Sponsored

Will this combo do for Redarc install in JT?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
The TPH-020 does, you have to switch blue and black wires. That's no big deal at all.
With the TPH-020 will the brake lights on the trailer fire with pushing the button???

He also suggested the adapter/bezel -
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-universal-mount

But it seems to me this one would work in the 12v outlet position in the JT -
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/switch-insert-to-suit-gmc-isuzu
I will have my son press the button today and get back to you on this one, honestly never tested it.

I went with the insert. Install was easier since you just use a hole saw and click vs two holes. Also does look a lot better. Also seemed to work better on the slope I installed mine on. I think that round one is the one several other members on this forum have used
Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I will have my son press the button today and get back to you on this one, honestly never tested it.

I went with the insert. Install was easier since you just use a hole saw and click vs two holes. Also does look a lot better. Also seemed to work better on the slope I installed mine on. I think that round one is the one several other members on this forum have used
Thanks for checking.

And I think the round one is what I've seen posted at least a couple of times by members who used the 12v socket location.
But I don't feel like looking over 200 posts again to try to find the photos LOL.
Gotta get back out to the shop - a guy needs his heater motor back as soon as I can get it done.......

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
You want the round one, you've seen pictures here of it in the 12v hole. I don't believe the square one works. I remember someone on this forum saying that and he had to reorder the round.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You want the round one, you've seen pictures here of it in the 12v hole. I don't believe the square one works. I remember someone on this forum saying that and he had to reorder the round.
That sounds familiar, and that's what I had picked out to order.

Now to just figure out which harness. Redarc support suggested the Cherokee one but it doesn't run the brake likes when the button is used.
The RAM one needs wires switched, but will it work the brake lights when the button is pushed?
Makes me think maybe the Cherokee one doesn't have a diode?

I was pretty set on which to order until he responded LOL.

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I was going to make one but in the time it takes to do that, I can make twice that much money on a restoration job so it's not worth it these days. I've got it coming via Amazon.

Now, the next question -
I got a great long reply from Redarc.
He recommended the TPH-001 harness. He said they work fine as they are but...
>>I would suggest the TPH-001 harness will work, however it must be noted that when you press the override button on the brake controller, the brake lights will not be illuminated.
This is only a law that is upheld in the state of California <<

and I would prefer they DID light when I push that button, but it's not a show stopper.
Apparently the TPH-001 is a direct plug-in with no wire swap.

My question for the group -
Does the TPH-001, which is for the 2014-2020 Cherokee (and I assume Grand Cherokee) have the diode??????????????????????/

The TPH-020 does, you have to switch blue and black wires. That's no big deal at all.
With the TPH-020 will the brake lights on the trailer fire with pushing the button???

Does the TPH-001 Cherokee harness have the diode.

It will not fire the trailer brake lights with the push of a button.

He also suggested the adapter/bezel -
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-universal-mount

But it seems to me this one would work in the 12v outlet position in the JT -
https://redarcelectronics.com/products/switch-insert-to-suit-gmc-isuzu
For the bezel, definitely use the round one, the one he suggested is more of a universal fit and would look weird on the dash. I also don't think it's big enough to fill/cover the 12v outlet.

For the harness I believe the trailer lights won't fire on any of them with the diode. The reason is that signal that would normally be sent down the brake light wire is blocked by the diode. This is needed to keep the computer form freaking out when it sees unexpected voltage on that line. They do make kits you can add at the hitch connector which will always fire the trailer lights by catching a 12V signal being sent to the brakes and activating them. The Tekonsha one I saw was like $70 and since it's a very infrequently used item, I did forgo it. In CA, I believe they are required (shocker).

I have not used or seen the TPH-001 in person so I can't speak to the diode on it, but I did shoot out the TPH-020 with my multimeter last year and confirmed it did have the diode.

Reactions: KVJ
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For the bezel, definitely use the round one, the one he suggested is more of a universal fit and would look weird on the dash. I also don't think it's big enough to fill/cover the 12v outlet.

For the harness I believe the trailer lights won't fire on any of them with the diode. The reason is that signal that would normally be sent down the brake light wire is blocked by the diode. This is needed to keep the computer form freaking out when it sees unexpected voltage on that line. They do make kits you can add at the hitch connector which will always fire the trailer lights by catching a 12V signal being sent to the brakes and activating them. The Tekonsha one I saw was like $70 and since it's a very infrequently used item, I did forgo it. In CA, I believe they are required (shocker).

I have not used or seen the TPH-001 in person so I can't speak to the diode on it, but I did shoot out the TPH-020 with my multimeter last year and confirmed it did have the diode.
I'm about to send in the order - and the round bezel is the one I'll get, the controller is a no-brainer, he sent me the owner manual in PDF - looks great to me.
The harness - makes me think that the Jeep harness, the TPH-001 would work as is and if it won't fire the trailer lights it must mean there's a diode there as the RED wire is brake light signal.

Here is what REDARC sent me in their email response -
----------------
Our TPH-001 harness we list to fit Cherokee’s 14 – 19 we have confirmed it works with 2020 Gladiators.

https://redarcelectronics.com/products/tow-pro-brake-controller-harness-to-suit-jeep-tph-001

Please check out the Trail Benders Overland video here, confirming the TPH-001 harness fits the 2020 Jeep Gladiators:

However, one of the reputable overlanding workshops has recently commented, “the TPH-020 harness worked great (after switching the blue and black wires). I think moving forward that's the setup we will order for the JL Wangler platforms.”

They purchased the TPH-020 for a JL Wangler and swapped around the Blue and Black cables, this adaptor harness is originally suitable for the RAM trucks.
-----------------

Blue is brake output - 12v to the trailer brakes, black is input power to the controller. Odd that would be reversed in the RAM but whatever.

It would be simple to devise a system to trigger brake lights at the trailer when that button is pressed. But like you said - rare would be the time I'd actually need that function or want it.

Jeep Gladiator Will this combo do for Redarc install in JT? trailer-controller-wiri

Here's how I rigged a 1982 NOS (new old stock) AMC Eagle cruise control switch to operate the cruise control system of the Jeep engine and PCM I put in my car - that took some figuring as I wanted the Jeep cruise control to work in the car but the controls were pretty much backwards and in a different combination than AMC used in the 80s - the result is perfect control over the cruise built into the 1994 ZJ PCM using my 1982 AMC wiring and switch.

Jeep Gladiator Will this combo do for Redarc install in JT? cruise-relay-on-diode-3

Jeep Gladiator Will this combo do for Redarc install in JT? cruise-relay_2272

Jeep Gladiator Will this combo do for Redarc install in JT? cruise-relay_2273

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
I tested with a button press and as expected on my ram harness it did not activate the lights.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I tested with a button press and as expected on my ram harness it did not activate the lights.
THANKS for checking.
Then I guess the Jeep harness they offer would be just as good - without having to switch wires.
If there's a problem later, I can always switch things around.
And if the lack of lights on the button press bothers me I could try to rig a circuit to get around that. Such a circuit would go in the connector at the back, between trailer and truck.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well now this is really confusing after getting a response to my question about the harnesses - they said there's no diode in the 001 harness, there is in the 020 harness (but you need to switch the blue and black wires)
And he said there's been no problems using the 001 - with no diode!
So - what's up? Is there or is there NOT a problem with not having a diode in the brake light line (red)?
Here's his exact response to me when asking the difference between the two -
----------------
I can confirm the TPH-001 has no diode however the TPH-020 does have the said diode in the red wire.

After my email to you yesterday, I was curious to hear how the team at Trail Benders Overland were getting on with their TowPro in the Gladiator? See below for their comments using the TPH-001:

“I haven’t had any problems with it since install. In fact, I towed a 16ft flatbed a couple days ago and was ultra-impressed in proportional mode the tires did not lock up when it was empty. This particular trailer will lock up really easily when it’s not loaded and behind the Jeep the tires did not lock up. No dash warning signs either.”

So I take it from these comments, the TPH-001 should be good to go, They also reported in the past, when the over-ride button is pressed, no brake lights are activated so I’m guessing maybe Jeep have placed the diode on the Jeep side now?

I guess if you do need the diode, you could always add it in later?
------------------------

So is there really NOT a problem with no diode? This seems to indicate you don't really need it.... as the folks at Trail Benders Overland used the 001 harness, no diode, and have no issues.

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well now this is really confusing after getting a response to my question about the harnesses - they said there's no diode in the 001 harness, there is in the 020 harness (but you need to switch the blue and black wires)
And he said there's been no problems using the 001 - with no diode!
So - what's up? Is there or is there NOT a problem with not having a diode in the brake light line (red)?
Here's his exact response to me when asking the difference between the two -
----------------
I can confirm the TPH-001 has no diode however the TPH-020 does have the said diode in the red wire.

After my email to you yesterday, I was curious to hear how the team at Trail Benders Overland were getting on with their TowPro in the Gladiator? See below for their comments using the TPH-001:

“I haven’t had any problems with it since install. In fact, I towed a 16ft flatbed a couple days ago and was ultra-impressed in proportional mode the tires did not lock up when it was empty. This particular trailer will lock up really easily when it’s not loaded and behind the Jeep the tires did not lock up. No dash warning signs either.”

So I take it from these comments, the TPH-001 should be good to go, They also reported in the past, when the over-ride button is pressed, no brake lights are activated so I’m guessing maybe Jeep have placed the diode on the Jeep side now?

I guess if you do need the diode, you could always add it in later?
------------------------

So is there really NOT a problem with no diode? This seems to indicate you don't really need it.... as the folks at Trail Benders Overland used the 001 harness, no diode, and have no issues.
There were lots of people who used Cherokee harnesses on JLs back in 2018/2019 who had the dashboard light up light Christmas when they didn't have the diode. I think it's related mostly to the adaptive cruise, but not 100% sure. I would personally rather have the diode in there.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There were lots of people who used Cherokee harnesses on JLs back in 2018/2019 who had the dashboard light up light Christmas when they didn't have the diode. I think it's related mostly to the adaptive cruise, but not 100% sure. I would personally rather have the diode in there.
You have triggered a memory......... it seems that ACC was mentioned somewhere in these forums as MAYBE being related. I have ACC (so does my wife in her GC)

I think I'll change my order to the Ram harness.
Other than the diode, and the ram harness needing the power and brake power output wires needing switched, they are the same. I'd rather switch two wires and be done than maybe need to open things up later, or cut into a wire to insert a diode. Not that I don't have plenty, but..........

OK, thanks, I'm going to switch browser tabs and click order.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Order completed - Ram harness (TPH-020 version which is what they said they'd likely be switching to in the future for Gladiator) round bezel, and controller.
Already ordered the tool for removing the lighter - oops, the PC term - 12 volt outlet.

Thanks to all for the thoughts, suggestions, ideas.

Michael@WeGo4WhlLow

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Area Director
Here is the parts list from my install... Went very easy and was done in about hour and half for the controller. Install for the air bags took about hour to install....Works great on my last trip to Ouray Jeep Jamboree 2400 miles!!! Heading to Black Hills SD Jeep Jamboree and then to Yellowstone in a few weeks... Good luck with the install and big shout out to this forum for all the help!!!
Jeep Gladiator Will this combo do for Redarc install in JT? Trailer brake

Jeep Gladiator Will this combo do for Redarc install in JT? 1599585546572

Jeep Gladiator Will this combo do for Redarc install in JT? MVIMG_20200830_111144

Reactions: KVJ
OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't tell by the pics - did you use the 020 Ram Redarc harness?
You are pulling a fair load with the Jeep on that trailer, with an Overland (what I have)
I like the looks of the install in the 12v outlook spot and how the white lettering helps.

I plan on filling the letters to match the other lettering in the Jeep - Not as steady as I used to be - but also did the orange in these gauges, pointers and scale areas.

Jeep Gladiator Will this combo do for Redarc install in JT? sx4-rally-gauges
Sponsored