Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ap-source-detroit-automakers-shut-factories-69666401

Detroit automakers to shut down factories

March 18, 2020

Detroit -- Detroit's three automakers have agreed to close all of their factories due to worker fears about the coronavirus, two people briefed on the matter said Wednesday.

Automakers are expected to release details of the closure later in the day. The United Auto Workers union has been pushing for factories to close because workers are fearful of coming into contact with the virus.

The people didn't want to be identified because the closures have not been formally announced.

The decision reverses a deal worked out late Tuesday in which the automakers would cancel some shifts so they could thoroughly cleanse equipment and buildings, but keep factories open. But workers, especially at some Fiat Chrysler factories, were still fearful and were pressuring the union to seek full closures.

Fiat Chrysler temporarily closed a factory in Sterling Heights, Michigan, north of Detroit after workers were concerned about the virus. The company said a plant worker tested positive for the coronavirus but had not been to work in over a week. One shift was sent home Tuesday night and the plant was cleaned. But that apparently didn't satisfy workers, and two more shifts were canceled on Wednesday.

Under an agreement reached with the union, companies will monitor the situation weekly to decide if the plants can reopen, one of the people said.

Honda Motor Co. announced Wednesday that it will temporarily close its North American factories for about one week starting on Monday.

The move by General Motors, Fiat Chrysler and Ford will idle about 150,000 auto workers. They likely will receive supplemental pay in addition to state unemployment benefits. The two checks combined will about equal what the workers normally make.

Automakers have resisted closing factories largely because they book revenue when vehicles are shipped from factories to dealerships. So without production, revenue dries up. Each company has other reasons to stay open as well. Ford, for instance, is building up F-150 pickup inventory because its plants will have to go out of service later this year to be retooled for an all-new model.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well... I already got mine, so........ :dance:

But that does suck for those on order, or were waiting to get one.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Ouch. Really glad I ordered in November when I "didn't need the JT" instead of in February like I had considered to be ready for the spring/summer. Glad to see the workers will be taken care of.

Sponsored

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind we will all be affected by this. UAW supplies workers to a lot of the parts facilities as well, so when stuff breaks and we can't get parts..

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Keep in mind we will all be affected by this. UAW supplies workers to a lot of the parts facilities as well, so when stuff breaks and we can't get parts..
Guessing this will include the mythical Mopar Brake controller as well? lol

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Just got off chat with Jeep. No closure. They have all updates on their wedsite. Media.fcanothamerica.com

Blknblu

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Viper, 1968 Coronet R/T, 2011 Mopar 11. 2020 Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
i had one slated to be built 4 weeks ago, but was held back from the manual transmission. nothing but bad luck for my purchase, but understand and am not upset at all.

Bruce

TheITGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2021 Toyota Rav4 Limit

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)