Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Are you using one? What are you using? Where did you buy it? Where did you mount it?

A lot of questions. I have always run my winches constant hot, directly connected to the battery, including my current winch on the JT. I have never had a problem. But I am thinking a disconnect switch would be a good idea these days. I disconnected the power from the battery yesterday, and can simply hook it back up when I go off-road. But, it would not be very convenient in foul weather if I need to rescue myself, or someone on a whim.

Please share what you have. Thank-you

Include a picture if you can.
Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch jt37
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Nice looking Rig ! I just installed my Warn 10s Platinum yesterday with the warn winch plate. I bought the warn power interrupt kit that I plan to run off my Aux switch. It is a solenoid that interrupts power from the battery cable. I plan to do that today before the playoff games start. I am making an aluminum bracket for the solenoid to attach to one of the bolts near the back of the fender. I will attach some pics and outcome tomorrow.

OP
OP
TJDave

TJDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Motorized toy collector
Nice looking Rig ! I just installed my Warn 10s Platinum yesterday with the warn winch plate. I bought the warn power interrupt kit that I plan to run off my Aux switch. It is a solenoid that interrupts power from the batter cable. I plan to do that today before the playoff games sart. I am making a bracket for the solenoid to attach to one of the bolts near the back of the fender. I will attach some pics and outcome tomorrow.
Nice! Thank you. I have the aux switch package as well. I am very interested in what you come up with.

Monte.Trumbull

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
Nice! Thank you. I have the aux switch package as well. I am very interested in what you come up with.
I installed the Warn 10s as well with the Warn interrupt connected to the aux switches. Here is a pic of everything installed. I have a diesel, so the battery is in a different location than the gassers.

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch 20201121_150019

gerky18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have the Harbor Freight 12k winch and it comes with a manual disconnect that I put next to the battery. I have seen similar ones on Amazon and other places though.

20210116_214048.jpg

Sponsored

Andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Are you using one? What are you using? Where did you buy it? Where did you mount it?

Please share what you have. Thank-you

Include a picture if you can.
I bought a Harbor Freight 12K apex winch. It came with a disconnect that I installed next to the battery. It initially wedged into that spot with no mount. I later added a little 3m tape to anchor it to the side of the truck.

i-K85MnLJ-XL.jpg

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I have argued this point at length, that it is not necessary, but it does protect against accidental or malicious shorting of the terminals. So In the end I installed one.

Blue Sea Systems 500A constant, 900A surge, about $50, and I made the bracket.

1129201514_HDR.jpg

1025201435_HDR.jpg

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I'm using one with my Badlands Apex 12000lb winch, it came with one. Mounted it right beside the battery.

Elkaholic

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Willys Diesel
Occupation
Management
I have always used some sort of disconnect - usually the Warn system or a generic 100% duty cycle solenoid. I have see three times now winch solenoids lock up and twice folks were hurt. Been installing this way since about ‘95

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Ok, I got my warn power disconnect kit wired in. I used a piece of aluminum and an after market stereo stabilizer that were both in my garage. I just had to sift through some of my extra parts. This allowed me to slide the solenoid around a little to get a nice fit. I used some velcro fuzz on the bottom of the mount so it will not scratch the paint. The sting grey bolt comes from my fender pinch bolt which I happen to have removed because I just installed my Rock Slide Engineering step sliders which use the fender pinch seam bolt. I hooked up to Aux switch and it works perfectly. Here are some pics of the installation. It seems like a great kit.

PS. I could not get my factory 55 Ultrahook to work with the platinum rope. The end of the rope is just to thick for the ultrahook. I beat it up trying to get it in, but, it will not swivel once I seat it with the winch.... No way. I have to send it back... ugh...

Update: I just heard from Factory 55. The non-fitment happens sometimes. It is in their FAQ. They told me to pound down the thimble on the rope with a hammer to make it fit, and that is what I am going to do.

I also added a Maximus 3 license plate holder and warn epic fairlead

The Mopar low grill guard with my mopar lights will not fit even with spacers with the Warn Platinum winch. The head is too big for it to clear. I have to order the Warn low grill guard to get my mopar lights back on.

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch WlF0g9

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch v77wXW

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch KQKmOI

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch CEnFP9

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch WKSJ8I

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch qTQkFL

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch uVw2JN

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Came with my winch - SO SIMPLE!

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch 20201017_135923_HDR

Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch 20201017_135945_HDR

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I figure I'm going to have to get out of the truck, get dirty and connect the winch rope to something, and it's 10 seconds to open the hood and turn the switch. This came with the winch, and I don't have aux switches. ;)

I generally work with what I have - so if I had aux switches, I may have done it differently.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I do install a power disconnect for winches in most cases, the Warn kit on my XJ many years ago, I just bought a solenoid and did my own on JT. Years back jack asses was screwing with vehicles with winches. I do like the safety of being able to shut down the winch and not have a heavy guage live 12v cable setting out ready to run full power though and straight back to battery if damaged. There is a few threads on the installation from last spring of winches here.
Sponsored