Dash Cam and Mounting

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
Hate having to run wires behind trim & also take up valuable power outlet space, so picked up this 12v to USB converter, identified a power wire for the mirror that’s on the accessory circuit & tucked it up behind the trim above the mirror. Just a short length of USB wire that comes down to plug into my Garmin mini camera. Works perfectly & was much easier & cleaner than stuffing/routing a long wire behind trim to get to an available power port.
079E95ED-D781-4F7A-A304-1552DBD447B9.jpeg
Can you post a picture of your set up? Thx
Sponsored

Swanny

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
Can you post a picture of your set up? Thx
Sure, but I’d rather not pull down the trim to show the technical portion. The module is rather small & fit nicely up above the trim above the mirror. Used a meter to identify a wire I could draw power from. Overall a pretty simple install.
Jeep Gladiator Dash Cam and Mounting A22254C8-CEF2-46D2-BC1F-1BAD3420F978

FrankFrqnkFrank

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I ended up with a Garnin mini 2. Cheap small and sufficient camera for me. I just plug into cigarette lighter for power. I have No need for a rear camera as I have soft top on 2/3 of the year

Last edited:

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
Sure, but I’d rather not pull down the trim to show the technical portion. The module is rather small & fit nicely up above the trim above the mirror. Used a meter to identify a wire I could draw power from. Overall a pretty simple install.
Awesome, thanks. I just wanted to see how the finished product looked. Looks pretty neat.

Readyt

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rimtyme.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Franchise Business Consultant
I use an Owlcam mounted to a 67 Designs system. Wires are tucked along the bottom of the windshield, tucked along the door to where it plugs into the OBD. No wires to be seen.
How does your Owl Cam work with a Tazer? Both use the OBD port. Loved my Owl but wouldn’t mount to my dash on Groot!

Sponsored

mgw750

First Name
Mke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Machinist
Garmin mini 2 is what I use. Power is routed down under the trim to behind glove box. There are six wires behind there that are used for your accessories. 4 are for the aux switches and 2 are keyed to the ignition. I used one of wires that are keyed from the ignition. I used that 12v to 5v step down mentioned above for power. I found out the hard way the dash cam doesn't like 12v power. Works great. It's small enough to hide behind mirror so it's not in your way.

bmcshane

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired
Garmin Mini 2 for me well. Also used the cigarette lighter for power (was unused anyway) and works great! Added advantage that when Glad is powered on/off, the Garmin also toggles so don’t have to worry about manually powering the Garmin on/off each time I get in/out of Gladiator. Wiring is easy to hide and behind the trim and Garmin gives you plenty of lead wire to snake around the door/dash/center console w/o runnng out. My installation, once snaked, is almost invisible. The Garmin Mini 2 is affordable and has excellent resolution. Since I live in the Sunshine State of FL, I also bought the Garmin Mini 2 optical polarized filter to combat glare for about $20 bucks. Works like a champ! Just pops right over the Garmin lens housing and that’s it!

SubiRubi

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
How does your Owl Cam work with a Tazer? Both use the OBD port. Loved my Owl but wouldn’t mount to my dash on Groot!
Tazer doesn't use the OBD2 port.. It uses the security module

keithcroshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S
Hate having to run wires behind trim & also take up valuable power outlet space, so picked up this 12v to USB converter, identified a power wire for the mirror that’s on the accessory circuit & tucked it up behind the trim above the mirror. Just a short length of USB wire that comes down to plug into my Garmin mini camera. Works perfectly & was much easier & cleaner than stuffing/routing a long wire behind trim to get to an available power port.
I’ve been thinking about doing this for a digital mirror/front dashcam.

OP
OP
SightsOfIron

SightsOfIron

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon
soldering needed then?

Sponsored

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
I got a Nexar cam years ago, like 4 or 5 year ago. Just ran into the trim above the windshield, down the passenger A-Pillar and to the aux power switched under the glove box, it was surprisingly clean and easy to route reall.y

Swanny

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
soldering needed then?
Depends on your preference. I suppose the best way to tap into that power would be to solder, but I've had good luck with the crimp-on insulation piercing taps (3M Scotchlok), which is what I used. A lot of purists frown on those, but for non-critical applications(like this), I see no harm & I can't recall a time that one has failed for me.

OP
OP
SightsOfIron

SightsOfIron

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon
Depends on your preference. I suppose the best way to tap into that power would be to solder, but I've had good luck with the crimp-on insulation piercing taps (3M Scotchlok), which is what I used. A lot of purists frown on those, but for non-critical applications(like this), I see no harm & I can't recall a time that one has failed for me.
yeah i have too so that's good to know they'll be ok.

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
I just pre-ordered the Ring auto cam. It has everything I need; front view and interior view, plus can talk through it, cloud upload videos, check on car real time with the LTE $60/year subscription which I think is a fair price.
Sponsored