Sponsored

Will there be a 392 Gladiator? If not.........

Gymguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hydro Blue Unlimited Rubicon
Completely agree with that. I hope the diesel proves to be as reliable as it has been for the owners on this forum. It will be hard to beat if it holds up.
Sponsored

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
If Jeep makes a 392 version of either the Rubicon or Mojave JT I will buy one. If not, then my next truck will be a Ram TRX. I really like the JT vehicle platform, but I like big V8 power even better, and would switch platforms to get it.
The TRX cost over $90000 US to bring home with most of the additions.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
None of that makes any sense at all.

I'd say there is 50% chance they V8 a JT
If they do it will (like the Wrangler) start at or above $70K making the vehicle not even close to cost competetive.

The 3.6 isn't going anywhere, and is perfectly adequate for 95%+ of the users.

This whole 392 is a bunch of day dreaming for most people, the diesel costs less, is lighter and makes more torque than the 392. If "more powah" is the thing , buy the diesel.
Its true, the 392 is a lot more expensive than the EcoDiesel, but I don't think your statements about power and weight are accurate. Based on what I'll admit is a pretty superficial google search:

The 3.0 EcoDiesel in the Jeep JL and JT makes 260 HP, and 442 lb/ft of torque.
The 392 in the Jeep JL makes 470 HP, and 470 lb/ft of torque.

The EcoDiesel weighs about 400 pounds more than the 3.6
The 392 weighs about 140 pounds more than the 3.6

EDIT: see my next post (Post #22) for more accurate info on engine weights. Thanks!

Last edited:

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Its true, the 392 is a lot more expensive than the EcoDiesel, but I don't think your statements about power and weight are accurate. Based on what I'll admit is a pretty superficial google search:

If I've got this wrong let me know. Thanks!
i took him meaning area under the curve For the tq. The diesel isnt lighter, though. The 392 is cool. Im just not sure why its such an expensive option box to check for a motor design thats been in production for as long as it has and is as ubiquitous as it is. But maybe its axles/trans/blahblah.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR

Yes, I was thinking about the truck engine, not the car engine which is 410/429 not 470/470

I'll need to see the final weights as built for the 3.0 and 6.4 , but I'll be very surprised if the 6.4 comes in lighter than the 3.0. Jeep site won't let me build one so for now I'm guessing. Is the 6.4 car engine aluminum block?

I have a 6.4 in my 2016 2500, I have a 2021 Power Wagon on order, they are great engines (truck), and the 6.4 would likely be loads of fun in a small vehicle like a JT or JL, I'm not diminishing that. However, the notion that the 6.4 will replace the 3.6 entirely, or even constitute a significant portion of their sales is absurd, it won't happen.

Personally I'm not interested in either (the diesel or 6.4), diesel because I refuse to buy anything with Tier IV emissions controls on it, as well as the relatively tragic reliability history of that engine family. The 6.4 simply doesn't do anything I need it to do that the 3.6 doesn't, I'm sort of old and have made enough trips to the emergency room to have at this point quit doing much of the stupid shit that the 6.4 enables.

All of that said, I hope they do make the JT in a 6.4 because people want it, I'm not those people but I don't expect FCA to build vehicles along my guidelines.

Sponsored

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
I debated waiting for the Hemi version to appear before deciding, but I’ve been waiting since May 2019 already. I drove the very first 3.6 Rubi that showed up in town and knew spending $45-$50k on a V6 gasser wasn’t going to satisfy me. I’ve been driving a Duramax for 6 years, so the torque of a diesel is in my skin.

I finally drove a diesel Rubi (again, the first one in town) and I knew I made the right choice. 5 days later I inked a deal to order, and dropped $55k plus taxes.

I couldn’t stomach waiting another 18 months AND spending $75-$85k.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Yes, I was thinking about the truck engine, not the car engine which is 410/429 not 470/470

I'll need to see the final weights as built for the 3.0 and 6.4 , but I'll be very surprised if the 6.4 comes in lighter than the 3.0. Jeep site won't let me build one so for now I'm guessing. Is the 6.4 car engine aluminum block?

I have a 6.4 in my 2016 2500, I have a 2021 Power Wagon on order, they are great engines (truck), and the 6.4 would likely be loads of fun in a small vehicle like a JT or JL, I'm not diminishing that. However, the notion that the 6.4 will replace the 3.6 entirely, or even constitute a significant portion of their sales is absurd, it won't happen.

Personally I'm not interested in either (the diesel or 6.4), diesel because I refuse to buy anything with Tier IV emissions controls on it, as well as the relatively tragic reliability history of that engine family. The 6.4 simply doesn't do anything I need it to do that the 3.6 doesn't, I'm sort of old and have made enough trips to the emergency room to have at this point quit doing much of the stupid shit that the 6.4 enables.

All of that said, I hope they do make the JT in a 6.4 because people want it, I'm not those people but I don't expect FCA to build vehicles along my guidelines.
The engine weights are proving tricky to nail down, and I think I was off in my previous post. I have read in multiple reviews that the total weight of an EcoDiesel Jeep is ~400 pounds more than one with the 3.6 Pentastar. However, when I dig into engine weights this is what I found:

3.6 Pentastar: 326 pounds https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15352981/chrysler-reveals-major-revisions-to-pentastar-v-6/

6.4 (392) cast iron block: 500 pounds https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=183

3.0 EcoDiesel: 505 pounds https://www.dieselhub.com/halfton/ecodiesel.html

So it looks like - if you just look at the engines - both the Hemi and the EcoDiesel weigh ~175 pounds more than the Pentastar. Perhaps all the extra emissions systems that come with the EcoDiesel like the DPF tank, etc. add another ~200 pounds so that the total weight of the diesel Jeep is ~400 pounds more than a Pentastar? I don't know. Maybe some of the extra weight in the diesel Jeep is in beefed up components? Did they reinforce the frame for the diesel the way they do for the Mojave and the 392 JL?

Last edited:

Whitejeeptj

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 2013 F150 FX4, Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
MRI tech
I drove the 3.6 in a sport and promptly ordered a diesel back in July. The 3.6 did have some pep in stock form, but it had to drive up the rpms to get there. My plans were 37's and NO regear....so diesel it was. I could not be happier with it at this point, she handles the 37's with ease.

WillieFlo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2016 GMC Yukon Denali
Occupation
Project Management Director
To All,

This is my first post on this forum, and I came here specifically to find out more about this very topic of having a 392 in the Gladiator, as well as to research more on everyone's experiences with the Gladiator platform. Just after my wife and I got married back in 2006, I was "forced" to sell my heavily modded 2004 2-door Rubicon for a more practical vehicle(Full-sized, crew cab 4x4 because honeymoon in Maui yielded offspring). These days, I drive a well-modded 2018 Raptor, but have very much been interested in going back to a Jeep, ever since I saw the AEV Brutes being produced. I love my Raptor, but I've been hell bent on getting a Gladiator ever since I heard that Jeep was going to start producing. The only thing that's been holding me back is the lack of power for me........BUT, put a 392 Hemi in the thing, and consider my money down soon after!!!

My parents have a 2017 Unlimited with the Polar/Arctic package that they love, and my 10-yr old little girl already told me she wants a Jeep Wrangler when she goes to college, so they kind of run in my family......

Last edited:

jfhull71

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, Gator Sport S
Occupation
Millwright
Agreed. I am pretty frustrated that instead of making the 5.7 available with a reasonable up-charge over the 3.6, Jeep is focused on a premium V8 option that is going to be really expensive. Following the logic of other brands, a 5.7 Gladiator should be priced above the 3.6 and below the 3.0 eco-diesel. I know that there are some diesel die-hards in the crowd, but with all the issues that modern diesels now have, I don't think most folks want to deal with a diesel. On the other hand, I think the market for a reasonably priced 5.7 gladiator would be significant. I would buy one today (literally, today). I don't need the 392, or a Hellcat, or even the 6.4...
I believe they keep the V8 limited in volume to prevent killing the corporate CAFE average with the government. Get the hype of having that high dollar v8 gets people in the showroom and many will settle for the pentastar... marketing 101.

Sponsored

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Where do you get this information from? Per the spec sheet the 3.0l is only 171 pounds more than the 3.6 on the Rubio. The other spec sheets weigh more but there are obvious suspension changes included in that.

Josh00333

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Freedom
Build Thread
Link
Ya we are on the same page, 179ish in difference. đź‘Ť

The engine weights are proving tricky to nail down, and I think I was off in my previous post. I have read in multiple reviews that the total weight of an EcoDiesel Jeep is ~400 pounds more than one with the 3.6 Pentastar. However, when I dig into engine weights this is what I found:

3.6 Pentastar: 326 pounds https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a15352981/chrysler-reveals-major-revisions-to-pentastar-v-6/

6.4 (392) cast iron block: 500 pounds https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=183

3.0 EcoDiesel: 505 pounds https://www.dieselhub.com/halfton/ecodiesel.html

So it looks like - if you just look at the engines - both the Hemi and the EcoDiesel weigh ~175 pounds more than the Pentastar. Perhaps all the extra emissions systems that come with the EcoDiesel like the DPF tank, etc. add another ~200 pounds so that the total weight of the diesel Jeep is ~400 pounds more than a Pentastar? I don't know. Maybe some of the extra weight in the diesel Jeep is in beefed up components? Did they reinforce the frame for the diesel the way they do for the Mojave and the 392 JL?

Deleted member 30519

I don't think you guys realize how much they would loose in sales on the ram if they dropped even a 5.7 in the JT. The Gladiator is by far the cooler truck so given the fact that 90% of ram drivers are just posers they would jump right over to the JT in a heartbeat. The decision maker in this would be more JTs in the dealerships for repairs from idiots racing and doing dumb crap with the high horsepower mid size off road machine. I don't think they want that headache.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
No doubt and I wouldn't argue any of that.

The notion that a V8, any V8 replace the V6 across the fleet however is absurd. Cost is already a universal complaint and adding cost across the board would be shooting themselves in both feet
It may be absurd... but just for a moment - think about the 4.0 V8 used in vw/audi products. Why can't jeep sort out a small, efficient, torquey, moderately powerful V8 that solves the 3.6's deficiencies. Heck add 2 cylinders to the 3.6 architecture. I know its not as easy as that but its also not as hard as it used to be. No one "needs" (hehehe) a TRX Gladiator. That is what the TRX is for. And if you want a full size Gladiator buy a Powerwagon. What a LOT of people need (now, and in the future) is a more capable mid size truck because when they start selling badge engineered Gladiators as Durango's I am pretty confident the Durango crowd is going to have a lot less tolerance for so-so towing and shitty mileage.

Stay with me... think about what it would be like to have a lightweight, 3.5-4.6L aluminum v8, 330ft/lbs, 350hp relatively low revving v8 ina Gladiator as a $2500 upcharge. Offer the CNG changeover hardware like Ford for fleets and make it available with both tyhe 8sp and a beefed up manual (Jeep if you are listening please please please make it backwards compatible so I can get my warranty issue resolved through hardware rather than software) and then Jeep and Dodge would OWN the midsize truck market. They'd be making the only midsize platform that comfortably tows its max capacity, with engines ranging from contractor duty v6 to v8 power to fuel efficient diesel to the 4xe powertrain that merely swaps batteries and a motor in front of a standard(ish) driveline. With 2 body styles (JT and Durango)! Assuming they don't do something stupidly expensive like give the durango an IFS you would have everything from a mall crawler toy to a lifestyle vehicle to an honestly strong work truck in one platform. It would be unbeatable. Of course...

Ford will compete by offering a 3cyl, supercharged and turbocharged 400hp 1.5L screamer in the next gen Rangerette Sport Mach-E EcoSport Sasquatch. Ford bros will tout the numbers on paper and be happy with all the screens, cameras and knobs to steer in reverse. Ford will update this feature midcyle with off road modes for backing down the trail and will make stupid TV spots featuring females who love this feature. Cause you know, guys don't need it... 🙄

Toyota will offer a Taco with a stronger v6 that they trust. Something they are familiar with that is reliable and has been tested elsewhere in their their parts bin - like the supercharged v6 Previa. Maybe they will introduce direct injection. Taco bros will reliably cite the reliability factor. They won't mention frames, technology or tires larger than 35inches. Tacos will also gain 1 inch of interior roof height. Maybe.

Chevy will compete by bringing back a dated engine architecture but with a twist. Like an inline 5cyl diesel. Chevy will offer a 10sp Allison automatic. Chevy bros will ... be confused. But they'll buy the marketing pitch as soon as they see it in the NASCAR truck series. AEV will make an expensive monster out of it. Magazines will swoon.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Give me a modern tech twin-turbo straight 6 over a V8.
Lightweight, Power, AND Economy (if you can keep yer foot out of the go pedal).
Wasn't the 2.0L supposed to be the platform that a ~3.0L straight 6 was to be made? I guess they are on the 'lectrification wagon now :kicks dirt:
Sponsored