Let’s talk Ecodiesel

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I am assuming (I could be wrong) The MOPAR cost at the LA show is for the MOPAR parts only, and does not include anything for the installation labor. I am conservatively estimating the EFW at $7,000, including tax. Again, rots of ruck with your discount. I am betting ppl will be lined up a mile deep trying to score a diesel, and the demand will far outstrip the supply in the first year or two, thus we will see second stickers on the diesel.
Sponsored

bangolia

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
I am assuming (I could be wrong) The MOPAR cost at the LA show is for the MOPAR parts only, and does not include anything for the installation labor. I am conservatively estimating the EFW at $7,000, including tax. Again, rots of ruck with your discount. I am betting ppl will be lined up a mile deep trying to score a diesel, and the demand will far outstrip the supply in the first year or two, thus we will see second stickers on the diesel.
Enjoy your line. I will get a phone call when mine is ready to pick up. If you are nice I can give you a connection who will be able to help you out with that.

Also still have no clue what EFW is... neither does google.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Ok I have watched this circus go on for to long and I can’t bite my tongue anymore. @MOPAR Boy technically speaking I don’t disagree with you, however you are being completely ridiculous. You are even including aftermarket parts in your argument, Mopar has over 200 accessories for the JT. Yeah you can get it over 100k, sure. Have you seen Tanner Foust’s Ford Fiesta? I bet it easy costs more than 100k, but I don’t go around telling people I think a Ford Fiesta is a 100k car.

I know it was an extreme example, so lets try again. I also don’t know anyone who has ever gotten every single possible option on a Jeep and then 2 light bars (which you included in a few of your arguments). If my JT was approaching a 100k I would reconsider the dual aftermarket light bars, it would probably drive fine without them. Seriously I don’t even know anyone who has ever gotten every single option not counting aftermarket. I mean I like most of the packages, but I also prefer cloth to leather, non-body colored hard tops, and most importantly a m/t! There is 5k of savings on my build right there. Hell there are guys on here stoked they still offer a trim with roll up windows.

Can you get a JT over 100k including aftermarket, Absolutely! The way your are presenting it, Absurd!

Tanner’s Fiesta:
upload_2019-3-5_20-32-25.jpeg

Last edited:

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
I never said 2 light bars. MOPAR sells a pair of 5 inch LED lights that mount on the fender corners with the MOPAR bracket, and they have a pair of 7 inch LED lights that mount atop the MOPAR bullbar, that in turn mounts directly above the winch. Yes, I plan to get all options.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
@MOPAR Boy is EFW extended factory warranty?

If so that is a discussion I would like to have. Someone should start a new thread for me, with a poll. Wondering how many people get a EFW extended warranty.

I would have thought Jeep buyers in particular would be more likely to pass on the EFW. Not because of stellar reliability ratings, but I always considered working on your Jeep part of the lifestyle. Not only does it save you money but it helps you learn and understand how your Jeep works. This will lead to better driving techniques as well as how to be resourful enough to rig a repair to get your Jeep back to the pavement.

Not bringing this up for any type of ______ measuring contest, I am by no means a master mechanic. In fact I YouTube everything! I also use phone a friend options, sometimes begging them to come help. However I am getting better, learning lots, and really see the benefits to not having the EFW. Besides I tell my wife that I am saving $ doing it myself and I get to spend the afternoon in the garage with some beers, hopefully a buddy to, win win! Unless the repair stretches into Sunday night, and the wife reminds me she isn’t giving me a ride to work on Monday and my POS Jeep better be working by then. That only happens once, when I was trying to bleed the clutch after replacing the master and slave.

Sponsored

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never said 2 light bars. MOPAR sells a pair of 5 inch LED lights that mount on the fender corners with the MOPAR bracket, and they have a pair of 7 inch LED lights that mount atop the MOPAR bullbar, that in turn mounts directly above the winch. Yes, I plan to get all options.
Ok that still doesn’t mean the mumbo jumbo you are spewing here applies to everyone the way you are implying. I believe you about your 100k JT, more power to you. I am not getting one, but I will have my own JT. Which I gaurentee will be more awesome than yours. I don’t even have to know what your build will be, mine will be better simply because it won’t cost 100k!

Enjoy your stadium lights

upload_2019-3-5_21-8-41.jpeg

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Honestly, DIY self-servicing major mechanical or electrical/electronic failure issues on any modern car in 2019, not to mention one fitted with a diesel engine, is no longer a realistic option. Now, doing a simple oil and filter change, changing out wiper blades, and the like, are fine activities for DIY shade tree mechanics. But, diagnosing and repairing engine, pollution systems, or transmission problems, or trouble shooting, diagnosing and repairing problems with the multiple on-board computer systems, in no way is any longer something that is a realistic DIY option anymore.

IMHO, buying the EFW makes good sense. But, my point is, just like sales tax, most buyers fail to include these warranty extension costs when pricing-up the realistic total bottom line purchase price before they pull out their checkbooks.

You definitely do not want to be shocked in the back room. What you should instead strive for is to be pleasantly surprised when the total cost revealed in the back room is a bit less than what you estimated. Makes the purchase experience a whole lot more fun, too.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You do not want to be shocked in the back room. What you should instead strive for is to be pleasantly surprised when the total cost reveaked in the back room is a bit less than what you estimated. Makes the purchase a whole lot more fun, too.
This part I can 100% agree with.

Still want to hear more from others on the warranty question. I hear you about the complexity of newer models and as you can see in my profile my rides are older. But my most recent repair was u-joints and if I am not mistaken those would be the same on a new truck? I want to know what everyone else thinks on this issue.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I for one rely on recalls to solve real problems...

However, agree EFW debate is thread worthy.

What is standard FW? This thing will have 5 yrs and 50,000 miles standard?

What is EFW? Extended is 10 years or100,000 miles?

I don't get because I'm out of warranty on miles in a couple years, and they never honor warranty anyway, buts that's debatable...

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Honestly, DIY self-servicing major mechanical or electrical/electronic failure issues on any modern car in 2019, not to mention one fitted with a diesel engine, is no longer a realistic option. Now, doing a simple oil and filter change, changing out wiper blades, and the like, are fine activities for DIY shade tree mechanics. But, diagnosing and repairing engine, pollution systems, or transmission problems, or trouble shooting, diagnosing and repairing problems with the multiple on-board computer systems, in no way is any longer something that is a realistic DIY option anymore.

IMHO, buying the EFW makes good sense. But, my point is, just like sales tax, most buyers fail to include these warranty extension costs when pricing-up the realistic total bottom line purchase price before they pull out their checkbooks.

You definitely do not want to be shocked in the back room. What you should instead strive for is to be pleasantly surprised when the total cost revealed in the back room is a bit less than what you estimated. Makes the purchase experience a whole lot more fun, too.
I for one rely on recalls to solve real problems...

However, agree EFW debate is thread worthy.

What is standard FW? This thing will have 5 yrs and 50,000 miles standard?

What is EFW? Extended is 10 years or100,000 miles?

I don't get because I'm out of warranty on miles in a couple years, and they never honor warranty anyway, buts that's debatable...
In college I worked photo/video sales. I loved to sell extended warranties since I got ~25% of the sale price back in my pocket. These are pure profit makers.

Knowing that, as a consumer, I never buy extended warranties. If I look at how much I would have spent on every extended warranty for every electronic device, tool, car, etc., it would far exceed any repairs on all of the items that have failed.

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. That is probably one purchase i wish I would have bought the extended warranty on. The reason...the diesel exhaust system. That has been nothing but problems. While under warranty, I've had several issues with sensors, CELs, having to go to the dealer to do forced regens, etc. Per Jeep's warranty, all of the sensors on the diesel exhaust system are not considered part of the exhaust system but are rather sensors, so fall under the 3 yr/36k warranty, not 8yr/80k emission warranty. Now I'm sitting at 91k miles, continue to have exhaust sensor/system issues. I recently had to change the NOx sensor, and that required another SCR reset/forced regen (luckily found a 3rd party that could do the software reset/regen so I'm no longer held hostage to the overpriced Jeep dealer service). Sometimes after off-roading, I've had to take the vehicle to dealer to force a regen since I'm not driving long enough at freeway speeds when off-road and stuck in limp-home mode. You cannot service the exhaust system on your own, without the WITECH tool, for most of these fixes. Can't wait for the EcoDiesel settlement so I can get another 4yr/48k warranty on the exhaust system, fix the software cheat, and $3k check, then unload the GC to buy a gas Gladiator. Other than the diesel exhaust system, I've loved the EcoDiesel and GC.

I just don't see the advantage of a diesel Gladiator. With the GC, I have much better towing than the V6 (on par with the V8), with better fuel economy. With the JT, towing will be less. I'm not sure the $3k premium that the EcoDiesel will be over the V6 (assuming the same premium there was on the Grand Cherokee) is worth maybe better mileage (depending on what those end up being too) and higher torque. Plus, with all of the problems I've had with the diesel exhaust, I have no desire to have another Jeep diesel again.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Mopy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
You're making my exact point here! I mentioned I am buying the Gladiator diesel, so Yes, EFW is an absolute necessity. I expect it may likely fail, and have many, many major repair issues, so it would be dumb to not go with a 100k/10yr EFW.

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
You're making my exact point here! I mentioned I am buying the Gladiator diesel, so Yes, EFW is an absolute necessity. I expect it may likely fail, and have many, many major repair issues, so it would be dumb to not go with a 100k/10yr EFW.
While the EFW will fix the problem part at no cost, it doesn't make up for time lost while waiting to get it fixed (or in some of my cases waiting for the dealer to get a part before they can even fix it since the dealer didn't stock most diesel exhaust parts), or the pain of being stuck in limp-home mode with a max speed of 15 mph until they can do a forced regen.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
I am so glad somebody else in the world knows about sensors and limpback mode. Those are both primary reasons for NoTech JT. I'd rather pay at the pump.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I agree that an extended warranty is a great idea if you go with the diesel. Not only did the original EcoDiesel have internal engine flaws like the cam sprocket issue, etc. that caused them to lock up and die, but they also used the Bosch CP4 injection pump which is known to be extremely problematic. The CP4 in Duramax and Powerstroke trucks has been said to cost upward of $10,000 to repair when it dies, and it's only a matter of time until it dies.

Diesel is really expensive in more ways than one. Protect yourselves if you make that investment.