MoparDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR manual /2023 ZLE manual /2018 Demon #1399
200.gif

You can't touch a new Raptor or Shelby for MSRP where I am on Long Island NY, even though resale value is tanking like a MoFo.("We only get 1 or 2 per year allocation...BLAH BLAH BLAH...")

I told them to "pound sand"
Sponsored

Last edited:

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
This thread jumped the shark - not sure how far back but this one's...

giphy.gif

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Steve is a great guy!
Steve's mother, Karen, is a big-time quilter and my wife has done the long-arm quilting for Karen for years - they are good friends. Karen is good people so it is no surprise to hear their son is OK.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Dumbo61

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Renegade Trailhawk, 2019 Chevy Bolt
I paid $17595 after incentives for a new 2017 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk. Sold it a week ago to Carmax for $16,500 when I bought my new 2019 Ram 1500 Limited. 12,000 miles. Like the truck but miss my little "Dusty".

Sponsored

Bob502000

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So, I’ve been to a few dealerships with my JT trying to trade it for something bigger. Things changed over the last few months. Sticker was 46900. With max tow and many upgrades from factory, plus a few of my own (lift & wheels). Well they only offered $36-$38k. Only has 8k miles. My concern is do you guys think that these will hold value like the JKs and below. Or keep dropping considerably and crash. I Thought I was going to have good equity because they game me good trade on my jku. But guess I lost that money for not.
Buying auto's is in our blood but a bad move financially, regardless of what brand they are.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Vehicles are never an investment. I'm not worried. Right now Silver is low, so I would advise investing in that.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Vehicles are never an investment. I'm not worried. Right now Silver is low, so I would advise investing in that.
Brings back memories of the Hunt brothers that tried to corner the silver market.

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I always argue that a vehicle purchase can be interpreted as an investment if it yields more of its good fruit more than another vehicle yields its bad fruit. If it changes your life for the better such that you start to make more money as a indirect consequence, or if you love it so much that you maintain it well and keep the vehicle forever, then it can be seen as a vehicle that again indirectly causes you to save money in the future (because you're not buying another vehicle to replace it). There are countless what ifs, drawing a line in the sand on what an investment is isn't practical. Every investment costs a price and yields its own fruit. A vehicle just doesn't always yield fruit in the form of money. Luckily Jeeps yield so many smiles per gallon and rubis will retain their value, no doubt. Trucks are becoming overall less common, so used truck buyers are going to find it easy to buy one of the most capable trucks of its time.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
And guys in the classic car hobby know this, too. You do it for the fun or pleasure of it. Not to make a killing or get anything back.
I bought a car for 13K in 2005. Sold it for 25K cash this fall. Ah, but you have no idea the money, time, etc. that went into it.
Check out those guys that sell their Mustangs, 'Cudas and so on at the B-J auction - how many of them make a dime after the fees and all they have sunk into the cars. I know of a top level 70 AMX that was a no holds barred total perfect restoration that got perfect points where-ever it went - my friend sold it, almost got back what he had in it. The next guy kept it a year and sold it at auction for a 10 grand loss.
My SX4 is a 10K car (likely the top/most expensive one ever valued - good ones typically go for 5 or 6) and I have over 20 in it.
The benefit is in owning and driving, not in padding your retirement fund.

Only the experts ever come out - and then not all the time. Markets fluctuate, other stuff happens.

Sponsored

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
The JT has value to me, as I use it to tow my off road trailer to places no trailers should be. The purchase of this truck was an investment in me, and my family. Probably one of the best investments I've made in years (besides the silver) ha ha.
Here's the family with me on the Rubicon Trail last Oct in CA. "Priceless" because I never would have gone without the purchase of this JT.
upload_2019-12-31_8-32-47.png

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly...they're expenses...that said many people want to mitigate those expenses with vehicles that hold their value because they sell them...which is also fair.

Me...doesn't matter to me at all because I keep all my Jeeps. Their resale is irrelevant to me. I've always said I don't even care if the Gladiator was a "1 and done" year model so long as I got one, lol.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The JT has value to me, as I use it to tow my off road trailer to places no trailers should be. The purchase of this truck was an investment in me, and my family. Probably one of the best investments I've made in years (besides the silver) ha ha.
Here's the family with me on the Rubicon Trail last Oct in CA. "Priceless" because I never would have gone without the purchase of this JT.
upload_2019-12-31_8-32-47.png
Exactly. Can't put a value on that.
Unfortunately there's no places around here to use such a vehicle in that way - have to drive for hours to find anything with wilderness you can drive into or through. But looking forward to a big car show in June in Colorado Springs and have hopes of at least removing freedom panels once out there (won't have a place to stow roof so that will have to stay one)

>>many people want to mitigate those expenses with vehicles that hold their value because they sell them...which is also fair.<<

Very true, but to expect a minimal loss within a few weeks isn't likely to happen. The worst drop for any vehicle is normally the first weeks or months. When you can go get one with 15 miles on it, full 100% new, at times for what one may have paid for theirs, not very realistic. Especially in the first months of production.
If they were complaining in August 2020 about crappy resale, that's different. But you can still get NEW 2020 model year below MSRP, below invoice if you care to shop around so expect heavy loss - which will likely subside as time goes on.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I’ve always negotiated based on cash price and sold the vehicle being replaced separately or more recently taken a purchase offer from car max and demanded that they beat the price by $750.
This removes all tricks from the equation.

I also tend to bring a $100 bill for the GSM and one for the salesperson.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve always negotiated based on cash price and sold the vehicle being replaced separately or more recently taken a purchase offer from car max and demanded that they beat the price by $750.
This removes all tricks from the equation.

I also tend to bring a $100 bill for the GSM and one for the salesperson.
carmax and kbb offers on my Silverado were laughable jokes, hysterical. The local Chevy dealer beat both by 6 grand. I couldn't believe how stupid the online bids from carmax and the kbb "offer" were. Not even within a grand of the lowest of the low trade-in values listed in three places had my truck been high miles or a junker.
I had people suggest car max - but after this, I won't even mess with them.
Come on - when a dealer looks at the truck for like 1 or 2 minutes and cuts me a check 6K higher than carmax which was thousands lower than the bad conditions estimates I was getting for my excellent low miles truck?
If I had told the dealer I wanted the car max number beat by 750 I'd been screwed even worse. That would have had them offering me a couple grand less than they did, which was also a joke and why I sold the trade-in myself for a lot more)

I agree - won't mess with 'em when they start talking "well we can get you under xxx a month by doing....." right - I want bottom line, not monthly payments and from now on my wife and I agree, don't even talk financing, show the bottom line and skip the magic card tricks with payments.
Sponsored