First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original Trailer
This is an awesome package. And it makes the decision between Rubicon and Sport a LOT more difficult. The price of the package will be key. But you're basically getting Rubicon axles and the HD Rubicon brakes and 4.10 gearing without going Rubicon. The standard Transfer Case is fine and most don't really need to opt for the 4:1 Tcase. The electronic swaybar disconnect was always unreliable on JK's and old fashioned manual disconnects are much cheaper and not that hard to use.

This makes me lean towards a Sport S with the Max Tow, probably throw some Detroit Truetracs in the diffs, add some 35's and a bit of lift. Maybe even just get some Rubicon take-off wheels/tires/Fox shocks. Add your own aftermarket bumpers (or Rubicon take-offs) and skids and you have a pretty darn good overlanding rig without the cost of the Rubicon...

The only thing that would make this Max Tow package better would be if you could get at least one locker, in the rear axle, but I doubt we will see that since they'll want you to jump to the Rubicon for factory lockers.

Kind of awesome they are offering it this way. I thought for sure this would have 3.73 gears in the axles. The fact it has 4.10's and the Rubicon brakes is fantastic.
Sponsored

Jeep_VB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 LE Gladiator, 22 Grand Wagoneer S1
This is an awesome package. And it makes the decision between Rubicon and Sport a LOT more difficult. The price of the package will be key. But you're basically getting Rubicon axles and the HD Rubicon brakes and 4.10 gearing without going Rubicon. The standard Transfer Case is fine and most don't really need to opt for the 4:1 Tcase. The electronic swaybar disconnect was always unreliable on JK's and old fashioned manual disconnects are much cheaper and not that hard to use.

This makes me lean towards a Sport S with the Max Tow, probably throw some Detroit Truetracs in the diffs, add some 35's and a bit of lift. Maybe even just get some Rubicon take-off wheels/tires/Fox shocks. Add your own aftermarket bumpers (or Rubicon take-offs) and skids and you have a pretty darn good overlanding rig without the cost of the Rubicon...

The only thing that would make this Max Tow package better would be if you could get at least one locker, in the rear axle, but I doubt we will see that since they'll want you to jump to the Rubicon for factory lockers.

Kind of awesome they are offering it this way. I thought for sure this would have 3.73 gears in the axles. The fact it has 4.10's and the Rubicon brakes is fantastic.
I like the way you think, I'm just worried that Jeep will have taken this into account and when you choose the Max Tow package it will drive the price up to within a couple thousand of an equally equipped Rubicon.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
AWESOME. how much?

MPV

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 GC
Great option and makes it a tougher decision between Sports S Max or Rubicon. FCA pricing will be interesting as with this higher tow rating and great options, cross shopping between JT and full size trucks (with 4-6 cyclinder engines) is likely and may erode new Ram 1500 sales.

Sponsored

BlckJT

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC Altitude -=BlckWK2=-
Awesome package release for the JT Sport S. This sways me to believe that a Sport S is the right decision when adding the Max Tow package. There will be so much JT aftermarket mods out there that it'll be a completely different Jeep within the first year! LOL.

Outside of the Electronic sway disconnect and the locking diff in the Rubi, what are the real additional differences? Maybe the price point will creep up to the Rubi price? But even if I save $3K-5K that is a huge justifiable reason to go with the Sport S/Max Tow package.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Many of the components that make up the Max Tow package for the Sport/Sport S are included in the Trailer Tow package for the Rubicon. The Rubicon with the tow group (3.6/8-speed) will tow 7,000lbs when properly equipped (payload 1,160lbs).

The biggest difference between the Rubicon Trailer Tow package and the Sport/Sport S Max Tow package is the mention of the Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc HD Brakes on the Sport/Sport S Max Tow package. I looked back through the documentation and specifications and I am not seeing a differentiation on the brake systems for the JT so I have to assume based on those data points and the information for the Max Tow package that the Sport/Sport S will actually have bigger brakes than the Rubicon and other models. Hope that helps clear it up a bit.
I thought the Rubicon's come with the "Big Brake" kit which I assume this HD brake package is...…. if not can't wait to see the line for getting hands on these parts.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Hey everyone, exciting news for those of us waiting for the Max Tow group to be available in the Build & Price tool for the Sport and Sport S packages. It is finally up and live on Jeep's website and here are the details from the package. Definitely seems like a great package all around even for those not looking to tow the maximum capacity. You can also add the Trac-Lok Anti-Spin rear differential to the group (sales code: DSA).

Gear Ratios
  • 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio (Sales code: DMF)(Requires Max Tow Package)

Max Tow Package (Sales code: AJQ)
  • 240-Amp Alternator
  • 4.10 Rear Axle Ratio
    • A numerically lower axle ratio results in lower engine rpm and better efficiency. A numerically higher ratio improves acceleration when climbing grades, carrying loads or pulling a trailer.
  • Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc HD Brakes
    • Heavy-duty four-wheel disc antilock brakes are equipped with electronic sensors that help prevent wheel lockup, offering improved steering control under extreme braking or slippery conditions.
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch
    • A frame-mounted Class IV hitch lets you connect a trailer for serious towing.
  • Heavy Duty Dana 44 Wide Front Axle
  • Heavy Duty Dana 44 Wide Rear Axle
  • Daytime Running Lamp System
  • GVW Rating - 6250#
  • Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
  • Molded-In-Color Fender Flares (2-Pc)
  • Trailer Hitch Zoom
    • The ParkView® Rear Back Up Camera[1] provides a wide angle view of the area immediately behind the vehicle when it is shifted into reverse. The display includes dynamic gridlines to aid the driver when maneuvering into parking spaces or narrow areas. It also aids in lining up a trailer to the vehicle's trailer hitch, when so equipped, by allowing the driver to toggle back and forth between the normal view and a 4x zoom mode. The zoom feature is available with the Trailer Tow Package.

1. Always check entire surroundings visually before backing up.
Included are two images of a configured Sport S Max Tow package Gladiator. Note the two piece fender flares and LED marker lamps.

maxtow1.jpg

maxtow2.jpg
I'm confused, it says molded in body color fender flares, but that picture shows black fenders?

brockj

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sport s, 2006 lj rubicon
Are these rims going to be offered and what are they calling them? They look similar to the old moab's.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
I'm confused, it says molded in body color fender flares, but that picture shows black fenders?
Your wording is incorrect. It states molded-in-color which we can assume means they are molded in the final color they will be installed on the vehicle instead of the untextured versions that get painted to match the vehicles body color. The base Rubicon flares come unpainted and textured in a similar fashion and use the same wordage to describe them.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Are these rims going to be offered and what are they calling them? They look similar to the old moab's.
These are the standard 17" Sport S wheels and the only ones available on the Build & Price tool currently. As for the name I am not sure we have seen any documentation on a specific name for the wheel options yet.

NortheastJeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Wrangler
Awesome package release for the JT Sport S. This sways me to believe that a Sport S is the right decision when adding the Max Tow package. There will be so much JT aftermarket mods out there that it'll be a completely different Jeep within the first year! LOL.

Outside of the Electronic sway disconnect and the locking diff in the Rubi, what are the real additional differences? Maybe the price point will creep up to the Rubi price? But even if I save $3K-5K that is a huge justifiable reason to go with the Sport S/Max Tow package.
This.

We all know Jeeps are like legos. So many aftermarket parts there is no way to keep your Jeep to factory specs. Rubi sounds appealing but don’t need all the goodies. Give the max towing packing and I will be good to go.

NortheastJeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Wrangler
Your wording is incorrect. It states molded-in-color which we can assume means they are molded in the final color they will be installed on the vehicle instead of the untextured versions that get painted to match the vehicles body color. The base Rubicon flares come unpainted and textured in a similar fashion and use the same wordage to describe them.
Half of the Jeep owners are known to change their fender flares. I am sure there will be some badass aftermarket fender flares in the near future.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
JT Max Tow has all the important stuff except lockers.

This is the blank canvas! This is the basic badass jeep truck + FREEDOM!!!

If you want to build your own, JT Max Tow is a base for whatever add-ons you choose.

If you want a luxury package, get overland.

If you want loud and proud get rubicon.

For those who spend less, there is the sport, and that's a good truck.

You can option up many ways in all packages, only a few are restricted and that is based on your bank account.

I am happy to discover that the reality is better than the dream. All those years waiting. I'm excited about this.

I'm sure they're adding the winter package to the build tool, so who knows what other goodies before pricing.
Sponsored