Sponsored

Trying to decide which model to get for my first. Wrangler or Gladiator.

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
I have owned 6 RUBI 2 DOOR WRANGLERS ,1 1989 COMMANCHE P/UP now the 2020 RUBI GLAD.
Trails WRANGLER -TRAILS , room, bed GLADY
Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Another unpopular opinion-- if I was a light offroader, I'd seriously look at a Bronco too. Let's face it-- Jeeps drive poorly on the highway, and have a rough ride. Broncos are slightly better, if that is a big issue. I trade off the street manners because I wheel my Jeep a lot, but I've seen more than a few people who bought Jeeps wanting to have the image, but soon trade it because the shine of the new toy fades away and they don't like the mileage or road manners.

Food for thought!

wachuko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Another unpopular opinion-- if I was a light offroader, I'd seriously look at a Bronco too. Let's face it-- Jeeps drive poorly on the highway, and have a rough ride. Broncos are slightly better, if that is a big issue. I trade off the street manners because I wheel my Jeep a lot, but I've seen more than a few people who bought Jeeps wanting to have the image, but soon trade it because the shine of the new toy fades away and they don't like the mileage or road manners.

Food for thought!
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ronco-downgrade-incentive.66534/#post-1091796

TheOpa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber stuff
It was an easy decision for me because of the bed for many reasons. The Gladiator all day every day. I don’t dislike the Wrangler, just like the Gladiator better because I use the bed.
I don’t have an opinion on the diesel though, never test drove one. I am not sorry about the gas engine though and haven’t had a single problem with it.

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
Wife has a JL and I have a Glad to hunt and fish with (kayak & flats boat)
everything has been covered by above post , so just get both

Sponsored

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Depends on your needs. I needed a truck bed so I got the Gladiator. If I didn’t need the bed then I’d probably have a Wrangler (or 4Runner/Bronco). Very simple choice for me. And plus, if you ever need to tow over 3,500lbs then you have your answer already (Gladiator).

Wranglers are better offroad from factory in the breakover angle and departure angle categories. Other than those angles and the bed, there’s just not much difference as far as I know. JT has a better ride quality because of the longer wheelbase but again, that hurts the breakover angle some.

Griff21

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR LE, 1978 CJ5, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Like everyone is saying, it really depends on personal need. I have a Gladiator Rubicon, my girl has a JLU Rubicon. Both are very capable vehicles, hers is better on certain trails and obstacles, mine is better on dump runs and trips to home depot LOL. The wheelbase is manageable on the trail, you just need to be more aware of it. They are very similar and either one is great, the only difference I notice is that mine has the 3.6L and hers is the 2.0L turbo which seems to accelerate better and be more enjoyable to drive merging on freeways.

I went with a Gladiator because I always wanted a newer Wrangler but couldn't justify getting rid of a truck with a bed, for those runs to the dump etc. Now I feel I have the best of both worlds.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
Having had both a 2 door and 4 door Wrangler and now the Gladiator, I can honestly say I prefer the Gladiator as my everyday vehicle. But my 2 door soft-top TJ is still the most fun vehicle that I've ever had and that includes my 300ZX. You can't go wrong with either choice, get the one that fits your needs the most.

Snake Eyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S Max Tow, 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
For those of you that have owned both (Wrangler & Gladiator), which do you like better and why? Looking at a diesel version. Mostly daily driver. Off-road on weekends.
Had a wrangler and loved it. But the ride of the Gladiator is sooooooooo much better. Plus having a truck bed for stuff instead of tina’s a** storage in back. Place to put a slide with fridge with outlet. Other than break over and longer wheelbase if you want to consider in your off-roading I say between the two I love the Gladiator.

Also ultimate overlander because of the bed and payload availability or ease of towing a nice offroad trailer. You just cannot get that with the Wrangler.

Though if you are just looking for the fun of off-roading and skinny tight trails, etc go Wrangler.

If I had enough $$ I would own both!

OP
OP
LBL Chief

LBL Chief

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lamhbatalann.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel Red
Occupation
Martial arts instructor
Now, my "opinion":
I have a JTR and 2 JKUR's. My JTR is set up for overlanding and the JKUR's are for wheeling. How much and what kind of off-roading do you plan on doing? Diesels aren't great in the sand; they are heavy and have a narrow power band which makes it challenging to get the wheel speed needed in the sand. And because they are very heavy in the front (the diesel engine weighs ~400 lbs more) they aren't the best for rock crawling either. The Pentastar 3.6L engine will outperform the diesel off-road.
[/QUOTE]

Off-roading would be trails and such. I've had diesel vehicles for a long time and love the torque!

Sponsored

Carrotzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Glad
One of my Wrangler buddies insists that my Mojave isn’t a Jeep; like a Cherokee? Just a pretender. Don’t get it, I like the extra room. Had a couple of Wranglers, seems legit to me. Odd

OP
OP
LBL Chief

LBL Chief

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
lamhbatalann.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel Red
Occupation
Martial arts instructor
One of my Wrangler buddies insists that my Mojave isn’t a Jeep; like a Cherokee? Just a pretender. Don’t get it, I like the extra room. Had a couple of Wranglers, seems legit to me. Odd
My friend considers anything other than a 2 door, "not really a Jeep"!

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
I ran into a guy who made a comment about my Mojave not being a real Jeep. He had a 4 door wrangler. He says gladiators are fake jeeps.

DFlannery31

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR wrangler
Occupation
First Responder
I’ve had both. Answer these these three questions: Do you need a truck bed? Do you need to tow anything over 3500 lbs? Is the interior cargo volume in a stock wrangler enough for your storage needs?

These are the most basic questions you need to ask yourself to decide between the two. Everything else is just nitpicking.

Carrotzilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Glad
I ran into a guy who made a comment about my Mojave not being a real Jeep. He had a 4 door wrangler. He says gladiators are fake jeeps.
I don’t get it. My Jeep is always dirty from working.
Sponsored