First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Dad, Veteran, Electrical Engineer
I thought the same. This is a standard relay so it doesn’t matter how they label it. It just matters that the posts are connected correctly. There is plenty of info on these using google. Lol
Looking more at it, I think this is the internal winch solenoid found inside the control box of the winch itself. The other wiring diagram doesn't even match the labels I posted above.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the same. This is a standard relay so it doesn’t matter how they label it. It just matters that the posts are connected correctly. There is plenty of info on these using google. Lol
Doesn't look like "standard" relay to me. Relays have a coil + and - and the switch contacts.
And why would you break the winch negative?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looking more at it, I think this is the internal winch solenoid found inside the control box of the winch itself. The other wiring diagram doesn't even match the labels I posted above.
Yes, otherwise you'd not break the negative. This is the control box that swaps + and - around to reverse the winch motor. Nothing standard about it as far as being a relay. It reverses connections.
This is not a winch disconnect.

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, otherwise you'd not break the negative. This is the control box that swaps + and - around to reverse the winch motor. Nothing standard about it as far as being a relay. It reverses connections.
This is not a winch disconnect.
i meant to say solenoid. It can be wired to engage and act as a on/off solenoid.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
i meant to say solenoid. It can be wired to engage and act as a on/off solenoid.
Why?
Yes, it would act like a "solenoid" if you ignored the other two big posts.
IMO, it's a waste of space and not as tidy, but if that's the choice - it can be done.
You'll want to insulate those extra posts, it will be bulky.
I'd never recommend it to anyone to use as a winch cut-off solenoid because the other posts may be hot depending on the mode it's in.
I bet people grab it not knowing what it really is, or sellers out there sell to unsuspecting folks hawking it as a winch cutoff solenoid.

One in, one out, and a simple low-current coil. It's sold for winches and fits almost anywhere.
Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch? 20220728_152817_HDR

Sponsored

billfraley

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
Why?
Yes, it would act like a "solenoid" if you ignored the other two big posts.
IMO, it's a waste of space and not as tidy, but if that's the choice - it can be done.
You'll want to insulate those extra posts, it will be bulky.
I'd never recommend it to anyone to use as a winch cut-off solenoid because the other posts may be hot depending on the mode it's in.
I bet people grab it not knowing what it really is, or sellers out there sell to unsuspecting folks hawking it as a winch cutoff solenoid.

One in, one out, and a simple low-current coil. It's sold for winches and fits almost anywhere.
20220728_152817_HDR.jpg
This solenoid is designed to operate the in and out of a winch motor. That is not how I am planning to use it. It is able to isolate both the positive and negative feed from the battery. This is why I chose this route. When you switch either in or out, two posts are positive and two posts are negative. So, as long as you know which posts to connect for in(or out) and you only ever switch on that direction, you will provide both positive and negative directly to the winch. This will only provide a feed connection and not control the winch.

By connecting only one side to a switch, it will only engage a single polarity connection.

I know what it is, and I know why I chose it.

I am attaching a couple of illustrations. Basically, they show which posts are shorted when either in or out is activated. Based on that, only ever activating one switch input will result in one SET of positive and one SET of negative posts on the solenoid.

I still have to verify the in and out and which posts it actually shorts together. The illustrations are not necessarily exact yet. But you should get the point.

Also, because I have the Lasfit Aux switches relay box also installed by the battery, this device will fit in the narrow opening that remains.

Solenoid_out.png

Solenoid.jpg

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Hey everyone, so I got the solenoid and switch and trying to get it all wired up. The switch that came with the warn solenoid has a red wire with a fuse that's supposed to splice into the ignition. Can anyone tell me where under the hood to connect this? Can I just attach it to the positive on the battery and make sure I only flip the switch when the truck is running? I don't really have the time to order anything but I could run down to AutoZone or something if need be.

Thanks

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
I used a piggyback mini fuse. I don't remember the circuit I used where I inserted the new piggyback. I will look.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
I used a piggyback mini fuse. I don't remember the circuit I used where I inserted the new piggyback. I will look.
F53 wireless speaker is the fuse I replaced with the piggyback. My piggyback fuse came with my s-tech Aux switch kit. The instructions gave me the location of the fuse to swap it with.
Jeep Gladiator Winch disconnect switch? 20230208_163334

Sponsored

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired AMT
Depending how you plug it in will depend if your circuit will be fused or not. The one that came with my kit had two fuse locations, one for the existing circuit and one for the S-tech relay box. The one Advanced, piggyback fuse holder can go in one way and protect the existing circuit and the circuit you are adding. Install it the other direction and you risk not having the piggyback line protected. Just watch how you install it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have auxiliary switches. What if I ran it to N4?
You can piggy back it to the 12v outlet fuse. That way it will only work with ign on or engine running.
I can't recall fuse number but you can get the kit to do so cheap on amazon.
I have pictures in the house - it's cheap, simple, and safe. It is a clean install that way, too - no extra wires hanging on the battery and so on.

Yeah, you COULD run it to N8 which as I recall is an extra power feed for accessories.

This solenoid is designed to operate the in and out of a winch motor. That is not how I am planning to use it. It is able to isolate both the positive and negative feed from the battery. This is why I chose this route. When you switch either in or out, two posts are positive and two posts are negative. So, as long as you know which posts to connect for in(or out) and you only ever switch on that direction, you will provide both positive and negative directly to the winch. This will only provide a feed connection and not control the winch.

By connecting only one side to a switch, it will only engage a single polarity connection.

I know what it is, and I know why I chose it.

I am attaching a couple of illustrations. Basically, they show which posts are shorted when either in or out is activated. Based on that, only ever activating one switch input will result in one SET of positive and one SET of negative posts on the solenoid.

I still have to verify the in and out and which posts it actually shorts together. The illustrations are not necessarily exact yet. But you should get the point.

Also, because I have the Lasfit Aux switches relay box also installed by the battery, this device will fit in the narrow opening that remains.

Yeah, I know exactly what it is and how it works - already "got the point" as to what it was and how it worked (electric is my thing) - I was just wondering why such a complex device when all you need to do is break the hot cable to the winch up front.

So you'll only use two of the posts - one from battery to that device, another post for from that device to the winch. 0 need to break ground. Besides, some winches ground through the winch body so you technically can't break the ground.

That's basically just an electric switch that reverses polarity coming out to reverse the winch motor if it was installed for winch control.
So it can still be a simple "on/off" switch, but when "off" in your case, the other terminal will be hot.

OP
OP
BringTheLightnin

BringTheLightnin

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
Depending how you plug it in will depend if your circuit will be fused or not. The one that came with my kit had two fuse locations, one for the existing circuit and one for the S-tech relay box. The one Advanced, piggyback fuse holder can go in one way and protect the existing circuit and the circuit you are adding. Install it the other direction and you risk not having the piggyback line protected. Just watch how you install it.
Ended up going down to advance and picked up one of the add a circuit fuses for the switch. I'm going to wire it up today. It has 2 fuse spots for the old circuit and the new. Not sure what you meant by it can go 2 directions
Sponsored