Sponsored

Hummer Electric Pickup first look. Are we missing an electric Gladiator?

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
we can go about 30 miles of normal driving in the summer, only like 24 miles in the winter (just a guess).

i'm guessing the plug in wrangler and gladiator will be based off the same hybrid setup as the Pacifica. They either gotta make the pack bigger, more efficient, or it won't get that great of mileage, but either way, if i could get 20miles on a charge, that would take care of most days for me.
And keep in mind they don't lose efficiency at slow speeds, 20-30 miles of crawling off road is basically the entire 2-3 day Rubicon trail.
Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
And keep in mind they don't lose efficiency at slow speeds, 20-30 miles of crawling off road is basically the entire 2-3 day Rubicon trail.
I'm sure they could boost the generate in crawl mode too, to make you use hardly any brake at all...... Actually for all I know it already does that.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
I do not think there is a full understanding about electric car basics from some. Just having the electric car in the on position your driving range starts to go down moving or not, driving 30mi in stop and go traffic can use the same amount of energy as traveling 100mi on the open road which means if the car has an advertised range of 300mi you have used one third of your range going only 30mi. It parallels if you have a gas car your going to use more fuel in stop and go traffic. I forgot the number but a Tesla tech during a service, (yes moving parts need to be greased and oiled) that the Tesla has 200-300? computers those along with the four instant go motors take a lot of juice. A 4x4 truck is going to be no different and in fact could use more battery then the high performance Tesla S.

Until technical advances are made i do not see the purpose of an all electric off road 4x4 truck unless you just want to say you have an electric truck and drive it around town.

I like electric cars and have been driving them for over a decade, for me a full electric truck would have to have an advertised mileage range of 500mi. and a charging station near by.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I know a woman who drives a Tesla S. She gave me a ride in it and, good golly, it's a street terror. Her car has 400 foot pounds of torque at all 4 wheels at 0 RPM. She can blow the doors off pretty much everything on the street to include the newest Corvettes. Furthermore, she said her Tesla can easily go 300 miles on a full charge. But that's only if she keep her foot out of it which she never does. She can't help but humiliate Corvette drivers with her blue, 4-door sedan.

So, the potential for a higher range, electric truck is there. Right now it's probably a matter of cost/benefit.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I know a woman who drives a Tesla S. She gave me a ride in it and, good golly, it's a street terror. Her car has 400 foot pounds of torque at all 4 wheels at 0 RPM. She can blow the doors off pretty much everything on the street to include the newest Corvettes. Furthermore, she said her Tesla can easily go 300 miles on a full charge. But that's only if she keep her foot out of it which she never does. She can't help but humiliate Corvette drivers with her blue, 4-door sedan.

So, the potential for a higher range, electric truck is there. Right now it's probably a matter of cost/benefit.
I have the same Tesla and i have it solely for the fun factor. I would never buy one i lease, repairs and parts cost are out of this world, i had one of the four motors go bad 27k, a battery pack failed after eight months 9k plus a 1k hazmat charge, climate control computer failed 6k thank god i was leasing and had the warranty, the issues were not on the same car.

Sponsored

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Willys Wagon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
When an electric bill doubles you realize your not saving anything, gas or electric they both want your money.
When we got our first EV, our electric bill went up$50/month. Our gas bill (six month average) went down $260/month. It was basically a free car and really fun to drive. YMMV.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
When we got our first EV, our electric bill went up$50/month. Our gas bill (six month average) went down $260/month. It was basically a free car and really fun to drive. YMMV.
i was confused for 37 seconds.......I was like, WTF, why would their Natural Gas bill go down?

lol, gasoline! check.......

We replaced our dodge grand caravan that got 13mpg, for the pacifica that gets like 26.

Doubled the mileage and cost of electricity per mile is 1/2 for us. I gotta do maths now.

EDIT:
Okay, rough estimates and aired on the side of conservative for MPG and EV miles. Pacifica almost is 1/2 cost per year for just the miles. Doesn't include maintenance, socio/economic costs to polluting the earth, carbon footprinting or the like.

upload_2020-2-3_12-28-24.png

Last edited:

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
I do not think there is a full understanding about electric car basics from some. Just having the electric car in the on position your driving range starts to go down moving or not, driving 30mi in stop and go traffic can use the same amount of energy as traveling 100mi on the open road which means if the car has an advertised range of 300mi you have used one third of your range going only 30mi. It parallels if you have a gas car your going to use more fuel in stop and go traffic. I forgot the number but a Tesla tech during a service, (yes moving parts need to be greased and oiled) that the Tesla has 200-300? computers those along with the four instant go motors take a lot of juice. A 4x4 truck is going to be no different and in fact could use more battery then the high performance Tesla S.

Until technical advances are made i do not see the purpose of an all electric off road 4x4 truck unless you just want to say you have an electric truck and drive it around town.

I like electric cars and have been driving them for over a decade, for me a full electric truck would have to have an advertised mileage range of 500mi. and a charging station near by.
This is not correct, especially if you're not running climate control. It will not use anywhere near 3x the energy in stop and go, it uses less than highway driving due to no wind resistance to overcome, but that's offset by having to run the control electronics and obc. Given even a normal automotive battery can generally run the on board computers and control electronics for a few hours, the hit to a 60+kwh battery will be very small. That's why hybrids and electrics and the like actually get higher mileage in stop and go vs highway, not lower.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I really don't understand the appeal of these EVs. The range is limited. The number of charging stations is extremely limited. The ability to haul/tow/go offroad is also limited. What's the point?

What do you do if you're in a traffic jamb on the interstate for hours? There are gas stations every few miles and zero charging stations. What do you do when it breaks down on vacation and there's nobody around who can work on it? TFL recently found out the hard way that you can't find anyone qualified to work on them. I just don't get it.

If your only trips are in town to get groceries or take the kids to soccer practice, OK, maybe. But in terms of the average driver I don't see how on earth it would work.

And I won't even get into the negative environmental impact and how if you run the numbers you'll find that it takes up to 8 years just to break even on emissions because simply manufacturing EVs is one of the dirtiest activities mankind has ever come up with.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
If your only trips are in town to get groceries or take the kids to soccer practice, OK, maybe. But in terms of the average driver I don't see how on earth it would work.
That is the average driver these days.

Sponsored

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Willys Wagon, 1982 Jeep Scrambler CJ8
This is not correct, especially if you're not running climate control. It will not use anywhere near 3x the energy in stop and go, it uses less than highway driving due to no wind resistance to overcome, but that's offset by having to run the control electronics and obc. Given even a normal automotive battery can generally run the on board computers and control electronics for a few hours, the hit to a 60+kwh battery will be very small. That's why hybrids and electrics and the like actually get higher mileage in stop and go vs highway, not lower.
I agree. To your point, the regenerative braking (which spins the electric motor backwards) in EVs recaptures a ton of energy. In many EVs, the driver can adjust the level of regenerative braking based on preference. I really like it.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree. To your point, the regenerative braking (which spins the electric motor backwards) in EVs recaptures a ton of energy. In many EVs, the driver can adjust the level of regenerative braking based on preference. I really like it.
ooh, you're right, i should up that on our van!

i had never driven a hybrid before test driving for 15 miles a pacifica, and holy cow, they did an awesome job making the brakes, feel like NORMAL brakes. also the electric to hybrid transition is so smooth. I'm not ready for an EV, but hybrids with big batteries are awesome.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I have the same Tesla and i have it solely for the fun factor. I would never buy one i lease, repairs and parts cost are out of this world, i had one of the four motors go bad 27k, a battery pack failed after eight months 9k plus a 1k hazmat charge, climate control computer failed 6k thank god i was leasing and had the warranty, the issues were not on the same car.
Resale value also has to accounted for. If 2 otherwise identical vehicles are compared and the electric vehicle has less resale value, the loss of value has to be applied when comparing cost. (I am totally speculating that the electric vehicle might have greater depreciation due to the fear of needing expensive EV repair/replace items which are not under warranty.)

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Resale value also has to accounted for. If 2 otherwise identical vehicles are compared and the electric vehicle has less resale value, the loss of value has to be applied when comparing cost. (I am totally speculating that the electric vehicle might have greater depreciation due to the fear of needing expensive EV repair/replace items which are not under warranty.)
not if I just stick my head in the sand and cross my fingers that it'll be all okay. =)

i'm hoping to keep the van for a long long time. Time will tell if I get burned on this purchase.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Whats your experience with an all EV car?? Why is it that someone with zero experience posts what they think as fact?? Spend two hours on the 405 in stop and go then tell me how much range is left for a full performance car before a charge is needed, there are several ways to calculate range before charging is necessary not just recommended. The car will turn off some functions deemed not necessary to extend range, it`s no fun limping into a charging station.
Sponsored