Sponsored

Will this combo do for Redarc install in JT?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I have searched all evening - I have read more posts, scanned more pages of posts and searched many times and although there's a ton of info here, it's scattered among dozens of threads, hundreds of posts.

I want to install in the "factory location" - that's a joke since they never actually had any installed - in short, where the 12v outlet is. I'll move that to a different location since I likely won't use it.

I've gleaned some numbers from hours of reading and looking and think I have the combo for what I want -

Controller -
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-elite-electric-brake-controller

Harness (HOPEFULLY with diode)
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-brake-controller-harness-to-suit-dodge-ram

And what I call a "bezel" to fill the gap between controller knob and 12v socket hole since that hole is large
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/switch-insert-to-suit-gmc-isuzu

I did not find any post showing the diode placement or direction, etc. so would need that if the harness above doesn't include it. I have diodes of all sorts so that's not an issue. I've made circuits to adapt an OEM AMC cruise control switch work with a Jeep cruise control system in the PCM - so not worried about a little minor wiring if needed. (that was a fun one to figure out as the controls between the two cruise systems were totally reversed and in different combinations)

Are those links above the correct parts to use a Redarc controller with a JT or is more needed?
Is that the correct harness?
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Cool, then I'll order. I'm done waiting for FCA to finally fulfill their promise, and I need to see if this truck will REALLY pull my car on trailer.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have not yet used the 12v outlet - I've been trying to think of something I have or might get that would use it - and I can't. Everything is USB oriented these days. And if I change my mind later, I had thought about simply relocating the 12volt outlet to a different spot, hidden, up under, in, whatever, so it's still there if later I find a reason or use, but out of the way for now - not gone, just somewhere else.
The "factory location" for the trailer brake controller knob is ideal - right where I'd be able to see it, and reach it in event there was a need to hit trailer brakes, or can watch as I adjust. I can't see reaching down where I can't easily see something. time is critical when you get into trouble with sway, bad roads causing trailer issues, whatever.
I read dozens, perhaps up to 100, posts about the wiring, the switching of the blue and black if using this or that harness, the need for a diode since FCA didn't put one in the factory harness provided to connect into.

Not sure why they didn't, and we'll likely never know....... but having talked to factory electrical engineers in the past, it's often left up to an individual engineer how things are done if there are two ways to do something. Engineer decides. If he/she quits and another takes their place, then that could change. A factory electrical engineer actually told me that. A design engineer told me similar. Often things are decided by one person, or were in the past, anyway.

Anyway, assuming this harness has the needed diode, that cuts my efforts. If it needs one, no problem, I've got a drawer of military surplus and salvaged diodes to use.

Sponsored

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
I used the Ram harness, just flipped the black and blue wires, I didn't know about the diode but jwilson said it is in that harness. Check with @jwilson2899 about the tool for removing the cigarette lighter from the dash. You said you read all the threads so I'm sure you know about it. It will save you a major headache.
You can route the 12v socket over to behind the passenger side dash and pull it there by removing the glove compartment door and be able to get to it for something else latter. I plugged my dash cam in it.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I used the Ram harness, just flipped the black and blue wires, I didn't know about the diode but jwilson said it is in that harness. Check with @jwilson2899 about the tool for removing the cigarette lighter from the dash. You said you read all the threads so I'm sure you know about it. It will save you a major headache.
You can route the 12v socket over to behind the passenger side dash and pull it there by removing the glove compartment door and be able to get to it for something else latter. I plugged my dash cam in it.
Thanks, yeah, I saw the bit about the tool. That was a good video, helpful.
I usually make that sort of thing from my stashes of aluminum stock but for 14 bucks, is it worth it ? HA, likley not. Plus there's a spare socket in the package I can add to my stash of spare parts (although I'm starting to give some stuff away - ran out of room)

I was hoping I could run that 12v socket over that direction for access later if wanted or needed. Thanks - good tip.

I have the socket tool in my Amazon list along with a couple of other things to order later this weekend.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Yes, I have searched all evening - I have read more posts, scanned more pages of posts and searched many times and although there's a ton of info here, it's scattered among dozens of threads, hundreds of posts.

I want to install in the "factory location" - that's a joke since they never actually had any installed - in short, where the 12v outlet is. I'll move that to a different location since I likely won't use it.

I've gleaned some numbers from hours of reading and looking and think I have the combo for what I want -

Controller -
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-elite-electric-brake-controller

Harness (HOPEFULLY with diode)
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-brake-controller-harness-to-suit-dodge-ram

And what I call a "bezel" to fill the gap between controller knob and 12v socket hole since that hole is large

I did not find any post showing the diode placement or direction, etc. so would need that if the harness above doesn't include it. I have diodes of all sorts so that's not an issue. I've made circuits to adapt an OEM AMC cruise control switch work with a Jeep cruise control system in the PCM - so not worried about a little minor wiring if needed. (that was a fun one to figure out as the controls between the two cruise systems were totally reversed and in different combinations)

Are those links above the correct parts to use a Redarc controller with a JT or is more needed?
Is that the correct harness?

According to an email from Redarc after I ordered the harness for the Jeep Grand Cherokee par 001 I think actually is for the gladiator. They linked me to a video where somebody used it.

I had already ordered the Ram on though and swapped it. It has worked just fine for me that way.

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I don’t have a diode, but I would call REDarc directly about installing the diode. They walked me through checking mine When I was having issues with my TT. I talked to two different guys, both super knowledgeable, super patient and extremely nice. Honestly, I remember thinking I haven’t had that pleasant of a customer service experience like ever.

Keep in mind they are in Australia, so I was usually talking to them early evening around 7pm, which is early morning for them.

Their toll free number is+1 (704) 247-5150

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have a diode, but I would call REDarc directly about installing the diode. They walked me through checking mine When I was having issues with my TT. I talked to two different guys, both super knowledgeable, super patient and extremely nice. Honestly, I remember thinking I haven’t had that pleasant of a customer service experience like ever.

Keep in mind they are in Australia, so I was usually talking to them early evening around 7pm, which is early morning for them.

Their toll free number is+1 (704) 247-5150
Those guys are top notch for sure. I emailed them asking about the Red logo knob they have on the Australian controllers and if there was a way I could buy one for mine. Instead they mailed me 2 for free on their dime.
I have their BMS/RedVision system in my Patriot Campers trailer and it is excellent as well.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering if Redarc would have it specifically for the gladiator by now.

Better make sure @ShadowsPapa !
I sent them a message letting them know what I was planning- and asked about the harness specifically, and if there was one for the JT yet. We'll see.........

Reactions: aai

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
They seriously are amazing with their support. Emailed them before about waterproofing scenarios. Doorless rain has already happened, im sure topless will at some point. He actually went through the components on what should work since they don't have a true IP rating.

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If your using the 12V port location definitely buy the tool. Took me all of 15 minutes to install my unit. The tool takes a 2 hour job of tearing the dash apart to a 5 minute removal.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If your using the 12V port location definitely buy the tool. Took me all of 15 minutes to install my unit. The tool takes a 2 hour job of tearing the dash apart to a 5 minute removal.
Yeah, I was going to make one but in the time it takes to do that, I can make twice that much money on a restoration job so it's not worth it these days. I've got it coming via Amazon.

Now, the next question -
I got a great long reply from Redarc.
He recommended the TPH-001 harness. He said they work fine as they are but...
>>I would suggest the TPH-001 harness will work, however it must be noted that when you press the override button on the brake controller, the brake lights will not be illuminated.
This is only a law that is upheld in the state of California <<

and I would prefer they DID light when I push that button, but it's not a show stopper.
Apparently the TPH-001 is a direct plug-in with no wire swap.

My question for the group -
Does the TPH-001, which is for the 2014-2020 Cherokee (and I assume Grand Cherokee) have the diode??????????????????????/

The TPH-020 does, you have to switch blue and black wires. That's no big deal at all.
With the TPH-020 will the brake lights on the trailer fire with pushing the button???

Does the TPH-001 Cherokee harness have the diode.

It will not fire the trailer brake lights with the push of a button.

He also suggested the adapter/bezel -
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-universal-mount

But it seems to me this one would work in the 12v outlet position in the JT -
Sponsored