Sponsored

Would you pay monthly for your heated seats to work?

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Don't we all... But not everyone can afford to buy a $50K+ vehicle in a lump-sum. I had to lease mine just to make the payment affordable and within budget, and then once it's done, I'll still be taking out a purchase loan for the residual. I used to make ok money years ago, back when I bought most of my toys, but I don't anymore, so I can't afford things like I used to. Plus, real life seems to get in the way a lot more as I get older, and priorities change.
No doubt. I drove my first 4WD pickup -- a Nissan -- for 20 years. That allowed me to own my next truck outright.
Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 6-Speed Rubicon Gator Gladiator, 2015 Infiniti Q60 6-Speed Sport Coupe (wife's, really), 2003 5-speed Honda Civic Coupe, 1960-something Jeep Gladiator (Matchbox)
Ok how about they put V12ā€™s in everything and you can just pay for the cylinders you want to use...

After all that should help them streamline motor manufacturing.
My Ram did that! It would drop from 8 cylinders to 4 on the highway with no warning.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I wonder if they want to do this for a supply chain standpoint. Like it is easier and more profitable for them to make every car with features like heated seats and collect the money on the backend from some customers rather than putting out all kinds of different options.

Ironically that cold weather package was one of the top reasons I ended up doing a custom build. Somehow here in SC every since JT on the lot had that package. I just didn't get it, like that feature is useful two months of the year here. Having the option to not pay and not activate it could work.

Overall though it is scary though to think some car features could become subscription, I could care less about the data features in mine, but other things. Like what if they charged a rate for android auto use? This could go down a bad path really quickly.

Only good thing is there are hackers out there that will figure out how to buypass things like this just because they can. lol

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ironically that cold weather package was one of the top reasons I ended up doing a custom build. Somehow here in SC every since JT on the lot had that package. I just didn't get it, like that feature is useful two months of the year here. Having the option to not pay and not activate it could work.
That subscription service is sounding better and better to me. Contrary to you, I had to get the cold wx package to please my wife ... and we live in ARIZONA! If I want to get her into the truck to join me on a ski trip, life is much, much better if her seat heats. I also enjoy it ... maybe once or twice a year. Hopefully I'll have this truck for many years to come, but in the end, that option will probably have cost me $20 per hot seat..

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
This all started with Tesla. Paying to unlock features.

That means the hardware is inherently there and in your purchase price regardless if you use it or not. Stupid as fuck for people who fall for it.

Adaptive headlights or heated seat access. Means you paid for the hardware even if you don't use it.

I almost never drive at night and will never pay extra for factory lighting upgrades. But if you tell me I'm paying hardware costs but getting no benefit because not paying software costs I will look elsewhere.

Sponsored

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That means the hardware is inherently there and in your purchase price regardless if you use it or not. Stupid as fuck for people who fall for it.

Adaptive headlights or heated seat access. Means you paid for the hardware even if you don't use it.

I almost never drive at night and will never pay extra for factory lighting upgrades. But if you tell me I'm paying hardware costs but getting no benefit because not paying software costs I will look elsewhere.
I assume all trucks are wired for it, the software is paid for and it probably costs the manufacturer another $10 to add heated seats to your truck. But, if you want it, you pay $700 for the feature. So, to Eagles point, you've already essentially paid for 98% of the option whether you choose it or not. No fucking difference.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I assume all trucks are wired for it, the software is paid for and it probably costs the manufacturer another $10 to add heated seats to your truck. But, if you want it, you pay $700 for the feature. So, to Eagles point, you've already essentially paid for 98% of the option whether you choose it or not. No fucking difference.
As has been shown in other threads, the wiring is not always there. Those who have wanted to add a front camera and bed outlet have discovered this. Jeep apparently modifies the base harness depending on the options ordered from the factory. The software is a sunk cost spread across all the vehicles, but the options are only enabled to match the actual hardware installed. The cost of heated seats, for example, is more than $10. Along with the wiring added to the harness, is the manufacturing cost of adding heating elements to the seats, and the modifications needed to protect them over the life of the vehicle. There is a difference in each Jeep that comes off line.

OP
OP
Rex3rd

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I live in Alabama... We don't need heated seats around here. But if we did, no way in hell would I pay monthly to use it, after I paid for the option to be installed from the factory.

This is why the government needs to be dismantled and rebuilt to a minimum-function entity that is truly ran BY the people, OF the people, and FOR the people...You know, the novel concept of what it was INTENDED to be by our Founding Fathers.
It could go the other way around. What if they charged you for you to use your AC lol. PS. I'm in Alabama too and no ac would suck

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Yet another money grab. I get the idea of simplifying production by building all vehicles with all the equipment installed. It solves the configuration projections for dealer allocations and the custom orders.

I canā€™t see how they could sell the thing at a below cost and trust subscriptions to push it from a loss into a profit. That means you did pay for everything except a ā€œright to useā€ license. The only subscriptions that make sense are where other service providers are involved like satellite radio, Internet data plans and such. CarPlay and Android Auto do not warrant a subscriptio. Those are just interfaces, the service comes with your phone.

Money-grubbing SOBs

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader

Thank you. At least you get it. People that are ok with this is the reason weā€™re even having this conversation...

Sponsored

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
My Ram did that! It would drop from 8 cylinders to 4 on the highway with no warning.
Yah and how would you feel if you had to pay for the gas to haul around the other four cylinders all the time if they didnā€™t turn back on when you stepped on the gas peddle?

There is a big difference between cylinder deactivation for fuel economy and cylinder deactivation for subscription purposes, but I guess you know that your just being...

jimbom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yah and how would you feel if you had to pay for the gas to haul around the other four cylinders all the time if they didnā€™t turn back on when you stepped on the gas peddle?

There is a big difference between cylinder deactivation for fuel economy and cylinder deactivation for subscription purposes, but I guess you know that your just being...
... facetious? I already admitted that.

You're right, after paying for a hemi, I'd be pissed to have to pay to use all the cylinders. Yet we all don't seem too upset that our motors are capable of more power, but we have to pay extra for a chip to unleash it. Or pay for the Tazer to unlock a bunch of new features.

I do think about all the gas I buy just to haul my 4WD system around that I use <10% of the time. Speaking of which, Jeep missed the boat on this one, particularly since they chose to put 4WD in every vehicle. For the folks who have to have a Jeep, but obviously never use 4WD, Jeep should have made 4WD a subscription service. Maybe they'd sell more Jeeps to other folks like them, tricking them into thinking they aren't paying for 4WD if they don't use it. (See, I'm essentially agreeing with you guys now.)

Last edited:

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
... facetious? I already admitted that.

You're right, after paying for a hemi, I'd be pissed to have to pay to use all the cylinders. Yet we all don't seem too upset that our motors are capable of more power, but we have to pay extra for a chip to unleash it. Or pay for the Tazer to unlock a bunch of new features.

I do think about all the gas I buy just to haul my 4WD system around that I use <10% of the time. Speaking of which, Jeep missed the boat on this one, particularly since they chose to put 4WD in every vehicle. For the folks who have to have a Jeep, but obviously never use 4WD, Jeep should have made 4WD a subscription service. Maybe they'd sell more Jeeps to other folks like them, tricking them into thinking they aren't paying for 4WD if they don't use it. (See, I'm essentially agreeing with you guys now.)
Ok you sucked me in...

I currently drive a 2017 BMW 340i Mperformance. Part of the Mperformance package is a power bump in the form of a factory performance chip. Yes I paid extra for that and Iā€™m fine with it as they have to factory warranty anything that could arise from the added boost. Again they added something I paid for it. As far as the Tazer is concerned, im On the fence. If those features are already programmed into the vehicle but locked and the Tazer is just unlocking it for me then yes I think thatā€™s bullshit. However if the mini is reprogramming my vehicle and adding those features then Iā€™m ok with paying for it.

The whole Awd stuff is just...

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
....and slowly the price will go up a little at a time, so you pay for all the options AND the monthly fees. Sneaky....

Caraholic

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
81ā€™ Cherokee,20' GMC AT4, ā€˜18 4Runner, cross-trek
Occupation
professional big dumb animal.........
Itā€™s kinda what Tesla does,
The work around is with this example-
Heated seats- Iā€™ll go aftermarket.
The push also is that automakers are headed to you can buy the car but you donā€™t own the rights to work on it- kinda like elevators. Watch out for that hussle!
Greed greed greed....
Sponsored