Sponsored

Why no max tow with the manual transmission?

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
No bikes anymore but I definitely enjoy the AX15 in my YJ, I hear you!

I've towed a variety of weighed trailers, and there (at least in my personal observation) is definitely a point where the 8-speed recognizes a trailer and adapts it's shift points accordingly. Like @ShadowsPapa said above, I found it holds the rpms higher for a longer period of time between gears. I honestly love the Auto in my JT, and have my YJ or bike to run thru the gears if I feel the urge.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta have at least one with manual - didn't upgrade to the AX15 like some suggested but kept the T5.
Since I totally rebuilt the transmission and used a better lube than the factory originally specified, it's been great.

Jeep Gladiator Why no max tow with the manual transmission? sx4-exhaust-new-007

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I'm not sure I get your point here. They're all midsize and that will always limit towing. The point is that Toyota selected a box that was designed for the application whereas Jeep compromised. I've towed heavy (relatively speaking) with both and while neither are a super duty, the Tacoma and Gladiator both tow in the 6k range just fine.
I don’t think Jeep compromised at all. They just have different priorities. I am 100% ok with them selecting one that keeps driveline angles better. After all, it’s a Jeep. I don’t want to start an argument but I find all these towing threads somewhat comical. If one really needs to tow regularly and towing performance is a priority then a JT is not the right truck. Neither is a Taco. Neither is a 1500, for that matter. A 3/4 or 1 ton truck fits that need so much better.

arneb04

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Working
I'm not sure I get your point here. They're all midsize and that will always limit towing. The point is that Toyota selected a box that was designed for the application whereas Jeep compromised. I've towed heavy (relatively speaking) with both and while neither are a super duty, the Tacoma and Gladiator both tow in the 6k range just fine.
You said Toyota didn’t half ass it. Ok. They have a higher rated stick for towing. They have an overall weaker engine that gets worse gas mileage. So. My point was they clearly didn’t full ass it, they didn’t have or implement all the solutions to make a universal vehicle. They didn’t even make a compromise with that choice if that’s what Jeep even did with theirs which Im not positive they did. I have no doubt their market research guided them to an easy driving stick vs one that could tow a bunch. If their data showed overwhelmingly that the people wanted something the competition offered I’m sure they would have figured it out. Maybe too much credit to them, I don’t know.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think Jeep compromised at all. They just have different priorities. I am 100% ok with them selecting one that keeps driveline angles better. After all, it’s a Jeep. I don’t want to start an argument but I find all these towing threads somewhat comical. If one really needs to tow regularly and towing performance is a priority then a JT is not the right truck. Neither is a Taco. Neither is a 1500, for that matter. A 3/4 or 1 ton truck fits that need so much better.
Not these days. Even in 2011 when I was truck shopping, dealer after dealer suggested that a 3/4 ton truck was over-kill for my towing needs (car hauler, with car, or even the camper I used to have) and I found out with my Silverado they were absolutely correct. That 1/2 ton truck blew my F250 away. It kept up on hills and with sheer pulling ability where the Ford 3/4 ton from 1995 fell flat.
Granted if I wanted to haul 2,000 pounds of my antique engines in the back of the truck - the Ford ruled there, but for towing - 1/2 ton did what 3/4 used to.
And there are many forum members who DO tow regularly - some large stuff - it's just that they have the correct version of the JT to handle their needs. The 4.10 ratio means the RPM will more often be in a good place compared to the 3.73 gearing. Manually shifting the automatic means it won't be hunting so much on hills, they're fine.
As Lee Iacocca used to love to say "the rules have changed" - you no longer need a 3/4 ton truck to haul 6,000-7,000 pounds of trailer.

Myself - I could not see for my occasional towing needs going with a huge fat long truck that you can't park in modern parking lots without two attempts at a space.
Why have a huge pickup sitting around for 2 or 3 times a year? My Chevy sat most of the time. It wasn't a fun truck to take into crowded areas or find a parking spot for. It was wide and long and not so friendly on gas. I put a whopping 6500 miles a year on it - what a waste.

Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Except it doesn't fix driveline angles on the JT because it's a 2-piece driveshaft. The box could literally be a foot longer and it would make zero difference. Like I said, they compromised by carrying it over instead of putting in a more HD box capable of meeting the truck's capability.

I mean for the later half, no shit? Fuck it why stop at a 1 ton when you can buy an F-750. More is better, right?

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Myself - I could not see for my occasional towing needs going with a huge fat long truck that you can't park in modern parking lots without two attempts at a space.
Why have a huge pickup sitting around for 2 or 3 times a year? My Chevy sat most of the time. It wasn't a fun truck to take into crowded areas or find a parking spot for. It was wide and long and not so friendly on gas. I put a whopping 6500 miles a year on it - what a waste.
Exactly. For a once-in-a-while tow rig it’s perfectly fine. I don’ think it’s the best choice for towing on a regular, frequent basis.

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Except it doesn't fix driveline angles on the JT because it's a 2-piece driveshaft. The box could literally be a foot longer and it would make zero difference. Like I said, they compromised by carrying it over instead of putting in a more HD box capable of meeting the truck's capability.
I honestly never looked that closely. In that case you are right on.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I honestly never looked that closely. In that case you are right on.
And I didn't mean to come off like an ass or anything but that's the one beef I have with Jeep over this. They could have used a different box or had it beefed up and the MT would have been amazing. Instead they just carried it over and de-rated to the point the MT tows less than the Honda Ridgeline. To me it negates much of the purpose of buying a pickup because I generally don't tow more than 5-6k and if I do, it's not frequent enough to deal with a full-size every day or on trails. The JLU is close enough in towing and far better everywhere else for me that I'd definitely go that route if I really wanted the manual.

OP
OP

flsupraguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
And I didn't mean to come off like an ass or anything but that's the one beef I have with Jeep over this. They could have used a different box or had it beefed up and the MT would have been amazing. Instead they just carried it over and de-rated to the point the MT tows less than the Honda Ridgeline. To me it negates much of the purpose of buying a pickup because I generally don't tow more than 5-6k and if I do, it's not frequent enough to deal with a full-size every day or on trails. The JLU is close enough in towing and far better everywhere else for me that I'd definitely go that route if I really wanted the manual.
+1

Sponsored

Tim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
No worries. I am a bit of a manual transmission fan myself so it is disappointing that they are so anemic in the JT. My daily commute can have a lot of traffic and the wife wasn’t cool with getting a stick so I have the 8 speed. I put in in manual mode on a semi-regular basis but it’s just not the same…

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I'm just glad they still offer a manual. It's no max tow at all, but the 4500 lbs rating is much more than I need. I bought it because I wanted a pickup bed, and to tow my small old vw on occasion, but I wanted an off-roader too. It was either this or the Taco, because I only drive stick. I drove the tacoma, but it wasn't for me. I was disappointed, because I've always liked Toyota pickups, since back to the future. Overall, I find the manual JT to be easy to drive, enjoyable and plenty capable. But it's definitely not a max tow. It's fun off road and as a daily though. And great for hauling stuff too big or tall for my wife's Wrangler (also manual).

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
Don't even worry about why, just get the auto ... it's worth it.

Wilkerbeast

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom Edition
Occupation
Aviation Technician
Vehicle Showcase
When Jeep designed the Gladiator, they did not design a manual trans for it. The one that comes in the Gladiator is the same one made for the 2door Wrangler. Which is rated for only 3000 lbs of towing. 4000 in the JT. To put it in the Gladiator was stupid and explains why there is a recall.