Sponsored

What was your favorite Jeep (other than the JT)?

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
My favorite would be my 74 CJ 5 V8 3 speed, loved it drove it everywhere, of course in the late 70s I was younger and bounced back better than I do in my late 60s. Drove it to Key West with only a bikini top. Wife got so sun burned had to stay off work for a week. A great trip.

silverandscout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
I've had lots of Jeeps over the decades, but my favorite Jeep is a Scrambler, which I have never owned. I had a CJ-2A, several YJs, several TJs, a Liberty, and a Grand Cherokee, but the elusive and not-quite-practical CJ-8 just never made it into my stalls. But I always said if they ever make a modern version, I will buy one. Though open for much debate, the current Gladiator is close enough, so here I am.

Favorite Jeep I've actually owned? 1997 Sahara 5spd

Jeep Gladiator What was your favorite Jeep (other than the JT)? IMG_0430sm

dfwxjer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr JKRX, Navigator L, 63 Impala SS, Lexus CT200h
This is my 4th Jeep
1996 XJ Country
2004 WJ Laredo 4.7l V8
2008 JKU Rubicon 6 speed
2020 JT Overland

Before the Gladiator, my ā€˜04 WJ was my favorite. I loved that Jeep. It was quick and comfortable and drove well. It got really good mpg too and it was super reliable. Best mpg of Jeep Iā€™ve owned. The hwy mpg was a lot better than my Gladiator. The only one I hated was my 96 XJ. Most over rated vehicle ever. So uncomfortable, super cramped and rough ride with the up country suspension. I had it since basically new. It had so many problems, including the ā€œbulletproofā€ 4.0l having catastrophic failure and being replaced under warranty. The second one lasted a while but it had the typical leaks and piston slap. My JKU was the best/worst Jeep. Other than it being dog slow, I did like it, but it was a lemon buy back, but I made $3900 on it over what I had originally paid for it after 19k miles.

Iā€™m going to get hate over my XJ comment. I know that my 1995 Moss Green Country XJ with the Up Country suspension is like the holy grail for XJ dweebs. I just hated it. I drove it for 8 long years and countless issues and repairs.
I had a 98 XJ 5 speed with the Up Country suspension and totally agree. Rode pretty rough, the factory tow hooks while better than nothing were pretty worthless, the 8.25" rear developed an awful gear whine, and it ate clutch slave cylinders left and right.

My 1990 and 1991 XJ Laredos had numerous issues too due to that gd 4.0 that everyone seems to remember through rose colored glasses. People seem to forget that this tractor engine was shoe horned in to the XJ which lead to cooling problems, cracked headers, and a host of other issues, not to mention it's natural state of leaking from the rear main seal. All while not making nearly as much power as people seem to think it did. 190hp/235ft lbs of torque seemed kinda peppy in the lightweight 90s Jeeps but overall it was an antiquated dog.

All that said, I had so many good times in those Jeeps.

My '83 CJ7 was cool too... when it wasn't acting up. Whomever concocted the model 20 rear should be forced out of the auto industry for life.
Sorry to bump an old post but I have to agree here.

I have to say the 1991 Laredo was my favorite until i found out the air intake was under the headlight... right as I hydrolocked the engine in a water crossing.

Sponsored

Scootjeep

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT Professional
I rebuilt a 73 cj5 with my dad. Took a year and Iā€™m not even gonna say how much. I sold it mainly out of frustration and being 19 and stupid. I wish I still had that one

gecko_rubi

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜81 CJ-5, ā€˜05 LJ, ā€˜21 JTRD
Occupation
Architect
Iā€™ve always wanted a scrambler ā€¦ a buddy in high school had one that was mint. I need more garage space ā€¦

My dadā€™s CJ-5 will hold a special place in my heart. I remember being a little guy and my dad throwing his arm across my chest to hold me in the seat as he went around a corner because it only had lap belts and he drove it without doors. Heā€™s had it just shy of 40 years.

A month after graduation from college I bought my LJ (closest to a scrambler) ā€¦ my (now) wife and I went on our first date in it the day I got it lifted and now our daughter loves driving in the Jeep. Now 13 years after I bought her, the LJ sits in the garage with the top and doors off full time just ready for a drive in the SoCal weather. I tell my wife to bury me in this thing ā€¦ unless my daughter snatches it up first. The LJ is my favorite - it puts a smile on my face every time Iā€™m in it. Iā€™m hoping the JTRD does the same.

Jeep Gladiator What was your favorite Jeep (other than the JT)? 539FAE31-13A2-47DA-92EF-A76603B2C8A5

gecko_rubi

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜81 CJ-5, ā€˜05 LJ, ā€˜21 JTRD
Occupation
Architect
EASY!!!

1992 Jeep Comanche
Jeep Gladiator What was your favorite Jeep (other than the JT)? 539FAE31-13A2-47DA-92EF-A76603B2C8A5
Nice! Iā€™d like to see the JT in that color! There was a 90ā€™s copper color that was similar that I think would look good too

bcurtman

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 1988 Jeep Wrangler with 4BT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Insurance Agent
Still have my 2 favorites, which , with the new Gladiator comes to 79 total (removeable top jeeps-not including numerous cherokees and Grands and M715 military rigs)

My 66 CJ6 that my son and I frame off restored / modified in 2014

My 88 YJ Cummins diesel that I completed earlier this year.

66 cj6 152.JPG

20210624_183909.jpg

Sponsored

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
My favorite was my '96 GC Laredo, I-6 and Selec-trac. 2" lift and wheeled the crapola out of it even as my daily driver. I had modified the engine thusly: FMS 22lb/hr fuel injectors, K&N drop-in with mods to the airbox to increase intake, performance cat and exhaust. She'd spank most small block V-8s and incredible fuel economy. When I first got her (with 50K on the clock) I would get 16 mpg running around and about 20 on the highway. After mods, I would get a routine 19 mpg running around and saw as high as 25.5 mpg highway (this was a trip to FL with over 175K on the clock at that point) usual highway was 24 mpg. I did have to replace the distributor 3 times as the '96s were known to have issues there and did it myself. She was so easy to wrench on. I had her until 240K on the clock. Engine and trans was still strong and tight and, still never burned a drop of oil. But, the second AC compressor went and there were other electrical issues. Donated to charity for a $1,700 tax write off.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
It would be my '99 TJ - a 4 cylinder with a manual. A gutless wonder, but what a blast to drive. Started the addiction my kids and I have yet to get over.

RalphTuttle

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
'92 YJ. Yellow with a grey interior. Had it when I lived in Tucson, AZ.

Old Jeep.jpg

taintedsaint

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
retired military
It would have to be my old '70 Commando. Would kill to have it back. Buick 225 V6, 3 Spd , lots of room.

#HuckleberryJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flowcode.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 5.7 Hemi, '21 JLUR 392, '84 CJ7, '69 CJ5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Realtor
So many to love, but the Jeepster Commandos are my favorite. Just something about 'em.
Sponsored