Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

Sponsored

TroutFishingInAmerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
I tried some end caps, the ones I had didn't fit flush and looked like crap. They pushed themselves up and we're uneven looking. I found that if I trimmed them shorter they fit and looked better. So I sat in the drivers seat and trimmed a bunch of them, I installed them in front of me just to test the fit, then I was going to place them in the middle where they are needed. I found out that being shorter now, if I drop one they can fall through the grill. I dropped 2 into the shallow part of the vent, I was just thankful they didn't fall into the vent abyss in the middle. This could have been a lot worse. Laughing at myself, I got a mirror and tweezers and fished them out. What a bonehead. I'd try it again with a different manufacturer, but I tossed the ones I had after the unsuccessful and idiotic attempt.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Its cool you guys have such a good attitude about this. Part of being a Jeeper is rolling with this kind of thing and adapting. I had a 1978 CJ-7 that had at least a dozen "its a Jeep thing" quirks that were - mostly - part of its charm. But its 2021, and these trucks are not cheap (unlike my CJ). An ineffective defroster in the most expensive mid-size truck in America is just not acceptable. More people need to say so, and Jeep needs to provide a fix.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
I did the caps from Amazon as a temporary fix and it does help by forcing more warm air to the problem area which for me is the extreme right and left sides of the windshield. Snow builds up and won't melt. Working on a design with my Wentworth Tech son for him to 3D print on his printer at home.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

Liftr

First Name
Duran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Occupation
Aviation
I bought and installed these a few days ago. So far, I can’t find the right amount of plugs in the center area to even out the airflow to the edges. Also, I’ve had a few plugs come loose and pop free.
I think I might try drilling 1/8” holes in about 20 plugs and cover the whole center section.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I bought and installed these a few days ago. So far, I can’t find the right amount of plugs in the center area to even out the airflow to the edges. Also, I’ve had a few plugs come loose and pop free.
I think I might try drilling 1/8” holes in about 20 plugs and cover the whole center section.
before you do that, put all of the plugs in the middle of the defrost "bar". What i found is enough air still escapes past the plugs to defrost the center, and pushes extra air to the left and right.

i first tried spacing every 5 or so holes, found EVERY HOLE was the best solution.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
before you do that, put all of the plugs in the middle of the defrost "bar". What i found is enough air still escapes past the plugs to defrost the center, and pushes extra air to the left and right.

i first tried spacing every 5 or so holes, found EVERY HOLE was the best solution.
couple things, the flash makes my dash look super dirty.
looks like i have five plugs that blew out.
i put all 24 of them one next to each other from basically that circular thing on the dash just to the left of the phone holder all the way to the right where there's another circular thingy.

Also, it seems like not having any open plugs in the middle makes the pressure stronger, and as it gets colder and the pressure in the vent goes up, more of the plugs blow out.

Jeep Gladiator Windshield Defroster fix mod from JL forum 1613536781464

brookie0907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ UR 2020 JT Rubicon
And this...windshield cracked from defroster heating in the middle only. I installed the plugs afterwards. Have another crack from a rock, so may wait till warmer weather to replace. It was not all that cold that morning and the JT was garaged. When auto starting, I think the heat comes out the defrost and changes once you open the door. This is what I see anyway.
Jeep Gladiator Windshield Defroster fix mod from JL forum IMG_7822

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And this...windshield cracked from defroster heating in the middle only. I installed the plugs afterwards. Have another crack from a rock, so may wait till warmer weather to replace. It was not all that cold that morning and the JT was garaged. When auto starting, I think the heat comes out the defrost and changes once you open the door. This is what I see anyway.
Jeep Gladiator Windshield Defroster fix mod from JL forum IMG_7822
yeah i think it blasts it on defrost, open the passenger door, it'll keep blasting, then when you open the drivers door it'll change to whatever you last had it on, (i think that's what happens anyways).
Sponsored