Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Some JL owners have reported that a fuse pull (and reinsert) technique may help cure some steering issues such as dead spot, loose steering, pulling, etc.

Link to original post at JL Wrangler Forums: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1132084

Here are the steps to take:

Updated Fuse Technique

Some have reported this fixed a few different steering issues such as the dead spot, loose steering, pulling, etc.

1. With the JL off, remove F34 power steering fuse.

2. Start the JL, notice no power steering by turning the steering wheel and dash message error appears. Do not drive it.

3. Turn off engine. Open driver door and close it so it completely turns off all dash lights. Let it sit for at least 5 minutes so all electronics fully discharge.

4. Reinsert F34 fuse, start engine, immediately turn steering wheel full left, full right, turn to center, turn engine off. Restart and take for a test drive.

Give the technique a try and let us know if it worked for you.
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It's worth a try. Is there a brain in the steering box that this procedure resets?

Sponsored

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
LOL ... I think this is more psychosomatic! Modern car electronics just dont work like this!

But hay, if it worked for you ... (checking its not 1st April)

redrider

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 truck 5 motorcycles
Seriously though. Could it be a cavitation issue? Fluid viscosity? Ambient temperature? Fluid reservoir level? Air pockets? The engine mounted PS pumps changed rpm with the engine. Is the electric pump constant velocity/pressure?

Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
LOL ... I think this is more psychosomatic! Modern car electronics just dont work like this!
So rebooting your computer never fixed an issue you were having? He's proposing a capacitive discharge which is basically a reboot of the electronic power steering. It certainly can't hurt. If it's ultimately a mechanical issue though, this will do nothing.

ZTMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150, 2016 JKU WW
Make sure the chicken bone is in your left pocket and thee eye of newt is in the left shoe.

Benny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2008 JK, 2020 Gladiator
My steering is sloppy compared to my wife's '20 JL. Coming from a 4" long arm lifted JK to a stock Rubicon I didn't really notice it at first. Lol.

I work with control systems, sensors, and logic circuits in the crane industry. I've dealt with having to calibrate directional control systems which is very similar to what's being described here. However, those systems don't have a mechanical link from input to controls like the steering shaft and gearbox on the Jeep.

I'll give this a try this weekend and report back.
Sponsored