car frames, cross members, etc. They could toss it in the booth with some other big part. I'd still be hundreds ahead. But so far - no rust, the finish is staying put.

TxSmitty

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
😂 no instructions and bolt holes may not align...
ok here are your instructions if it doesn’t come with any (or if it does).
1. Remove old bumper
2. Throw away instructions if it has any
3. Install new bumper
4. If holes don’t align, use dewalt 20v hole expander (sold separately)

I had a guy drive an hour to buy my DV8 rear bumper I took off my gladiator. I told him I would help him put it on because he said he needed help. He was over an hour late and almost to my house and I told him I didn’t have time to help install it now because it’s after 9, I had to get my kids ready for school and in bed and travel for a funeral the next morning. The guy seriously said he wouldn’t buy it if I didn’t install it on his f-ing truck! I said are you kidding? It is 4 bolts! He drove an hour home because I wouldn’t install it. 😂

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dewyaw

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
The wings better be removable! I guess we’ll find out.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Long Winded but bottom line, it fits the Mojave. So it should fit other Non-Rubicon trims.

Jeep Gladiator What the heck is this?  Is this real?  Aluminum Rubicon 3 piece bumper... C780E7BE-CB5A-4014-B332-F2702EA6962E

Jeep Gladiator What the heck is this?  Is this real?  Aluminum Rubicon 3 piece bumper... C780E7BE-CB5A-4014-B332-F2702EA6962E
That "review" could easily fit the steel bumper on eBay. I mean leave out the word aluminum and you've got it. I also found the screw size to be inadequate for my OCD-ness so I used some I had here. Never short on fasteners here. The steel bumper does not come with a skid plate but the stock MOPAR Rubicon steel bumper skid plate is an exact perfect fit for it.
Again, seeing the pictures, seeing the fog light adapters, the bags of hardware, the description, I'd bet same company makes this one that makes the steel one on eBay.

Almost makes me wish I had waited and saved 70 pounds or whatever off the extremely heavy steel bumper.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
That's the list of weight I used to get up to a total 50 lbs lighter than the steel bumper inclusive of the 22 lb winch plate. Between that and an Anderson WDH I would get 100 lbs of payload back when towing.
Sponsored