First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
For what their designed to do, the Rubicon is on top of it's game. Mojave is entry level. If I wanted a desert and dirt runner I would get a Raptor. Mojave is extremely under powered for what they advertise it for. Rubicon is a beast for what it's designed for. The front Electric front Locker, and 4:1 transfer case takes it to the next level.
I couldnt disagree more. It depends what you want out of the truck.

For me, the mojave is the superior spec to the rubicon in every possible way. The only thing the rubicon gives you is a front locker and a sway bar disconnect. The former is something that is so rarely needed its almost pointless to even have, and easily added any number of ways from the aftermarket. The latter is easily added via the aftermarket; albiet "manual" and not as convenient. IMO, any time i want the sway disconnected, I'd be aired down, and manually connecting sway links while airing back up is a non issue.

The additions to the mojave would cost thousands to add to the rubicon, and some of it you cant. The mojave's money is made on the reinforcements to the frame and other components and the interior. The shocks are amazing, and cost thousands in aftermarket to add to a rubicon.

If someone's end goal is to immediately lift the jeep with a big lift kit and stuff 40's under it and bash rocks, yeah, get the rubicon since the suspension on it is mediocre at best. If all you want is up to 2" on a spacer or spring/shock relocation kit and overland it, then the mojave beats the rubicon in every possible way. There's literally nothing "special" about a rubicon other than it's the name people want on the side of their hood. Its a normal sport with different fenders, lockers, super soft springs, and a sway disconnect.

Driving both back to back at the dealer and looking into what makes the mojave the mojave, the choice was easy for me. The suspension feel, the steering stability at speed, better seats, etc made it a no-brainer. The mojave is better for overlanders, the rubicon is better for bro-doser lifts and parking on snow banks at the mall. (and, if youre a big tire rock crawler type ;) ) The majority of jeeps on the road are grossly over-tired for what they actually end up used for. The mojave skips the pretense and gives you things you use every single time you drive the truck.

just my $.02.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I couldnt disagree more. It depends what you want out of the truck.

For me, the mojave is the superior spec to the rubicon in every possible way. The only thing the rubicon gives you is a front locker and a sway bar disconnect. The former is something that is so rarely needed its almost pointless to even have, and easily added any number of ways from the aftermarket. The latter is easily added via the aftermarket; albiet "manual" and not as convenient. IMO, any time i want the sway disconnected, I'd be aired down, and manually connecting sway links while airing back up is a non issue.

The additions to the mojave would cost thousands to add to the rubicon, and some of it you cant. The mojave's money is made on the reinforcements to the frame and other components and the interior. The shocks are amazing, and cost thousands in aftermarket to add to a rubicon.

If someone's end goal is to immediately lift the jeep with a big lift kit and stuff 40's under it and bash rocks, yeah, get the rubicon since the suspension on it is mediocre at best. If all you want is up to 2" on a spacer or spring/shock relocation kit and overland it, then the mojave beats the rubicon in every possible way. There's literally nothing "special" about a rubicon other than it's the name people want on the side of their hood. Its a normal sport with different fenders, lockers, super soft springs, and a sway disconnect.

Driving both back to back at the dealer and looking into what makes the mojave the mojave, the choice was easy for me. The suspension feel, the steering stability at speed, better seats, etc made it a no-brainer. The mojave is better for overlanders, the rubicon is better for bro-doser lifts and parking on snow banks at the mall. (and, if youre a big tire rock crawler type ;) ) The majority of jeeps on the road are grossly over-tired for what they actually end up used for. The mojave skips the pretense and gives you things you use every single time you drive the truck.

just my $.02.
i think you forgot transfer case or transfer case gearing is different too, but......

I enjoyed your take on this. i have a sport-s and went offroading once, it was tons of fun, I'm just not at a place in my life that I can do that more. I'm going to have this sport-s for 3 years before I might have a mojave or rubicon, or maybe i stick with sport s.

Either way, I have had none of the fancy things from the rubicon or mojave and have been loving the Gladiator nonetheless.........Perhaps I need to look more into the mojave as i get closer to lease end.

Are you saying the mojave with beefed up frame and the different shocks/springs just rides nicer than the rubicon on normal roads/highway speeds?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
i think you forgot transfer case or transfer case gearing is different too, but......

I enjoyed your take on this. i have a sport-s and went offroading once, it was tons of fun, I'm just not at a place in my life that I can do that more. I'm going to have this sport-s for 3 years before I might have a mojave or rubicon, or maybe i stick with sport s.

Either way, I have had none of the fancy things from the rubicon or mojave and have been loving the Gladiator nonetheless.........Perhaps I need to look more into the mojave as i get closer to lease end.

Are you saying the mojave with beefed up frame and the different shocks/springs just rides nicer than the rubicon on normal roads/highway speeds?
Yeah the T case gearing is different, but again, its focused on rock crawling with big tires. I actually didnt WANT a low range that low. (and i recognize some do) Its also changeable if you need it lower for some reason.

Yeah, the Mojave drives *way* better on the highway than the rubicon does. It is orders of magnitude more stable in cornering I find. I think it steers/rides/'handles' better than the Rubicon. Driving them back to back is a noticeable difference and sold me on the mojave right away.

GladiSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 08 S2000 CR, 08 S2000, 22 392 XR Order
Build Thread
Link
The Gladiator is not the optimal choice for Rock-crawling. I could have purchased plenty of Rubicon Gladiators for much cheaper than the Mojave, and I opted not to.

If I was keen on rock-crawling...REAL rock-crawling, then i would have a JL 4-door. The Gladiator platform is too damn long to get away with much on actual trails without major $$$ mods. Ran a 2-door JK with take-off suspension for years and was able to go a crazy amount of places that the Gladiator is just not suited for.

Mojave is the best "Overall" choice for the platform. I figured this out after driving them all.

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Yeah the T case gearing is different, but again, its focused on rock crawling with big tires. I actually didnt WANT a low range that low. (and i recognize some do) Its also changeable if you need it lower for some reason.

Yeah, the Mojave drives *way* better on the highway than the rubicon does. It is orders of magnitude more stable in cornering I find. I think it steers/rides/'handles' better than the Rubicon. Driving them back to back is a noticeable difference and sold me on the mojave right away.
I wonder if any of that you experienced was an aluminum "older" steering box on the rubicon vs possibly a steel one on the mojave. That's just a wonder, no idea if its even a possibility, but......

i like hearing your observation, because I know i'm going to be driving my JT 99.361% of the time on a road. And my sport handled a weekend of light offroading just fine, so i'm assuming the mojave would handle it equally as good or better. I probably wont ever see real rock crawling, nor sand dune pre-running (is that what its called?). :angel:

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
okay went and read 3-4 articles, looks like i'm leaning towards mojave in 2 years as well. some additional plusses (cosmetic, but still), no red dash, orange accents look better, nicer seats, all black wheels, nicer stance.

misses: wish the rear also got the 1" height increase (does the nose stick up slightly on the mojave?), the front skid plate should be black (easily painted). Bummer the towing capacity is 1000lbs less, but I was probably never going to tow 7000lbs anyway.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I wonder if any of that you experienced was an aluminum "older" steering box on the rubicon vs possibly a steel one on the mojave. That's just a wonder, no idea if its even a possibility, but......

i like hearing your observation, because I know i'm going to be driving my JT 99.361% of the time on a road. And my sport handled a weekend of light offroading just fine, so i'm assuming the mojave would handle it equally as good or better. I probably wont ever see real rock crawling, nor sand dune pre-running (is that what its called?). :angel:
its possible. I didnt inspect the steering boxes. Both were late year production. The rubicon didnt steer as well and had a lot more body roll dive and mush. I personally didnt like it on the road compared to overland and mojave.

the mojave front springs are stiffer leading to one inch lift and front sway bar a little lighter. As best i can find so far, the rear mojave springs are slightly softer and rear sway stiffer. This leads to the 1k less towing. Im deciding how to lift mine and go 35’s, not sure if ill do springs or spacers with shock extensions. Maybe rubi or overland rear springs with spacer for slightly more load capacity.

the mojave sits more or less level. I havent measured to the mm, but if it is slightly “nose high” its imperceptible to me. It looks like a leveled rubicon.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
If you read all the test drive reports on here from those that did back-to-back drives of Rubicon and Mojave, the Mojave is generally the winner. Rubi had body roll issues, which is a deal-killer for me from the jump: I want a solid truck... not my dad's Buick Redezvous.

I have wheeled all over the lower 48-- in snow, mud and sand--and never once needed front lockers or a disco sway bar. Or a winch, for that matter. Mojave will carry my overland enthusiast ass all over the lower 48, once again.

Yippee ki-yay, melon farmers....git out there and drive 'em!!

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
If you read all the test drive reports on here from those that did back-to-back drives of Rubicon and Mojave, the Mojave is generally the winner. Rubi had body roll issues, which is a deal-killer for me from the jump: I want a solid truck... not my dad's Buick Redezvous.

I have wheeled all over the lower 48-- in snow, mud and sand--and never once needed front lockers or a disco sway bar. Or a winch, for that matter. Mojave will carry my overland enthusiast ass all over the lower 48, once again.

Yippee ki-yay, melon farmers....git out there and drive 'em!!
that was my version. Ive overlanded north america, eastern europe, and africa. Ive never once needed a front locker or a seay disconnect. the better and better i got at driving the less and less i needed a rear locker too. You know what i have needed, and a lot? Emergency lane changes. Emergency braking. Stability over shitty road surfaces. Ability to carry some weight and maintain drivability.

imo if people spent money on training before they spent it on lifts and tires, theyd have more fun i think.

i get why the rubicon is popular. Its got cool stuff in it, its got a cool name on the hood, and tom dick harry sally and jennifer all got rubicons too. Its almost comical how often in my first 1100miles ive got the “why didnt you just get a rubicon?” Again, some people intentionally find those trails that require 40’s and flex, or jeeps so big theyre trailered. The rubicon is great for that crowd and great over all. But imo the rubicon is a better package for the wrangler and the mojave superior package for the gladiator by such a margin i dont understand why anyone would buy a gladiator rubicon If a mojave is available. But thats just me.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
that was my version. Ive overlanded north america, eastern europe, and africa. Ive never once needed a front locker or a seay disconnect. the better and better i got at driving the less and less i needed a rear locker too. You know what i have needed, and a lot? Emergency lane changes. Emergency braking. Stability over shitty road surfaces. Ability to carry some weight and maintain drivability.

imo if people spent money on training before they spent it on lifts and tires, theyd have more fun i think.

i get why the rubicon is popular. Its got cool stuff in it, its got a cool name on the hood, and tom dick harry sally and jennifer all got rubicons too. Its almost comical how often in my first 1100miles ive got the “why didnt you just get a rubicon?” Again, some people intentionally find those trails that require 40’s and flex, or jeeps so big theyre trailered. The rubicon is great for that crowd and great over all. But imo the rubicon is a better package for the wrangler and the mojave superior package for the gladiator by such a margin i dont understand why anyone would buy a gladiator rubicon If a mojave is available. But thats just me.
I don't think I could agree any more... this is probably the most cogent, well-articulated thought ive read all month.

Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
All Wrangler/Gladiators can work well if used for what they were made for or modified to fit their use. If you are never driving on trails, sand, rocks or mud and are using your Gladiator for highway and trips to Costco then you don't need anything more than a sport and even that is overkill. Even more overkill if you add a lift, big tires and any other off road features but to each their own as its your Jeep and build it how you want. If your a weekend crawler and drive on rocks like we have in the mid atlantic and northeast and want your Gladiator to be as capable (or almost as capable in some cases) as your buddies running trails with you in 2 door lifted wranglers on 35s then a Rubicon with a lift and bigger tires is an extremely helpful starting point. And BTW the Gladiator can go most places if built properly even if it is really long. If your typical weekend terrain is sand and you plan to hit dunes at high speeds then the Mojave may be your best starting point. And if you just have the money to buy what you like the looks of and you never drive the Jeep on anything other than hard surface roads get what you like and ignore the haters. I will say that if you plan to add a lift and bigger tires, no matter your use, the Mojave is probably a bad starting point since you have invested in high dollar shocks that will not transition well to a lift and will be wasted.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
All Wrangler/Gladiators can work well if used for what they were made for or modified to fit their use. If you are never driving on trails, sand, rocks or mud and are using your Gladiator for highway and trips to Costco then you don't need anything more than a sport and even that is overkill. Even more overkill if you add a lift, big tires and any other off road features but to each their own as its your Jeep and build it how you want. If your a weekend crawler and drive on rocks like we have in the mid atlantic and northeast and want your Gladiator to be as capable (or almost as capable in some cases) as your buddies running trails with you in 2 door lifted wranglers on 35s then a Rubicon with a lift and bigger tires is an extremely helpful starting point. And BTW the Gladiator can go most places if built properly even if it is really long. If your typical weekend terrain is sand and you plan to hit dunes at high speeds then the Mojave may be your best starting point. And if you just have the money to buy what you like the looks of and you never drive the Jeep on anything other than hard surface roads get what you like and ignore the haters. I will say that if you plan to add a lift and bigger tires, no matter your use, the Mojave is probably a bad starting point since you have invested in high dollar shocks that will not transition well to a lift and will be wasted.
why wont the mojave shocks “transition well“ to a lift?

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
why wont the mojave shocks “transition well“ to a lift?
They are specifically designed and valved to be at the ride height from factory. If you lift you will need extensions to retain the stock shocks causing them to be out of range for their design. They may work but wont be providing the enhanced valving and design that you paid for.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
They are specifically designed and valved to be at the ride height from factory. If you lift you will need extensions to retain the stock shocks causing them to be out of range for their design. They may work but wont be providing the enhanced valving and design that you paid for.
how did you determine that?

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
If the spring goes up 2” and the shock goes up 2” and the geometry is corrected, then there is no issue. Shocks arent “valved” for a ride height. They are valved to a spring weight and a stroke length. If you lift the springs without lifting the shock, then yes, youre out of spec.

ive also read more than once that “if you lift it and put a bumper youre out of the bypass zone”. This is also completely un proven. What is the bypass stroke zone of the shocks? Has anyone put one on a shock dyno to determine when the bypass zone is cleared? The answer is no.

the reality is i think a lot of people are looking for reasons to conjure imagined limitations to the mojave suspension that just arent there. My favorite is that because they were “designed for sand dunes” somehow means they wont cope with “forrest trails”. Its hilarious.

The reality is the shocks are the Mojave are really well engineered units and i think its going to perform really well with proper spacing lifts and geometry correction. Ill agree that if your plan is a big lift and big tires, then the mojave may or may not be the best spec depending on how you weight the other features.
Sponsored