Sponsored

Why no max tow with the manual transmission?

Deleted member 30519

because the manual sucks.
My 5.13 gears are laughing at you
I just don't get it, why do some touchless transmission guys have so much hate for a manual? It's amusing.

I think a lot of people have never driven one so it's easy to justify their purchase so they can sleep at night. When all the cars and trucks are driving themselves they will wish they all fought for the stick shift. I owned a JL for 2 years and that transmission was an absolute dog searcher on back hilly terrains. All these pavement queens on flat level ground wouldn't understand that.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I think a lot of people have never driven one
You may have something. There's no bashing soft top vs hard top, leather vs cloth, bluetooth radio vs no bluetooth radio, green vs gray. You mention a clutch or a manual transmission and then let the bashing begin. It's hilarious.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You may have something. There's no bashing soft top vs hard top, leather vs cloth, bluetooth radio vs no bluetooth radio, green vs gray. You mention a clutch or a manual transmission and then let the bashing begin. It's hilarious.
The only bashing I see are the macho he-man types who believe you are a queen, a woos, a wimp if you don't have 5.xx gears and a stick shift - you are less than nothing and shouldn't even OWN a JEep if you don't meet THEIR criteria of a "real man" (and most of them don't know what REALLY makes real men)
That's the only bashing I see - coming from the stick shift side, not aimed AT the stick shifters.

Each has their place, each has their reasons and each has pros and cons. I'd love to see some of these macho men maneuver a trailer into places I've been without burning up their clutch.
On the other hand, I'm rarely satisfied with the shift scheduling of many automatics and tend to want to choose my own time things should shift up or down.

I've owned a huge variety of cars and trucks and SUVs over the years - from my first truck with granny low that probably had a top speed of 10 mph in low low gear, and then the two trucks I had with 4 speeds and 2 speed differentials giving me 8 forward ratios total, cars, trucks, SUVs, 3 speed, 4 speed, 5 speed. Each one was better than another at some things, worse than others at other things.

I'm not like some in this thread who treat those who don't meet THEIR expectations with disdain and dislike and bashing because they can't be REAL men.
If it wasn't for the buyers of the automatics, their precious Jeeps would simply disappear - not enough REAL he-men would be buying them, Jeep would go under or have to totally rely on the Grand Cherokee and Renegade to survive.

Yup - the only true or real bashing I see is coming from certain drivers of the manual JT or JL - it's not from the automatic owners. We're more live and let live (or trying to figure out what's up with the clutch issues in the manual versions of these trucks - not to bash, but what's up with those?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I really like manual transmissions, but in this platform the auto is just better overall IMO. That's not "hate".
Right - the hate seems to be coming from one or two on the "manual" preference side. Automatic owners simply state their preference like you did.

In the case of the JT - they apparently have some clutch issues - that's not bashing manual transmissions or the choice of buying one - it's stating an observation.

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
The only bashing I see are the macho he-man types who believe you are a queen, a woos, a wimp if you don't have 5.xx gears and a stick shift - you are less than nothing and shouldn't even OWN a JEep if you don't meet THEIR criteria of a "real man" (and most of them don't know what REALLY makes real men)
That's the only bashing I see - coming from the stick shift side, not aimed AT the stick shifters.

Each has their place, each has their reasons and each has pros and cons. I'd love to see some of these macho men maneuver a trailer into places I've been without burning up their clutch.
On the other hand, I'm rarely satisfied with the shift scheduling of many automatics and tend to want to choose my own time things should shift up or down.

I've owned a huge variety of cars and trucks and SUVs over the years - from my first truck with granny low that probably had a top speed of 10 mph in low low gear, and then the two trucks I had with 4 speeds and 2 speed differentials giving me 8 forward ratios total, cars, trucks, SUVs, 3 speed, 4 speed, 5 speed. Each one was better than another at some things, worse than others at other things.

I'm not like some in this thread who treat those who don't meet THEIR expectations with disdain and dislike and bashing because they can't be REAL men.
If it wasn't for the buyers of the automatics, their precious Jeeps would simply disappear - not enough REAL he-men would be buying them, Jeep would go under or have to totally rely on the Grand Cherokee and Renegade to survive.

Yup - the only true or real bashing I see is coming from certain drivers of the manual JT or JL - it's not from the automatic owners. We're more live and let live (or trying to figure out what's up with the clutch issues in the manual versions of these trucks - not to bash, but what's up with those?
You're right, I have seen it thrown from both sides. It's just a observation that some are so over the top about it.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Well, there are those Max Tow folks who think they've got it going on and those Rubicon folks who think they are number one... But we're all driving a Gladiator and should be proud of it.

Sponsored

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
My 5.13 gears are laughing at you. Anyway... buying a JT for towing is a real wonder in itself.
You are correct here. I hear all of this whining about the MT (which I have and I love) and I have to wonder why would anyone shell out this kind of $$ for a small to mid jeep truck and expect it to also do a bunch of heavy towing? That's not where this vehicle shines. It's for off-roading, navigating bad weather, small loads, etc.
When I want to tow, I pull large loads and I do it with my Ford F-350 one-ton, with the old 7.3 liter powerstroke.
Trucks are not like ball caps (one size fits all). Each has it's specific niche.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Funny, because what I see normally is that "the manual sucks", said a few posts ago, on this thread or "join the 21st century, because it's not 1990, and get the 8 speed", which I read a few days ago on another thread.

I think most manual owners are hoping potential new buyers don't read posts like that, and discount it before trying it. It's one of the last of a near dead breed, and we don't want to see it discontinued because of slow take rates. It's a driving pleasure.

The manual on this platform does tow on par with the non max tow sport models, though. Isn't the regular sport auto rated to tow 4500 lbs, with a payload of 1100 lbs? That's about the same as my manual, at 4500 and 1200.
or trying to figure out what's up with the clutch issues in the manual versions of these trucks - not to bash, but what's up with those?
I think the recall addressed the clutch issues, even if just through software. We didn't get a stronger pressure plate, but the recall does keep people from burning it up, which extends the life. My JT already had the recall done when I bought it, but everyone is entitled to the recall, and they are even replacing clutches of folks who bought before the recall and had issues.

I don't hate on the automatic, but my wife and I prefer stick, so it's great they still make one. The JT wouldn't have even been on my list with no manual. I didn't enjoy the Tacoma as much as the Gladiator, so I'd probably be in a JL, or if that had no stick, we'd on that Bronco waiting list.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You're right, I have seen it thrown from both sides. It's just a observation that some are so over the top about it.
We're on the same page - noticed that with one of your prior posts.
I agree - what the hell is this bashing the choices of others, or saying one is superior to another and "those who chose the other are wimps and clueless".

I fully understand the draw of the stick. As a driver with severe ADHD - I need constant input and have an intense need to "do something" while driving. Shifting does that for me in my Eagle, plus all of the gauges it's got - almost as many as a JT. I love a busy cockpit and doing something while driving, otherwise I tend to not stay alert. I love all the gauges and levers and switches in my 73 and the aircraft inspired cockpit area.

I can go either way with the transmission except for towing. Backing is the issue - most vehicles have a reverse gear that's more suited for MPG in reverse than slow speed maneuvering. Backing down a boat ramp, LOL - piece of cake, that's nuttin. (people should see where I had to back my camper when I had it, or where I have to park my car hauler - talk about backing and maneuvering) bDon't even bring up boat ramps, those are easy. I've talking backing something long into very narrow places and around corners.

There's other reasons I have some vehicles that are automatics - especially our primary vehicle, and the reason I have a full automatic transmission setup including flex plate, torque converter and more for my little Eagle........ (besides knowing that my knees WILL give out due to family history and my bad arthritis ) - my wife is legally restricted to an automatic due to her handicap (something he-men mock or ignore or see as second class people)
She was born with a birth defect that gave her a short right arm with no elbow, and 3 fingers on each hand.
CAN she drive a stick? Man, don't even ask her that unless you want to try out her left hook.
Someone once told her she could never swim - and she promptly showed them. She drove my tractors, my F20 with hand brakes and hard to shift transmission and my Comanche with 5 speed. She drove it all over Iowa. But the law says......... so we must equip our vehicles accordingly. I guess I'm no "he-man" because I consider the NEEDS of other people, often before my own.

Yet in my mind, only a real man thinks of their wife before their own "I'm not a man without a manual transmission" desires. I figure - if something happens to me, and it's likely before anything happens to her - she needs to be able to LEGALLY drive my stuff. My Eagle - that will go to a friend. It can sit until he comes and gets it. (but if my knees or hips give out first, I'll convert it to automatic as she loves that little car)

It's just crazy how some people don't even THINK of the needs or physical conditions of others or anything beyond themselves. Anyone who goes with an automatic is a wimp. Anyone who doesn't instantly put in the deepest gears they can fine - LOL - what wussies.
They should try working in jobs I've had where you get to observe other people who are less than physically perfect - normally through no fault of their own - or via a choice they made (military, etc.), age, whatever.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Yet in my mind, only a real man thinks of their wife before their own "I'm not a man without a manual transmission" desires. I figure - if something happens to me, and it's likely before anything happens to her - she needs to be able to LEGALLY drive my stuff.
I agree with most of what you said, but women can drive stick too... 😊