Who is actually buying used?

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
Around the start of covid and all the way up to a couple months ago there was journalists talking about the gladiator experiencing poor resale. I typically buy used but after following the market for a few months prior to ordering my truck I don't see how anyone could justify buying a gladiator used. A 500 mile search around me shows the cheapest rubicon in the mid 40k range, putting it within a grand or two of an equally equipped brand new truck and many of them listed used for barely under msrp. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I dont think there are enough Gladiators out there to form much of a used market. Generally you need to wait 24-36 months for lease vehicles to kick off the pricing.

I bought new because I wanted the diesel but hate that I couldn't have waited a few years to buy used. I be it will end up costing me 10k for first 3 years.

OP
OP

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
I dont think there are enough Gladiators out there to form much of a used market. Generally you need to wait 24-36 months for lease vehicles to kick off the pricing.

I bought new because I wanted the diesel but hate that I couldn't have waited a few years to buy used. I be it will end up costing me 10k for first 3 years.
I would be totally fine with 10k over 3 years. That's significantly lower than average. But we are hardly in average times.

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I bought used. I found an LE with 10k miles on it. It was optioned better than what I was building on the jeep website and already had BFG 315s on it- all for less money than the new mojave I was considering. I think the hard part with the used market is valuing the inevitable modifications. A lot of what I was finding included aftermarket wheels/ tires/ bumpers that I didn't want. OR was coming off the rental car market and I'd read horror stories about that.

HWayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JEEP Grand Cherokee, 2020 JEEP Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
A few months ago neighbors son got a basic sport gladiator at an airport rental. The reak of canibus inside permeated the interior so bad one wonders if anyone would even buy it once it offered for. Resale and maybe a detail could remove SOME of the smell but you know it will never be a clean environment!

Sponsored

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I bought mine used. It's build date was Jan 2020, and the original owner only had it for a month or 2, tricked it out (32s, light bar, bully bar, nerf steps, etc.), and 2.5k miles before trading it in. I bought it a day or 2 after.

The story goes, he went from a full-size pickup to a JT before realizing it drives (get this) LIKE A JEEP and not a truck ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Just buy new at a good dealership with a huge discount and it’s cheaper with better rates then used. I got over 7500 off my Sport S which you couldn’t even find for that price used.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
A 500 mile search around me shows the cheapest rubicon in the mid 40k range, putting it within a grand or two of an equally equipped brand new truck and many of them listed used for barely under msrp. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Couldn't agree more. The beat-it-and-dump-it mentality and nutso used prices have driven me towards buying new. (That, and I want a diesel - still typically cheaper or comparable to the used market gassers)

dcjeep

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Around the start of covid and all the way up to a couple months ago there was journalists talking about the gladiator experiencing poor resale. I typically buy used but after following the market for a few months prior to ordering my truck I don't see how anyone could justify buying a gladiator used. A 500 mile search around me shows the cheapest rubicon in the mid 40k range, putting it within a grand or two of an equally equipped brand new truck and many of them listed used for barely under msrp. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I got lucky in January 2020. I picked up a used Overland with all the trimmings interior wise for $32K, It had 1700 miles on it. The story from the dealer was the guy bought it without telling his wife and tried to make it work for a month or two. They had 3 young kids so he ended trading it in for a, wait for it, mini-van. Ouch!

F3Orangeman

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTOD, ’02 F-150 SCrew
Occupation
Stay-at-Home Financial Analyst (thanks to COVID)
A few months ago neighbors son got a basic sport gladiator at an airport rental. The reak of canibus inside permeated the interior so bad one wonders if anyone would even buy it once it offered for. Resale and maybe a detail could remove SOME of the smell but you know it will never be a clean environment!
Rented a Compass back in December at JAX and the cannibis smell was awful! No smoking means no smoking, no?

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
The used market on jeeps just kind of sucks as a buyer pricewise honestly. They hold their value so well many times it doesn't make sense to buy used. Especially when you consider the interest rates on a new vs used car. After looking at what used wranglers were going for it became clear waiting for a used JT didn't make any sense, especially since I could save a ton of money with a custom order.

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
I tried to buy used but every one was more or very close to what my new one ended up costing and were lessor equipped Sport S models.
I made offers in the 33K range on them, that I thought was fair given what you can get a new for, and was turned down each time.

A few claimed (as one might guess) that there was no way to buy a new one for what I did.

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I got lucky in January 2020. I picked up a used Overland with all the trimmings interior wise for $32K, It had 1700 miles on it.
I think you win the prize for the best deal on this whole forum. wow.

NHM95

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Most cars depreciate once it rolls off the lot. It sounds like the dealer is trying to get as much as possible because they know a JTR will sell. My Jeep had 3200 miles on it and had all the options I wanted and more, still walked away at over $10k below MSRP after negotiations.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Most cars depreciate once it rolls off the lot.
I did not even consider used, because I had to order anyway to get the options I wanted.

Even so, since I tend to keep vehicle a very long time, used does not make sense to me.

My last vehicle I bought new and drove 16 years and 350,000 miles. It was time to replace it. If I had bought a two-year-old of the same model instead, I would have likely had to replace it two years ago, before I even knew there was going to be JT. So I might now be on a Ridgeline forum. :(
Sponsored