Sponsored

What's the hardest Jeep mod/install you've ever done?

Medical_Bartender

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Willys, 2015 JK Willys, 2001 Ram 2500
Occupation
Active Duty
Installing the poison spyder hood louver on my JK takes the cake for me. It wasnā€™t exactly the hardest in terms of overall difficulty, but it was oh so hard to take drill bits, a hole saw, and cutting wheel to my nicely painted bright yellow hood. šŸ˜­

That said, it came out wonderful in the end and is one of my favorite mods to date even after 5 years of ownership. I have one for the gladiator sitting in the garage but havenā€™t worked up the courage to install yet.

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
to date, on my JT, my exhuast. It wasnt time consuming, but i had issues with my install. Clamps wouldnt hold tight enough and would come loose at the last portion and fall out while driving. i had to tac weld it. then it rattled on the spare tire cover. Weeks of light tapping to get the clearance out of the shield (i should have just removed it but im too F****** STUPID to think of that).

again, was it difficult? No. Annoying? Sure was.

My lift would be a close second. Trying to get the front track bar on whooped my ass. It was my first DIY lift over 2" and my level of confidence got humbled real quick. i SHOULD have done it at work but again (dealership) , im too F****** STUPID. lol

These two things should make most forum members laugh, and rightly so, bc they are easy to most Jeepers.

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Installing my winch was a real pain, mostly because the mounting plate that I used with my bumper wasnā€™t the best design. And there were no instructions.

The winch was pressed up tight against the grille because of the poor mounting hole placement. So it kept wanting to push the whole plate out of alignment while I was trying to get the bumper back on.

A combination of HD zip ties, a metal folding chair and the scissor jack finally held it in place long enough to painfully get the bumper back on. Ruined the folding chair, but I have too many of them anyway.

I hated it so much that ā€œDo I need to remove the bumper, winch or grille?ā€ is now a criterion for future mods. And yes, Iā€™ve abandoned at least one mod for this reason.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Mudflaps? But bear in my mind Iā€™m a god damned idiot.

Sponsored

PaJeeper

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiator sport s non max tow
Occupation
Steel worker
Probably installing the Rock Krawler X factor long arm on my old JK. Wasnā€™t overly difficult, just very time consuming. Lots of cutting grinding and Welding. Or maybe building a CJ from a bare frame bare tub and a couple piles of parts.

Labswine

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 GC Ltd
Occupation
Retired
I installed a Rusty's Offroad 3" lift on my '96 Grand Cherokee. Did it in the driveway. WHAT A PITA!!! Took me three days to do it...both front and rear, by myself!!!

Got it aligned, went to drive to work and the first minor bump, DEATH WOBBLE!!! Called Rusty's and got their alignment specs. Went back for realignment. First bump, DEATH WOBBLE!!! Took back to the alignment shop and they told me, "look right here, this is why this will never align properly..." There was evidence that the vehicle was in an accident prior to my ownership (this was before CarFax) and it wasn't repaired correctly. Yes, it could be dialed in correctly stock but, strain on the components from a lift was too much.

It took me ONE day to return back to stock height and get realigned. Never had death wobble ever again.

Sponsored

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Installing my winch was a real pain
I'll second this one. After installing Poison Spyder bumpers on my two JKUR's and just slapping winches on the top of them, I decided to go the "hidden" winch route on my Gladiator with the stock steel bumper. As if the clearances (and by that I mean the room needed to access bolts, etc.) weren't bad enough, I complicated it with these:
Jeep Gladiator What's the hardest Jeep mod/install you've ever done? 02a_FrontBumper

I hate that the stock steel bumper only has the hooks and not the shackle mounts, so I found a company in Canadia that made these. But then that meant I had to grind off the crush cans behind the bumper, cut holes in the plastic fascia for them to come through...AND...they are a lot of steel and heavy and use up that minimal clearance all that much more.

It turned out good but if I were to do it all over again, I would have replaced the stock steel bumper with one that is easier to install a winch onto.
Jeep Gladiator What's the hardest Jeep mod/install you've ever done? 02b_FrontBumper

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Swiping that credit car for my second lift and knowing I should have just went with that in the first place

SPED1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator sport 2005 tj wrangler
Occupation
service & parts supervisor
I'm in the middle of a frame /body swap / 4.0 and 6speed swap of my 1999 4 banger TJ making it into a 2005 long arm 4.0 6cylinder 6speed TJ.............. Or it is the heads up display wiring I can't figure out on my Gladiator.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S