Sponsored

Why do owners never take doors/tops off or go off-road?

GladiSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 08 S2000 CR, 08 S2000, 22 392 XR Order
Build Thread
Link
Well, I could ask the question - why do I see 25 year old women driving a F250 4x4 to the store to get a gallon of milk and some candy bars?
Buying vehicles is all about psychology and emotion.
Why did people spend thousands of dollars for a Buick when the Ford was hundreds in about 1914?

As far as no roof or doors - this is Iowa. Granted, taking the roof off isn't a huge deal, takes time and effort, but still not bad. Doors take more effort, still not bad - so it's supposed to be a nice afternoon but may rain tomorrow - is it worth stripping it down, driving for an hour, getting back home and putting it all back together before you head out tomorrow? Or do you wait for a week of decent temps and dry weather? then the temps hit 100 and it's windy as heck - no fun, so take a different vehicle and no one happens to SEE that you had it all apart.....

Maybe they just LIKE THE TRUCK and don't care that the doors come off?
I know people with sunroofs who have never even opened them........ big deal.
Why does it bother some so much that people buy for different reasons and use a vehicle differently than the one asking?
Vehicle purchases are based almost as much on emotional responses - sometimes maybe more - than NEED or pure logic.
Does my wife NEED, absolutely NEED a Grand Cherokee? Is it a MUST? Will she take it into sand and mud off road? Or is it peace of mind that it CAN go anywhere, is among the safest vehicles out there to drive in our winters - worse, on our roads (that somehow seem to make the news every couple of years for massive wrecks)
EXACTLY. I will take my roof and doors off, but as for those that don't.....NONE OF MY BUSINESS. If we all bought what we actually needed, many of us would only be driving Honda Fits. The majority of us literally only need a Honda Fit to fulfill our needs, and many others would get by with a Subaru for their weather challenges year round.

Who cares what people buy and how they use it? Be grateful they do so you can ALSO buy it and do what YOU want with it.
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Well, I could ask the question - why do I see 25 year old women driving a F250 4x4 to the store to get a gallon of milk and some candy bars?
Buying vehicles is all about psychology and emotion.
Why did people spend thousands of dollars for a Buick when the Ford was hundreds in about 1914?

As far as no roof or doors - this is Iowa. Granted, taking the roof off isn't a huge deal, takes time and effort, but still not bad. Doors take more effort, still not bad - so it's supposed to be a nice afternoon but may rain tomorrow - is it worth stripping it down, driving for an hour, getting back home and putting it all back together before you head out tomorrow? Or do you wait for a week of decent temps and dry weather? then the temps hit 100 and it's windy as heck - no fun, so take a different vehicle and no one happens to SEE that you had it all apart.....

Maybe they just LIKE THE TRUCK and don't care that the doors come off?
I know people with sunroofs who have never even opened them........ big deal.
Why does it bother some so much that people buy for different reasons and use a vehicle differently than the one asking?
Vehicle purchases are based almost as much on emotional responses - sometimes maybe more - than NEED or pure logic.
Does my wife NEED, absolutely NEED a Grand Cherokee? Is it a MUST? Will she take it into sand and mud off road? Or is it peace of mind that it CAN go anywhere, is among the safest vehicles out there to drive in our winters - worse, on our roads (that somehow seem to make the news every couple of years for massive wrecks)
The time to put it back together or days in between is a huge factor. I get so many laughs out of my co-workers. They are like "why didn't you bring the jeep today" and I have to state that its raining, to cold that morning, etc. I have a soft top, but even that back window is a bitch to put back in honestly if I want good airflow. Doors are another process. If the JT is somebody's daily driver I can totally see why they might never do anything more than the freedom panels most days.

That being said when people ask me about the JT I always give my honest option that its the best convertible you can get. Its the best offroad truck you can get. If you don't care about those at all there are better options out there.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
EXACTLY. I will take my roof and doors off, but as for those that don't.....NONE OF MY BUSINESS. If we all bought what we actually needed, many of us would only be driving Honda Fits. The majority of us literally only need a Honda Fit to fulfill our needs, and many others would get by with a Subaru for their weather challenges year round.

Who cares what people buy and how they use it? Be grateful they do so you can ALSO buy it and do what YOU want with it.
Lol so true! Honestly the Fit has more cargo space than the JT! I even moved a motorcycle with my fit back in the day!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

Wow, well said.

I have to wonder - if Jeep didn't offer some of these other versions, would there even BE a Rubicon? It cost mega-bucks to develop a new platform or model.
If the Rubicon was the only version offered - would it even exist? What if all of the Overland owners never bought a JT because there wasn't a fit for them in the JT lineup? Could Jeep afford to offer something so niche?
Don't bother "trying" to answer - no one would never know and anyone trying is simply speculating. Unless you are a major degreed marketing research master on Madison Avenue.

I saw a Gladiator in a show room, I wanted it - before I even thought about the roof or doors coming off because it was "Wrangler based". I didn't even THINK about that aspect - just that it was FINALLY, a JEEP TRUCK!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Pictures? ;-)
Not showing in my google photos, those pictures were on an old blackberry.

I did find a photo of a keg standing and fully usable in that car though. lol

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How many women wear yoga pants and never work out?
If you've ever been to Walmart, you'd know it's in the thousands.....

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Solid axles.... less parts to wear out / fail and need to be replaced vs IFS-ISV.
I've have a long history with Jeep (and family) vehicles, a half million miles in fact. With that I have minimal replacement parts.
" I do take top and doors off of my LJ and possibly my JT sometime later. "

JeepApex

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport-S (Billet Silver)
Can someone please explain to me why so many people have Wranglers (and I'm sure it'll be the same with the Gladiators) that never, ever take the tops or doors off or leave the pavement? Maybe because I see so many left and right here in the DC metro area, most of them being Rubicons no less, and the biggest obstacles their vehicles ever see is accidentally tagging a curb.

Seriously, it really has me dumbfounded.

What exactly is the draw for people who have no desire to leave suburbia and urban areas to own these vehicles?

Just curious from a psychological perspective...
Lives/works in the DC Metro area, the CAPITOL of the United States of America... a country founded upon FREEDOM. Yet still questions (to the point of "dumbfounded"-ness) the FREE WILL, or choices, of her fellow FREE countrymen.

Oh, the irony!!

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Solid axles.... less parts to wear out / fail and need to be replaced vs IFS-ISV.
I've have a long history with Jeep (and family) vehicles, a half million miles in fact. With that I have minimal replacement parts.
" I do take top and doors off of my LJ and possibly my JT sometime later. "
Maybe in the past, but my Eagle suspension and steering went 160,000 miles and I replaced parts only because it was a restoration.
My 73 - 100,000 miles - that was due to age and not wear - the bushings rotted.
The only real difference is control arm bushings - but then, no.
Could the numbers of bushings and joints - IFS has the same.
Steering parts - there are a couple more joints on IFS.
My WJ has 127,000 miles and the bushings are not good, the upper ball joints have been replaced.
(for those looking on - those Grand Cherokees have the same suspension and steering as a JT)

So in that way, my WJ solid axle Jeep has worn out more parts faster than my Eagle IFS.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe in the past, but my Eagle suspension and steering went 160,000 miles and I replaced parts only because it was a restoration.
My 73 - 100,000 miles - that was due to age and not wear - the bushings rotted.
The only real difference is control arm bushings - but then, no.
Could the numbers of bushings and joints - IFS has the same.
Steering parts - there are a couple more joints on IFS.
My WJ has 127,000 miles and the bushings are not good, the upper ball joints have been replaced.
(for those looking on - those Grand Cherokees have the same suspension and steering as a JT)

So in that way, my WJ solid axle Jeep has worn out more parts faster than my Eagle IFS.
Hmmm AMC :like: AKA Jeep ;)
Part of what I was thinking about is the shot struts /springs and tires setting at angle, groaning when turning ECT. Or just ragged out or junk. Like a Chevy is the day it's made ..:LOL:
A joke for anyone that can't understand on... The Chevy barb.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm AMC :like: AKA Jeep ;)
Part of what I was thinking about is the shot struts /springs and tires setting at angle, groaning when turning ECT. Or just ragged out or junk. Like a Chevy is the day it's made ..:LOL:
A joke for anyone that can't understand on... The Chevy barb.
Oh, man - I remember those days. Not fun........ and the trunnion suspension - few even know how to work on those today.
And please don't mention McPherson strut - I don't care for 'em at all.
Frankly, I've had such GREAT luck with Jeep of any type - from the solid axle Grand Cherokee to the IFS GC to this JT - my wife gave me an early Christmas present today, - a neat latter that attaches to the tailgate. You open the tail gate, take loose a strap and a ladder folds out to the side.
It's not here but I told her looks cool and looks perfect for climbing up in there and pulling things up ramps and such. I've never seen one until she showed me a photo of what she got.
Told her I felt like this truck could be it for me - a real keeper, something I'd not get bored with and if I wore it out I'd get another, too. As long as Jeep keeps making things like this, we'll be a multi-Jeep family for sure.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
When I see other Gladiators on the road they are never towing anything!!!! And they don’t have any payload!? What the hell are they buying these trucks for?

If your not on the Rubicon with your Rubicon, towing a camper, hauling kayaks, and have your dog in the back seat, your not a real Jeeper. Just a poser that I look down on.

Cheers,
Jeep Gate Keeper
Sponsored