First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Mechanical Design Engineer
Everyone is safe! Humor us, the poll is just for fun. My wife rolled her Jeep today on a narrow road with steep drop offs. Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on the extent of the damage. It was a pretty low speed accident (<30mph). My wife said the accelerator was pinned so it ran while on its side for some time and eventually died. It was on its side for almost an hour. Then, the tow truck driver drug it up and out locked in park. Not sure how to address the potential mechanical issues with insurance. I’m assuming they are going to try to just slap new fenders/doors/etc on the exterior and call it good. Any advice?

Jeep Gladiator Rolled Jeep today, but everyone is safe! Repair or total loss? E77063D6-DD72-44F8-AB6F-3EF15F1A14B4

Jeep Gladiator Rolled Jeep today, but everyone is safe! Repair or total loss? 1CE95CE0-D0B8-4D47-AF54-51EE7281CD1B

Jeep Gladiator Rolled Jeep today, but everyone is safe! Repair or total loss? 93744465-E6B1-44CD-BE74-CB19C502E20B
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mechjk43

Mechjk43

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Honestly, the jeep looked much better than expected based on how it looked when I showed up. But, who knows now days. We had a Grand Cherokee get totaled out from what I would have considered a fender bender.

Vincent

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Everyone is safe! My wife rolled her Jeep today on a narrow road with steep drop offs. Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on the extent of the damage. It was a pretty low speed accident (<30mph). My wife said the accelerator was pinned so it ran while on its side for some time and eventually died. It was on its side for almost an hour. Then, the tow truck driver drug it up and out locked in park. Not sure how to address the potential mechanical issues with insurance. I’m assuming they are going to try to just slap new fenders/doors/etc on the exterior and call it good. Any advice?

Jeep Gladiator Rolled Jeep today, but everyone is safe! Repair or total loss? 93744465-E6B1-44CD-BE74-CB19C502E20B

Glad everyone’s ok!! This looks like those narrow western Kentucky roads with drops on each side ugh! I say loss….

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
People who "guess" and that's all it is, are seldom correct on these things.
One of the last ones had people saying the frame was damaged, body out of alignment, all sorts of things. In the end - the damage was superficial only.
Maybe this is just for fun - but never put any serious thought into any of the responses.
It's all just opinion and guessing from non-professionals who no experience in automotive repair.
;)

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Don’t worry about the mechanical issues. It’ll get worked out.

If it gets fixed, any body shop is going to have to drive it around front for you to pickup. It’s not going to leave on a flat bed.

Hopefully your insurance takes care of you without too much inconvenience. And good to hear everyone is ok.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mechjk43

Mechjk43

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
People who "guess" and that's all it is, are seldom correct on these things.
One of the last ones had people saying the frame was damaged, body out of alignment, all sorts of things. In the end - the damage was superficial only.
Maybe this is just for fun - but never put any serious thought into any of the responses.
It's all just opinion and guessing from non-professionals who no experience in automotive repair.
;)
Yes, the poll is just for fun!

I was hoping I might find a person or two that might have advice dealing with insurance on less “obvious” mechanical issues. We’ll see, might not even need to go down that road.

4xjeepr

First Name
DON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Sport, 06 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 95 Wrangler Rio Grande
Not going to speculate on this one bit. Let the insurance company do its investigation and estimation of damage and repair options. Once you receive the information from them, sit down and see what is in your best interest of you and your family. Either way you go, I'm glad everyone is safe! Property can be replaced, family can't.

OP
OP
Mechjk43

Mechjk43

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Don’t worry about the mechanical issues. It’ll get worked out.

If it gets fixed, any body shop is going to have to drive it around front for you to pickup. It’s not going to leave on a flat bed.

Hopefully your insurance takes care of you without too much inconvenience. And good to hear everyone is ok.
Good call. I’ll send some feelers out tomorrow on the best shops in town.

OP
OP
Mechjk43

Mechjk43

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Occupation
Not going to speculate on this one bit. Let the insurance company do its investigation and estimation of damage and repair options. Once you receive the information from them, sit down and see what is in your best interest of you and your family. Either way you go, I'm glad everyone is safe! Property can be replaced, family can't.
Yes sir! After we made sure everyone was okay, we had a good laugh at the fact that I’ve needed to get the cracked windshield fixed for 3 months but I didn’t want to pay that $500 deductible. Problem solved 😅

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
Beyond the body damage, you say the engine was running WOT while on its side until it died? I’d say that engine seized due to lack of oil (or oil in all the wrong places) and is now toast, so add that into the damage total

Sponsored

USMC_1Wire6337

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport S/MT; 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 HEMI
Occupation
IT
Beyond the body damage, you say the engine was running WOT while on its side until it died? I’d say that engine seized due to lack of oil (or oil in all the wrong places) and is now toast, so add that into the damage total
392 anyone?

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone is safe! Humor us, the poll is just for fun. My wife rolled her Jeep today on a narrow road with steep drop offs. Wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on the extent of the damage. It was a pretty low speed accident (<30mph). My wife said the accelerator was pinned so it ran while on its side for some time and eventually died. It was on its side for almost an hour. Then, the tow truck driver drug it up and out locked in park. Not sure how to address the potential mechanical issues with insurance. I’m assuming they are going to try to just slap new fenders/doors/etc on the exterior and call it good. Any advice?

It's a Jeep. polish, buff, replace, repair and drive the shit out of it.

Hemicommander

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator overland, 2011 Ram 1500
Occupation
CADD Designer
I would guess total loss. I do have a question for you about the road, is it county, city or state maintained? It looks like that road needs a guard rail and you could potentially go after the local government that maintains it for there not being the guard rail. Just something to look into in making them pay for the damages. Glad the family is ok and just a little shook up!

taintedsaint

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
retired military
I agree the engine may be the determining factor but air bag deployment also figures bigly. Lots of insurers will total due to high cost of bag replacement.
Sponsored