Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I'm interested in your thoughts on coilovers for the JT. I have been toying with the idea of doing a recon coilover kit, but everyone drinking the coilover koolaid is telling me that it is the best thing ever...others are saying, it is way over kill unless you are racing or doing very advanced stuff, and at 12k installed, I'm hoping someone can talk me out of doing the coilover setup.
I'm going to drive mine and use it for work/camping, so coilovers are a no go for me. For tuning you can't beat the coilovers, but they do have parts that wear out and need attention more often than coils and separate shocks.

I want to enjoy my truck and not have an expensive high maintenance machine. I'm in the business, so last thing I want is working at the shop on my weekends. Just downsized my fleet by 34 tires to avoid it!
Sponsored

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a small lift for my JT (2" to 3"). I've read great reviews on the Mopar lift kit on the forum, but just as many of you are happy with a 3rd party lift too. This is my first Jeep, so the the idea of having a lift that is covered by a Jeep warranty has me leaning to the Mopar lift. My JT is my daily driver and living in the midwest I'm more worried about getting through a snow storm than rock crawling.

Looking for some feedback on why you chose one lift package vs another? Any kits you think I should completely steer clear of?
MOPAR

SoCalGladiator

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Pumpkin Orange
I'm going to drive mine and use it for work/camping, so coilovers are a no go for me. For tuning you can't beat the coilovers, but they do have parts that wear out and need attention more often than coils and separate shocks.

I want to enjoy my truck and not have an expensive high maintenance machine. I'm in the business, so last thing I want is working at the shop on my weekends. Just downsized my fleet by 34 tires to avoid it!
That's what I'm trying to understand. When you say use your truck for work and camping so no coilovers, why is that?

So is there more maintenance and maintenance costs with coilovers?

I'm starting to lean toward metalcload 3.5 inch game changer. I don't want to drop 12k on coilovers

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Nice JT. Good for you and good choice. Mopar is a solid lift for most drivers looking at a 2" lift. It’s also a great lift for the money and can be purchased for under $1200, just search around. Many off-road enthusiasts have reviewed and recommended the Mopar lift. Look over on other Jeep forums, overwhelming good reviews. Other 3rd party lift manufacturers have had problems…corrosion, durability and fit issues, so they’re not perfect by any means. The Mopar lift can be bolted on in your driveway over the weekend and it's maintenance free, unlike other 3rd party lifts. It should last the lifetime of the Jeep with the exception of the shocks, but that’s a given with any shock. Just my 0.2.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a small lift for my JT (2" to 3"). I've read great reviews on the Mopar lift kit on the forum, but just as many of you are happy with a 3rd party lift too. This is my first Jeep, so the the idea of having a lift that is covered by a Jeep warranty has me leaning to the Mopar lift. My JT is my daily driver and living in the midwest I'm more worried about getting through a snow storm than rock crawling.

Looking for some feedback on why you chose one lift package vs another? Any kits you think I should completely steer clear of?
I have the 2" Mopar lift for Diesel and Happy as Hell! The other lifts can claim you get a Warranty with their lift but it is Their warranty Not Jeeps and may not cover damage done to other parts!

Bulldog10

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Sarge Green Diesel
Occupation
Retired Helicopter Pilot, FAA ATC, Retired Gentleman Farmer Trying to Survive Divorce!
Vehicle Showcase
Another ... "Magnuson-Moss Act" comment to justify aftermarket lift kits.

YES, your aftermarket lift kit isn't supposed to void your warranty if your seat heaters stop working. BUT, it can and will void your warranty on all those parts you replaced and any other parts that could be affected by those changes. So pretty much anything under your Jeep and some of the items in your engine bay could be affected.

For example, you buy a lift and put on 37" tires, they could come back and say that the lift and tires put extraordinary stresses on your transmission, driveline and engine. Those parts you added caused a failure in your engine or transmission that is not covered. Now tell them all about the "Magnusson-Moss Act" and see what happens.... "OH, sorry Sir/Miss... You're right, we are definitely gonna fix that for you now under warranty because you said that." NOPE!

Like the recent thread we all read about a voided warranty on a new Jeep that went in mud.... you will NOT win when trying to fight against Jeep's corporate lawyers and their money.

I bought my Jeep at a dealer and had the same dealer install the Mopar lift. I was told... "We will warranty everything installed because you bought the vehicle from us, and had us professionally install your Jeep manufactured lift kit. The extended warranty you purchased from us will also cover these Jeep manufactured and dealer installed parts.

But they also said... "If you take it to another dealer or out of state... all bets are off, the warranty is with this dealership only."

Is my lift the BEST.... nope, but its the only one covered by my dealership and factory warranty so thats why I, and many others choose it, instead of going with probably better performing aftermarket kits.

Im not saying anything is wrong with the millions of aftermarket parts, thousands of jeep owners do it every day. Just understand when you change ANYTHING from factory, you are now taking the responsibility of those parts and any others that could be affected.
The dealer is talking about 0 Deductible and Paying up to $100 at a Different Dealer. THEY ALL will cover You!

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
Took my JT into a friend's alignment shop after installing Mopar lift just for S&Gs. Measurements fell within Mopar's target specs. He adjusted toe-in to 1/8” in, but camber and caster were good. Camber target -0.25° +/- 0.37°, after lift is L -0.4°, R -0.38°. Caster target 4.80° +/- 1.00°, after lift is L 4.8, R 4.75°. With 35" tires at 33psi it rides like a champ. Heading to Moab later in the year.

Only complaint...I now have the Jeep lean :(

Last edited:

StingyJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Nice JT. Good for you and good choice. Mopar is a solid lift for most drivers looking at a 2" lift. It’s also a great lift for the money and can be purchased for under $1200, just search around. Many off-road enthusiasts have reviewed and recommended the Mopar lift. Look over on other Jeep forums, overwhelming good reviews. Other 3rd party lift manufacturers have had problems…corrosion, durability and fit issues, so they’re not perfect by any means. The Mopar lift can be bolted on in your driveway over the weekend and it's maintenance free, unlike other 3rd party lifts. It should last the lifetime of the Jeep with the exception of the shocks, but that’s a given with any shock. Just my 0.2.
Well said. Didn’t hold me back running with many Wranglers in Moab on Hells Revenge, Poison Spider, or Metal Masher.

16931FD9-CC21-45D3-84C7-226AEA24479B.jpeg

Sponsored

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red JT
...Didn’t hold me back running with many Wranglers in Moab on Hells Revenge, Poison Spider, or Metal Masher...
I'm heading to Moab for the Jeep Jamboree in Oct. I'm running 35's with the lift. Think it will do OK on those trails, or will I be be taking a lot of bypasses? I don't plan on trying The Escalator, Hell's Gate or The Devil's Hot Tub.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I suppose I trust the people who design and build the truck to understand the correct way to lift it.

$1200 , you can't sell me someone else lift cheap enough to consider it and I don't give 2 drops of piss about the "warranty"

StingyJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I'm heading to Moab for the Jeep Jamboree in Oct. I'm running 35's with the lift. Think it will do OK on those trails, or will I be be taking a lot of bypasses? I don't plan on trying The Escalator, Hell's Gate or The Devil's Hot Tub.
You should be generally fine. Depends on what you call a bypass. Example, Metal masher has some serious level 7-9 obstacles (Widow Maker is one) that only seriously built rigs or dedicated crawlers do and that you bypass. Even Fins and Things has a few lines that I wouldn’t take due to departure angle, but I didn’t bypass any obstacles there.
Steel Bender has one big drop that the JT departure angle will suffer on. I bet you’ll come away from the trip wanting 37s. Being in Utah, I’ve wheeled on both 35s and 37s there with my JT. It’s a step change improvement with 37s and regeared.
Sponsored