Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It fits as well as any other one, same bolt pattern, winch body is about the same but control box is slightly larger and uses solenoids that can quit working or get stuck open or closed. Big plus is you can jump one or bypass it and still operate the winch. Reasons I changed it out it's showing it's age and use, been ran hard, higher amp draw compared to what a larger capacity winch will.
Jeep Gladiator Why does no one mention Ramsey Winches? IMG_20200223_133414
Jeep Gladiator Why does no one mention Ramsey Winches? IMG_20200223_133432
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have searched this forum and could only find one mention of Ramsey and no details about them.
http://www.ramsey.com/shop/applications/off-road/re12000rx/

Does anyone have experience with Ramsey winches or know anything about the company? It seems odd to me that there's no mention of them here, considering many winches are discussed.

Thanks for anything you can share!
I had a Ramsey winch about 20 years ago... It did NOT hold up well in stock form. I think it's still sitting in my dad's shed needing a rebuild. I need to get it from him and see if I can rebuild it, fix it, fully rewire the solenoid (waterproof it), and put a synthetic cable on it if I get it working... I bet I could mount it to a flatbed trailer and get some use out of it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
OnEdge

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1967 Toyota LandCruiser
Occupation
Engineer
So you have a Ramsey winch and are asking people about them. That’s interesting.
It was a long time ago when I bought mine and like 15 years since I used it. I was trying to figure out if Ramsey was still a player and if they still made good winches. I searched the forum here and found no reference to Ramsey so I had to ask for others feedback.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I think they are more in to commercial or heavy duty "Wrecker" use now than off road community I might be totally wrong. Many companies have merged or moved on.
AL. Mud
I had heard about that being a problem for some, mine has been ran even under water quite a few times, in some nasty swamp water in S.E. GA. and FL. Part of reason the finish is coming off. I've had a solenoid stick a time or two, but not when I was using it for a recovery. But I had it wired with Warm Quick connect kit for use on front and back of the XJ. Another reason for my update of winch is the sliding ring gear to lock or free spool line. I had a Mile Marker winch free spool under load due to that. That was after the major tornado outbreak here in AL. years back. I was pulling a tree out of a house.

Sponsored

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
I have a Ramsey 9500 on my 2003 F 250 it has been used a lot, no problems except the winch looks 17 years old and the finish is flaking off in places. All said I would not be afraid to buy a Ramsey if I put a winch on my JT. I mainly use the Jeep surf fishing on the beach and if I get stuck I have no place to winch to.

MoparToYou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I have experience with Ramsey winches, I've owned two of them, many years ago. The first one broke in half while winching my Jeep out of the little sluice on the Rubicon Trail. Ramsey refused to cover it under warranty. The second Ramsey winch I used when I competed in Four Wheeler Magazine's Top Truck Challenge, back in 1997. The winch shorted out internally while winching my Jeep in the Tank Trap part of the competition. Ramsey refused to cover it under warranty. I haven't purchased another Ramsey winch.

OP
OP
OnEdge

OnEdge

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1967 Toyota LandCruiser
Occupation
Engineer
I have experience with Ramsey winches, I've owned two of them, many years ago. The first one broke in half while winching my Jeep out of the little sluice on the Rubicon Trail. Ramsey refused to cover it under warranty. The second Ramsey winch I used when I competed in Four Wheeler Magazine's Top Truck Challenge, back in 1997. The winch shorted out internally while winching my Jeep in the Tank Trap part of the competition. Ramsey refused to cover it under warranty. I haven't purchased another Ramsey winch.
Interesting. Thanks for the info!
Sponsored