Sponsored

Why did everyone decide their trim level (sport vs rubicon etc)?

Cajun4X4

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
X-ray Tech
Ended up with a Rubicon, but was initially looking at a loaded Overland. For some reason the dealers in Louisiana were not willing to trade vehicles so I couldn't get the color I wanted. Went to three different dealers. The last dealer offered me the most for my trade and that extra put me in the same price range I was willing to pay for the Overland. I asked them to cut me a deal on the JTR and the rest is history. Actually I'm really glad I ended up with the Rubicon. It has all the options I wanted (except the Aux switches - easy upgrade) plus it tows a bit more than the Overland. The look and stance are just right for me, so need to throw a bunch of money at it right away.
Sponsored

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81’ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ‘18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
Hmmmm....... I wonder why I chose the color and wheel color I did... :angel: ;)

This is my trademark paint color and black wheels. Has been since 2005...Well, that color didn't quite exist back then, but close...

Traded this...

IMG_9118.jpeg

For this...

IMG_0743.jpeg

And immediately turned it into this... In a span of 1 month. :devil:

JTR.jpeg
And how’s that radical life changing choice making you happy or less happy??
I’m curious- really!
C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
And how’s that radical life changing choice making you happy or less happy??
I’m curious- really!
C
Well, I've always had both highly-built 4x4 trucks and muscle cars... So it really isn't as big of a shift as it would be for most folks.

As for happiness? Well... A bit of both happy & dissatisfied. For what it is, it's not bad, but I do miss the V8 sound and raw power & performance. I really wish Jeep would have put a 5.7 Hemi in the Rubicons...Especially for the price.

aj8544

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR,2018 Wrangler JLU 2.0, 2018 F150
Rubicon for me. Needed either max tow or rubicon for my towing needs. Every time I configured a max tow the way I wanted it I ended up at 49k. To me the Rubicon just seemed like a better value (keep in mind this was before the covid rebates). The additional 6-7k seemed like a bargain for all the Rubicon goodies, leather, premium audio etc. Also every time Ive purchased a vehicle before I always cheaped out a bit and bought mostly lower trim no frills models. I always grew tired of those vehicles after a few months, and wished I had bought the nicer model. I didnt want to make that mistake this time.

I did debate alot on buying a max tow and building it up to just what I wanted, but a big deciding factor was the resale value. You will never get your money back from building up a sport, particularly if trading at a dealer, which is what I typically do.

So happy I splurged on a mostly loaded Rubicon, I paid 50k plus tax for a sticker of 57k in February. At the time that was a great deal here in NY. Haven't regretted a single thing, 4 months in I love it more everyday.

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1967 Toyota LandCruiser
Occupation
Engineer
I was all over the place trying to decide on trim level but netted out at a Sport Base manual with a hard top - largely based on the vehicle it will be replacing...

FJ40.JPG

I have a full size truck and a 3500 van so hauling wasn't a factor. It came down to wanting an engaging, elemental driver that could lightly wheel and be a daily driver. The Base checked all the boxes.
Nice TLC!

Sponsored

BMorrNH

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2001 XJ Sport
Interesting to read through this thread as I just hung out at my local dealership going through this same exercise yesterday. I went in with my printed summaries of a well appointed sport S and a stripped down Rubicon. I want another standard so max tow was not an option, that pretty much killed the idea of the sport S for me but I continued. The Rubicon ended up at $7,700 over the sport S I built. $48,100. Then I strolled over to service and priced the 2.5" lift and 35's which cut the difference in half. Add lockers someday, even closer. Just makes no sense for me. My current rig is the newest vehicle I've ever owned, 2005 unlimited Rubicon Sahara. 264k miles. She left me sitting at home on father's day with a massive coolant leak. Given that I'm keeping that rig and spending close to $50k, I may not be wheeling much in a new gladiator, but I will certainly get there!

I was underwhelmed by the V-6 and couldn't figure it out until a friend pointed out the power to weight ratios between my 05 unlimited Rubicon and the gladiator. A shame they don't put an 8 cylinder in these!

Great and timely thread!

watarski

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I went with a Sport S for several reasons. Cost is one, I just can't justify spending $50k on a Jeep. I look at the ride quality, comfort, power, technology, etc in my wife's Expedition that I paid less for....just couldn't do it. I could have waited to save up more,, and planned to, but found the exact Sport S I wanted at a great price so I jumped on it.
I also like to tinker and I wanted to make the Jeep my own, and so far I've been able to do just that. I had new wheels, tires, and running boards within 2 days of bringing it home. I would have had a harder time doing that if I had dropped the extra coin on a Rubicon, not to mention I don't need some of its features. Another reason is hobbies - I was able to buy a new KTM 890 Duke R with the difference I saved between the Sport and Rubi!

Jysidron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Supervisor
I went with the Sport S. I wanted max tow and the auxiliary switches. The dealer added the spray in bed liner and running boards. I added a soft top for the summer time. I'm sure, over time, I'll be adding/modding this rig. As of today, I'm completely satisfied with my purchase.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
I started out looking at the Sport but ended up buying a Rubicon in November, which was before Jeep came out with the $2k rebate on the Sports. If I got the Sport, I would have added tires, wheels, rock rails, bed line and bed cover. The dealer had a Rubi on the lot that netted out about $4k more than the Sport so that is what I bought.

I generally do not keep vehicles more than three years, so I figured the Rubi would be the best value when it comes time to sell, vs the Sport with after purchase add ons.

Had the $2k rebate been available at the time of purchase, I would have probably went with the Sport

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
I was pretty shocked to see a $3200 cost difference ($3500 if you throw in tax) between the base model JT that I ordered in March 2020 and a similarly appointed Sport. $3500 for pwr windows and door locks just seemed excessive.

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
All Gladiators come with Dana 44's, and actually the Max Tow package on the base Sport or Sport S has identical axles minus the lockers (which you could install later when regearing).
Im sure you can install them later. But not now. I would already have lockers going into my Max Tow, but all I can find available is the ARB & I dont want the onboard Air.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Went with a sport with Max Tow and paid $37,100 out the door for mine. Wanted the 4.10 gears for towing purposes and gas mileage. Added 35's, front bumper and winch and still under $40,000 total all in. Also wanted a BMW 440i Hardtop Convertible so it made sense to go with the cheaper option. Currently averaging 18.7 MPGs and totally happy with my 2017 BMW 440i

Sport S Max Tow is also a GVWR of 6250
I wonder where they get that weight from. I was at the dump Monday and on their scale with about 500lbs on the rear to dump I was just over 5500lbs.

Jeep Gladiator Why did everyone decide their trim level (sport vs rubicon etc)? IMG_20200622_110539

IMG_20200622_104749.jpg

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I was pretty shocked to see a $3200 cost difference ($3500 if you throw in tax) between the base model JT that I ordered in March 2020 and a similarly appointed Sport. $3500 for pwr windows and door locks just seemed excessive.
It is considering I was quoted $800 to do powerlocks and windows on mine at Freeman's in Concord NC. Might do the powerlocks, don't really care about the power windows. Power locks would be $500 total and that's with Disconnects for the doors when off.

Jaydebe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stacy'sMom aka: 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Renovations
Vehicle Showcase
This was kind of easy for me. I did want a Sport with Maxtow, but that quickly changed when I saw that not many dealers had this option and a special order could not get me the vehicle fast enough.

A few important add-ons like lockers, disconnect swaybar, hi-clearance fenders, etc; easily brought to light the Rubicon as a deal.

I hate to say it, but I also considered resale in the equation and IMO a Rubi. package my offer a better value for resale to many people and/or on trade-ins.

Also, having the ability to have all of the options I wanted in the financing price, rather than spending my cash up front or using a credit card; especially with how easy it's been to still have a built budget topple 10k with the Rubi. package.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Wonder how many JT have been taken over by the bank, etc. In looking around on some of the used deals there are a ton of JT with very low miles all up for sale. Most of them appear to be Rubicons. Just curious if a lot of folks didn't get in way over their head so to speak on payments they could not make or lost jobs, etc. I know for me what I would love to get is not what I am going to get. Its going to be what I can afford safely and comfortably monthly. The cost is what will determine trim level
Sponsored