Sponsored

Why did you/didn’t you lift your JT?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Because mine is a lease and I’m not dropping over 2k on a lift. If I decide to buy it out, I throw the Mopar 2” lift on.
Mine is a lease, too....But I plan on buying it at the end of it. Unless they drop a Hemi V8 JTR for a reasonable price, then I'll be snatching my winch & bumper off, and my tires & wheels off of it, putting the stocker crap back on there, and trading it in early for one.

Then, I will do the same thing with the V8 one, and then purchase at the end of the lease.

Granted, I would be leaving the 2.5" spacer lift on the old one, because it's not worth the money to have it removed before trading it in. Now, if I have my 2.5" Evo Enforcer Stage 2 Plus installed, that would be worth the money to remove.

Which is another advantage to a spacer lift... They're not expensive, so if you lease, you can afford to leave the thing on there when it's done, if you don't decide to keep it. And they might not even hit you on some other things for keeping the add-ons installed and increasing the value of the Jeep for them to sell to the next person.
Sponsored

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Lifted 2" with 35s
#1-Looks
#2-In case I need it. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

OldFloridaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I was never really intending to lift my JT from the outset - I got this primarily as a truck that I could take the top off of. I was considering getting some slightly larger tires eventually (I have a Sport S max tow), but that was down the line. Living in Florida, I don't have a real need for a rock crawler, and while I'll take it out on trips to the nearby national forests, those wouldn't require massive amounts of lift.

Decision was cemented this past week though - I had to go into my office one night (only been there a couple of times over the past 6 months of COVID). Driving the JT into the parking garage, warning lights and sirens went off, directing me to the "Oversized vehicles and delivery" section of the garage. Looked at the signs, saying it was a 6' maximum clearance, and decided to give it a try. At the lowest point, I had about 2" clearance above the roof of the JT. So it can fit, but just barely. So it will be staying stock for the time being, otherwise I'd have to get on the 3-4 year waiting list to park in one of the city garages (and pay $100 a month) or pay $10 a day to park on the street once I have to go back into the office...

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I was never really intending to lift my JT from the outset - I got this primarily as a truck that I could take the top off of. I was considering getting some slightly larger tires eventually (I have a Sport S max tow), but that was down the line. Living in Florida, I don't have a real need for a rock crawler, and while I'll take it out on trips to the nearby national forests, those wouldn't require massive amounts of lift.

Decision was cemented this past week though - I had to go into my office one night (only been there a couple of times over the past 6 months of COVID). Driving the JT into the parking garage, warning lights and sirens went off, directing me to the "Oversized vehicles and delivery" section of the garage. Looked at the signs, saying it was a 6' maximum clearance, and decided to give it a try. At the lowest point, I had about 2" clearance above the roof of the JT. So it can fit, but just barely. So it will be staying stock for the time being, otherwise I'd have to get on the 3-4 year waiting list to park in one of the city garages (and pay $100 a month) or pay $10 a day to park on the street once I have to go back into the office...
I have to agree on not lifting the JT. I have used a F 250 4X4 as my every day driver for well over 15 years. I was planing on buying a new 250 in January the wife and I were in a hospital parking deck and passed a Gladiator and she said that looks easier to park and deal with. I mainly use the JT on the beach and hunting I do not see me going rock crawling any time soon.

TrailHiker

First Name
Denny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S, Black 1946 CJ 2A
I am not lifting mine either. The only suspension changes I made, were replacing he rear springs and shocks with MaxTow progress springs and shocks.
cheers

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I'm several decades short of you wheeling, but I very much agree with you. My old YJ has plenty of room for 33's with a 4" lift - FULL STOP. After a TrueTrac and axle upgrades in the D35 and an SYE, no problems - the trash clutch LSD was the ONLY option back in the day.

At least Ford's c-clip rearends are hell for stout, and the D35's are in the FRONT axle where they belong (for the old compact trucks). 33's took 4" to clear if you want to jump.

The H2's had a lot of girth issues, but at least you can run 37x12.5's with no lift!

I'm so pleased with how the JTR runs with 35's at 80 MPH down I5, I can only see putting better shocks on - my sweetie had traction control trigger on a whups on the 580, imagine if that happened with a significant lift? Also, the JTR gets way better mileage at 80 than an H2......

I've been Jeeping for 46 years now, and I have spent several decades driving lifted and highly modified Jeeps. I gradually came around to thinking that less mods left you with a better Jeep that was more reliable and better driving. But it still needs to have enough clearance to perform well off road. Along came the Mojave, with its factory lift. I bought one, and added 35" tires on the stock wheels and stock suspension, and it works perfectly for me. All I still need to do is install the Warn winch that showed up yesterday on UPS, into the Arcus front bumper that is arriving Monday, and install some JKS quick disconnects that I just ordered, and I'm done. No more mods needed.

Jeep has come a long long way in the last several decades. I remember when 30" tires rubbed on a stock YJ. And those cheap c-clip Dana 35 rear axles? Yikes.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
I lifted my Jeep after I tried taking a shortcut to a watering hole and my truck became a seesaw. Took me 4 hours (no joke) to use the scissor jack and stack rocks to get it unstuck. 95 degree weather in swim trunks and flip flops. My kids were also in their bathing suits. Told them sorry this won’t happen again. Lifted the truck the next weekend.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I have a Rubi so it's already "lifted" compared to a base model. I'm not lifting it further because I want to avoid potential handling issues like I had on my previous JK Rubicons that were lifted 3.5" and running 35s. Just got tired of little annoyances, and want great road manners.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Rubi so it's already "lifted" compared to a base model. I'm not lifting it further because I want to avoid potential handling issues like I had on my previous JK Rubicons that were lifted 3.5" and running 35s. Just got tired of little annoyances, and want great road manners.
Two totally different animals. Also, the JK's had known handling problems.

Mine got exponentially better after lifting with wider tires & wheels, than it was stock. Maybe it's a fluke, but plenty of others on here have reported the same thing. I think the JT is too long to have that narrow of a track-width, and really shines after you extend that by putting on aftermarket tires & wheels.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I hear that a lot. Note the "I don't want to risk" part. I simply don't believe you, and that's ok. The only JT I drove that had 37s was noisy and handled poorly.

Sponsored

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Jeep Gladiator Mojave
No lift b/c it's mainly a family commuter car (40 miles daily) that we bought to give us unlimited OBX access. I don't want to make the existing (already garbage) MPG worse with lifts and bigger tires.

But going 15mph on beaches w/ a speed limit of 35 was a bummer. We bottomed out constantly if we went faster. So I might add the Mojave's Fox performance bump stops to keep the MPG around 19-21, but give us the ability to hit beach moguls at higher speeds. When you drive MILES on a beach, every MPH counts.

But we've also had a couple electrical gremlins with this year's model, so I might eventually swap it in for a Mojave in a few years so we can hit the beach at speed—once FCA comes clean and fixes that ECC/CEL/P0300 problem.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
Ultimately I want a Mopar 2" lift while upgrading my 33's to 35's.

Throw in camping, beach, etc. - we're a pretty active family. Plus my wife is on the short side.

Considering I love the look as-is, I've been holding off on a lift (again, for now).
Okay, neither my wife nor I are tall people. I have seen some brilliant things for steps-on High-Rail trucks I have seen the bottom step being mounted using double roller chain. That way the step can push up out of the way for rocks etc. but is solid pushing in from the side. I really wish that I could find a picture of it.

Cowboy JK

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 2dr JK Sahara
One of the reasons I bought a Mojave was the additional 1" lift in the front. I think it looks good as is and it won't spend enough time off road to justify lifting it.(OKC is the vast wasteland for legal offroading). Bigger tires maybe.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hear that a lot. Note the "I don't want to risk" part. I simply don't believe you, and that's ok. The only JT I drove that had 37s was noisy and handled poorly.
Drive more of them... You'll believe me then...Or maybe not. I honestly don't give a shit either way. Just saying, there's a lot more than just 1 lifted JT out there, and a lot more parts options out there than what that one had on it. And not every one of them was put together by skilled minds and hands with quality parts, and if it was, not every one of them will be properly setup either. Lots of factors to look into.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
They simply don't look right until they are high enough for 37's. That is the correct tire size for these vehicles and should come that way stock with 4.88's, and with a touch more than the mopar lift currently offers, about 3" perfect. ;)

Loving mine set up this way, mopar lift plus 3/4" pucks up front, 37's, 4.88's, drives great.
Sponsored