Sponsored

When to do first service ??

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
We are still talking about changing the oil? My mind was elsewhere.
It's free advice, take it wherever you need to.

As to the OP's question, it is a ad nauseam subject that really has no wrong answer, just difference of opinion. Given all the other things that contribute to engine wear and failure, nobody can measure with cetainty that changing it early did it any better than waiting until first OEM recommended service. Either or is better than extended neglect.
Sponsored

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
The first oil change in regards to being too early or too late are both issues of concern. It has been an issue in the past with certain oil not being the best option for the break in period. It was recommended to change the oil after x miles and before x miles. Now it seems like the first oil change is on a schedule like any other oil change. I would be inclined to let it go until the 5k mark. 10k is too long to wait, not knowing what was left behind from manufacturing.

I have read stories and know of a guy that never changes his oil! The truth is, he trades up every year. He will put 10k- 15k miles every year. The only time he ever opens the hood is to give a jump-start or to show it to someone who asks to see it.

49Gramps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired Fire & EMS Dispatcher
I figured I'd let them give me the free three. These fancy oils are supposed to be good for more than the 10K, and I only did my first at 8K because I was going to Florida and wanted it done before hand.

And at almost 74, I'm not a fan of crawling under there, but I still do on occasion!

Raider2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Rubi
Build Thread
Link
Marking the tires as proof of a rotation is a good idea. Just be aware that while the spare tire is full sized, the spare wheel is a steel wheel (at least it is on my Rubi). So the dealer will almost certainly not do a 5 tire rotation.

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I usually do all my own work but being new and under warranty I would like to have a record on file for services. Also at 68 I am not really looking forward to crawling under vehicles in the driveway to any major extent.
Did you buy the wrong vehicle?

Sooner or later you're going to get under there. Sooner is smarter.
Personally, the first thing I would do with a brand new one would be to take it home and get underneath the thing.
I'd inspect everything visually and I would check every suspension and steering component for proper assembly and torques.
The dealer isn't going to do it, and if you have issues they're going be the pain in the butt that you already know all too well.

There are just too many stories here to not do that.
Loose Pitman arm nuts, loose control arm bolts, loose brake caliper bolts, loose swaybar link bolts (one of mine fell out at around 3,000 miles).

Oil change - 5,000 and collect a sample and send it here for analysis.
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
It's a little bit of money for a great deal of peace of mind.

You can document your service records online in your vehicle's dashboard.
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/dashboard/details.html

Sponsored

Curt Oz

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
Just wondering when you Guys are doing first service ? I am old school and there is no way I am waiting to 10,000 miles. I was thinking maybe 5000 but now at about 3000 miles I am thinking maybe sooner ? I figure I will mark wheels some how to make sure they rotate tires and for sure check oil level after they are done. Underneath also. It scares me to trust the dealers after working as a manager in them for 30 plus years. I’ve seen it all believe me . I usually do all my own work but being new and under warranty I would like to have a record on file for services. Also at 68 I am not really looking forward to crawling under vehicles in the driveway to any major extent.
I have it done every 12 months or 5000 miles max.
I really don't care what they recommend on synthetic motor oil.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'm an old school 3000 mile oil change guy. Rotate all 4 tires at the same time. WE did take a 6K trip over the summer last year. Changed oil day before we left and day after I got home. That's the only time it was over 3K but I wasn't changing it in MOAB as I didn't want to carry stuff to do it.

We have a 2009 JK with 178K on it and have done the same since new. Rotate all 5 tires on that.

Cruizer

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2020 Mustang EcoBoost
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Developer
My plan is to switch to full synthetic between 1k and 2k. I'm hoping to hit that before vacation or it may be earlier.

EDIT: After that I always change around 5k and rotate tires at the same time.