Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I used an aux switch, and configured it for ignition only. Itā€™s worked out well. But the fact that the wiring and hardware was included made this very cost effective in my opinion.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I have seen winches directly to the battery. Should they be using an interupter? Why?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The last thing you want is to need to open the hood and reach for a connection. Itā€™s much safer to tell the person helping that youā€™ve put power to the winch, after pressing a button inside the cab.
It was fine opening my hood, turning the switch to power the winch when I pulled the guy out of the snowy ditch, however, I was standing and walking on some pretty slick ice........... but at that point it wasn't a big deal. But, if you are in a tough spot yourself, that hood could be inconvenient.
It's one reason I opted for aux switches this time - that, and using one to manually turn on my barn burning, flame-throwing LED backup lights when I need light behind the truck at night with the truck in park and the brake set.
The big red button has worked for me so far, but I can project into the future and see- it might not always be that easy. Opening the hood to turn that big red switch is another reason I like the hood struts - once you slide the safety catch to the side, you simply let go of the hood and it smoothly opens even if you can't reach it.
But then, you have a hood open blocking view while winching.......... lots of things to think about.
Hood closed, you have a full view, if you are inside, or if you are outside like I was with my wife in the truck while I winched the guy out.
I will be ordering the Warn device.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen winches directly to the battery. Should they be using an interupter? Why?
Some idiot blows a red light and you smack them broadside, or someone falls asleep and crosses over and hits you head to head - bam, full battery power to the front and that winch cable gets crunched in the steel and aluminum - instant spark and melting wires.
I have seen enough in my life to know I would never ever have full battery power, especially through such a large cable, going up to that bumper area. Too many things happen. I've rewired trucks and cars due to electrical fires just with 14 gauge wire doing the damage - imagine all those amps going through that big winch power cable.
Even a side hit can twist the frame and bumper enough to pinch that big cable and ground it, causing things to melt and burn.
It's just not worth it. I don't want to be in my truck if it catches fire from something like that. And I don't want my wife driving it with a fuse just waiting to be lit by some idiot.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And this isnā€™t even that expensive. I bought the Warn part number solenoid on Amazon for $80. And it included all battery cables, hardware, and a switch if you donā€™t have, or donā€™t want to use an aux switch. Thats seriously cheap for a turn key solution.
Link?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Read above. Fire risk with front impact.
Power Wagon's are wired direct to the battery from the factory. No switch.

If I'm winching someone. I have my hood open. I like my windshield in one piece. If I'm winching myself out. My hood is close so that I can see. I like using the wireless remotes too.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Power Wagon's are wired direct to the battery from the factory. No switch.

If I'm winching someone. I have my hood open. I like my windshield in one piece. If I'm winching myself out. My hood is close so that I can see. I like using the wireless remotes too.
The power wagon stock winch wiring argument has been used before. Just because something comes from the factory a certain way, doesnā€™t mean itā€™s smart.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
The power wagon stock winch wiring argument has been used before. Just because something comes from the factory a certain way, doesnā€™t mean itā€™s smart.
I'm just saying that's the way Ram does it on the PW's. Is it correct, Ram thinks it is. The winch is position deeper into the frame rails. It's more protected then a winch on a Jeep. Plus the wiring is more protected then what's on a Jeep too. Myself, I like the idea of the solenoid.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just saying that's the way Ram does it on the PW's. Is it correct, Ram thinks it is. The winch is position deeper into the frame rails. It's more protected then a winch on a Jeep. Plus the wiring is more protected then what's on a Jeep too. Myself, I like the idea of the solenoid.
Thatā€™s fair. Definitely sounds like a different install. My winch is sunk down a fair bit, and the wires are behind it, but they then are bundled and covered and follow the passenger frame rail befor it goes up behind the fender towards the battery. A decent crush accident impact to that passenger front wheel could hit that wire.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was discussing winches with my dealer guy and talking about Dodge trucks of various flavors and he knew all about the Power Wagons and their deep-set winches behind the bumper between the frame rails, how it was designed to be part of the truck rather than an accessory, protected, wiring protected and so on. You hit the front of one of those and you will be sorry.
I get what they do, their logic and reasoning, but still, I'd likely have some sort of safety installed if it were mine. But I don't have to worry about that - I worry about the Jeeps, very different front-ends and even if the winch is buried behind a 3rd party steel bumper, that crumple zone up front......
And if I ever need to service the winch for any reason - nothing to disconnect to make the winch safe to work on. You can't even accidentally make it go.
I'd bet the PW winch wiring, not having worked on one since the mid-1980s, has the wiring routed similar to and just as protected as the starter wiring on many cars and trucks were over the years.
Sponsored