Sponsored

Why not buy a full size truck for the same price?

Daddiator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Cherokee XJ, 2004 Crossfire, 2006 300 5.7
Occupation
Fabricator/Patternmaker
I’m 6’4” currently in the market for a tent and my understanding is that soft shell RTT’s fold out over the side of the bed, increasing your sleeping length. The unit I have my eyes on is 56” long (front to back) and 96” wide (side to side, opened). That’s plenty of room for us tall guys to be comfortable. Here’s the tent I’m looking at, for around 1600.

https://www.roamadventureco.com/collections/tents/products/the-vagabond
Sponsored

shrinkhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
These are priced like Wranglers not like mid size trucks. That being said I am so happy I switched from the 150 raptor to the gladiator it's not even real. The size is just so much better for all my needs while retaining what made the 150 great for me.

Ray F.

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
To the OPs question: I bought a JT over an F150 simply because it fits my lifestyle.

I’ve owned Jeeps for nearly all my driving years. In order: A CJ5, CJ7 and (2) Scramblers. I’ve owned a Tundra and a Ram, as well. In my personal experience, I’ve used my Jeeps to offroad and my pickups to hunt and haul. The Scrambler hauled, but the rear tire configuration and size of the gate prevented a better utilitarian use. Otherwise, it worked out pretty well for a person that doesn’t depend on their truck to haul heavy or large amounts equipment. And to be honest, the Scrambler community has been clamoring for a new version for a decade.

I traded in my Ram for the JT last September and haven’t found one utilitarian need lacking. It’s brought home sheets of plywood, 2x4s, bales of hay and hauled all of the random stuff I’ve ever required from my previous pickup.

Is it a full size pickup? No. Do I need one? No. Chances are, if you’re a person that has a tonneau cover on your full size pickup, you probably don’t need a full size puckup, either. The JT is a niche market: A consumer that loves Jeeps and occasionally has a need to haul stuff.

So, why not buy an F150? Because I can’t drop the top and yank the doors on an F150 and see my family get excited about a ride. Because the F150 doesn’t come trail-ready with lockers. Because I randomly take personal exception with some of Ford’s engineering choices. Because the Gladiator feels tailor-made for me.

Life is about choices. I appreciate the option of a Jeep pickup and absolutely love mine. I hope F150 owners feel the same way about theirs.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
well they havent arrived yet but i was able to price up a stock rubicon & its $5000 more than a ram so i think the lure of the hemi will win me over

cbl1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass Limited, Audi Q8
Your needs - pick the truck that fits to you. I personally don't need a hemi.

I looked at Ram Rebel when shopped - as love that truck. But actually found it too big for my needs and not having the fun factor looking for in a lifestyle vehicle like Jeep. But love the truck and love the Hemi but don't have the need.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RIPLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2015 Jeep Renegade
My last 4 vehicles were full sized pick ups 2012 Nissan Titan, 2014 RAM 1500 Sport, 2017 Nissan Titan PRO 4X, and a 2018 Nissan Titan PRO 4X. The 2017 Titan was a lemon and it was replaced with a 2018. I traded the 2018 Titan in on the Gladiator and don't miss the full sized truck. I've had at least 15 different vehicles in my life and the Gladiator is the only one that I have ever gotten in to drive with nowhere to go.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Size matters... And sometimes bigger isnt always better.. I could get to some of my favorite fishing spots in a subaru forrester, that I could not get to in my F150 just because of the extra width. If in your wide open country then its probably a wash, but when your running overgrown old logging roads narrower is normally better.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
I am still trying to figure this out. I am on my 5th Wrangler and I get the fun of top off and doors off and wheeling. I live in Colorado, one of the best off road places around! My last truck was a JLU Rubicon. I was very interested in the JT, particularly when I heard about the towing capacity. But as I do my price shopping I have hit the wall. Basing pricing assumptions on the JL gets us pretty close to guess what this truck will sell for. Optioned well it just isn't gonna be less than 50k, and probably several thousand more. A Sahara optioned well is north of $52,000.

And yet, the new redesigned half ton full size trucks with much more capability from the big three are all about the same price, or even cheaper, including the off road equipped with factory 2" suspension lift trucks like the 2019 Silverado which I just "build and priced" at around $56k MSRP. I am not thrilled about a full size truck as a daily driver, its hard to park, costly to insure, poor visibility etc. But after looking around I am fast losing interest in the JT. Maybe I will buy a used JL for the DD and the full size truck for towing. much as I hated the idea of buying two new vehicles. (I have an '01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L (yes, 8.1!) that gets around 7 mpg towing a 5000 lb trailer).

Help me out boys and girls, I just don't get Jeep's justifying the pricing of these. They are mid-sized trucks priced like full size in my view.
You can't take the top off a full size or any other truck. Jeeps are always a premium but if you look at all the Jeep stuff you get as a base on the Jeep. If you added the Jeep 4 wheel system with things like the heavy duty Dana front and back (no other truck has that). Yes you are paying a premium but you are getting a premium. You get what you pay for. Most any other truck is going to need add on stuff to bring it up to what you start with on the Jeep.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps are always a premium but if you look at all the Jeep stuff you get as a base on the Jeep.
This is quite accurate.

With the current pricing the JT isnt a premium over comparably equipped mid sized trucks from any other manufacturers.

A while back I did a "build & price" for 4 door 4 wheel drive JT, Ranger, Colorado & Tacoma keeping the options as close as possible & they were all within about 500 bucks of each other. Its not a premium on the JT, its just a higher starting point as they are ALL 4 wheel drive & 4 door.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
This is quite accurate.

With the current pricing the JT isnt a premium over comparably equipped mid sized trucks from any other manufacturers.

A while back I did a "build & price" for 4 door 4 wheel drive JT, Ranger, Colorado & Tacoma keeping the options as close as possible & they were all within about 500 bucks of each other. Its not a premium on the JT, its just a higher starting point as they are ALL 4 wheel drive & 4 door.
And for me it still come down to one big point, I can to topless, doorless, and windshieldless. Do that with your Toyota, GMC, Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Dodge.

Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
Well that ain't factory and I know it didn't cost less than my Gladiator? I'm still seeing doors and windshield.

sarcasm

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I did not even consider a full sized truck. The competition for me was other Mid size trucks. There is a use case for a full size truck but not for me. As long as I can load a full size sheet of plywood I am good to go.

Modern full sized are huge. Even the Gladiator is not a small truck. My wife has a Wrangler unlimited and will not take the Gladiator to work cause it is too big for her to comfortably navigate the parking deck. I have a buddy that is trying to swap out is new GMC for another Tundra case he can't see over the hood to park and trailer it. (Something a test drive should have told him)

They were trying to move the 2019 RAMS when I picked up my 2020 Gladiator and the prices were actually not that far apart for similar spec but I just did not want a full size truck.

And...convertible.