mtpilatus

mtpilatus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon
Ugh... Mouser lists SOME of them, has some in stock, and then has a MOQ of 5000 on these... need to keep looking...

Amphenol and Molex also make fakra connectors.

coax cable should be RG-174

Should also be able to cross reference a different manufacturer based on the Mouser data sheets and these reference pics:

Jeep Gladiator Factory trail camera install? FAKRA-Keying-Options-erf_636585470406084092

Jeep Gladiator Factory trail camera install? FAKRA-Keying-Options-erf_636585470406084092
Thank you. I have the amphenol number, hope to be able to cross reference it.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks, yeah... but I think the point is to use / install the OEM equipment.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, yeah... but I think the point is to use / install the OEM equipment.
That would be cool. To have HD and the spray nozzle.

Sponsored

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
hello all
i am back from my summer trips and started teaching last week. During the summer, i was in Georgia at a friends house who is a software engineer. i explained and showed him what i have and he confirmed my thought that the problem is a software issue with the cameras not working. we believe the software for the radio and the Body control module is the basic software not the software that is used to handle the CVPM. i have been in contact will the dealership/tech about my front camera setup and they agree with me on this point. what we are going to do is download the new software for both the radio and the BCM and do a complete hard reboot of the system to bring everything up. with school starting and my students back in class Monday thru Thursday, i plan on doing this software change by the end of the month on a Friday afternoon. i will keep you informed. it is interesting that as of July ordering, you can have the trail cam installed on the overland.
I stumbled across this thread while searching for some different CVPM part numbers, so figured I’d join and chime in. I’m surprised I haven’t seen AlfaOBD mentioned yet, and that is what you’re probably going to ultimately end up needing to get everything enabled. This is what we use to add the factory surround view system to the 5th gen Rams (and all other factory features that get added after the fact), so the settings that need to be enabled in the BCM are there in the list on AlfaOBD. I saw you mention the dealer may have added the sales code, and it didn’t work? I’m assuming they added sales code XNY. If so, did they run the CVPM calibration procedure? Was your vehicle configuration properly restored after adding the sales code, and does your VIN configuration build now reflect that it has sales code XNY? Do you have the trail camera soft key in the radio now?

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
Jimmy07
good evening Sir.
the sales code XNY has been added to the vehicle by Jeep. the problem the Tech had was that he could see the CVMP, but was unable to bring it up. as to the soft keys, i do not have them. matter of fact, i lost the rear camera and have not been able to get it back. I am seeing a few others that are trying this idea. so hopefully one of us will brake the code and make it work. if you have any ideas that can help please let me know. the picture attached is where i am at.the idea of AlfaOBD is something that i have read about, but not too sure how it works with the cameras

Jeep Gladiator Factory trail camera install? 20200706_170528

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Membrain
if you go to post 53 you will find out what i have done and i am still working out the bugs.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jimmy07
good evening Sir.
the sales code XNY has been added to the vehicle by Jeep. the problem the Tech had was that he could see the CVMP, but was unable to bring it up. as to the soft keys, i do not have them. matter of fact, i lost the rear camera and have not been able to get it back. I am seeing a few others that are trying this idea. so hopefully one of us will brake the code and make it work. if you have any ideas that can help please let me know. the picture attached is where i am at.the idea of AlfaOBD is something that i have read about, but not too sure how it works with the cameras

Jeep Gladiator Factory trail camera install? 20200706_170528
I’m surprised FCA allowed the sales code to be added to your VIN build. When you say the tech was able to see the CVPM, I’m assuming he was seeing it on the architecture screen, like this-
cgDIuRg.jpg

If so, do you happen to know what color it was (blue, red, or gold)? It almost seems as if some of the BCM settings changes associated with the sales code took, but failed as a whole when they restored the vehicle configuration. I’m not sure by your pic if you brought the rear cam up with the soft key, but if you put the vehicle in reverse, do you get that same black screen, or a blue screen, or zero reaction on the radio at all as if the rear camera option didn’t exist?

I definitely don’t believe the software in the BCM is the issue, because there is only one BCM part number for all JTs that contain the same firmware. You just need to enable all the correct settings in the BCM with AlfaOBD. These are some of them I weeded out, but I’ll have to compare some configurations to find them all-
1ri8KMY.jpg
mkJRaSe.jpg
awts2vN.jpg

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jimmy07
the picture is when i go into reverse. yes, he was able to see the architecture screen. however, he was not sure what to do from there. as to the color of the CVPM, i do not remember because that was in June. i was able to get Jeep to authorize it because the service manager and the jeep rep are very good friends. i am going to set up an appointment for later this month to try again. would you have a problem if i contacted you and picked your brain for a few minutes?

Sponsored

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jimmy07
the picture is when i go into reverse. yes, he was able to see the architecture screen. however, he was not sure what to do from there. as to the color of the CVPM, i do not remember because that was in June. i was able to get Jeep to authorize it because the service manager and the jeep rep are very good friends. i am going to set up an appointment for later this month to try again. would you have a problem if i contacted you and picked your brain for a few minutes?
No problem. I sent you a PM.

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve been working with @bryanklay on getting all the BCM settings enabled, and we’re getting close-
EXWOWFR.jpg

I also realized in the process that a different rear camera is required for the CVPM system-
dlD5mB0.jpg

This is all being enabled using AlfaOBD, which is a far more powerful tool than jscan or tazer. I was finally able to find, and pull a BCM configuration from a factory equipped integrated trail cam JT today to determine the full list of settings needed to change. We are hung up on two things, though- the front camera washer, and a U0002 fault in the BCM (CAN C off performance). The front camera washer can be forced on using the AlfaOBD software, but not with the clean camera soft key. The windshield washer is also not functioning unless we disable a setting that is actually supposed to be enabled for everything to work. Bryan is going to make a few more settings tweaks, and see what happens with the fault, and we’ll go from there. If it comes down to it with the washer not working, I might have to seek out someone with a factory functioning trail cam system and sniff out some messages being sent, and see where they are going wrong/stopping on Bryan’s. Looking for feedback or thoughts on the washer debacle if anyone has any ideas to throw out there. Other than that, once Bryan gets the correct rear camera installed, and the actual camera part of the system is fully functional, I’ll do a new detailed writeup for everything in a new thread. That way all the info is in one spot in the first three or four posts, instead of spread out all over this thread, as this is more of a discovery phase thread. I’ll also include details how to build the the CVPM harness as a stand-alone, and links to preassembled fakra Z coax cables that are far cheaper than factory, or trying to source all the different keyed fakra connectors.

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
good evening all
after doing the minor changes to my overland, per Jimmy07's request i was able to have the front camera and windshield washer motor work properly. this was done by changing the off road present switch from off to on. it has been a pleasure working with Jimmy07 to complete this project. i ordered the rear camera and a wiring harness for the tailgate and they should be in next Friday. at which time this project will be completed. after working with the ALPHAOBD software, i would highly recommend obtaining this especially if you have the J-scan software. this is because the ALPHAOBD uses the same hardware as the J-Scan.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Well, here's my .02 update:

I paid for a short subscription to MOPAR Tech Authority which gave me access to the wiring diagrams allowing me to check wiring connections from the camera and washer fluid reservoir to the BCM and MCVP. I researched a VIN that had every package the same as my vehicle as well as the front/trail cam which mine does not. This allowed me to see the respective wiring connections.
It also allowed me to order quite a few OEM and 3rd party components without worry,
(I know some of what I've ordered is redundant):

SCREW. Heat Shield Attach.
PUSH NUT. Export.
NOZZLE. WINDSHIELD WASHER.
BRACKET. CAMERA.
GRILLE. Texture. Honeycomb.
HOSE. Washer. Body.
HOSE. Washer. Body.
CAMERA.
WIRING, Camera Coax
Washer, Windshield Pump, reversible
Adapter RG-174 COAX (MOPAR Technician Coax kit with Male & Female "Z" types on both ends for troubleshooting video issues, also comes with Male/Male and Female/Female gender changer jumpers)
HOSE, Window Washer, Front Jumper
HOSE, Washer Body
WIRING, Jumper, washer/level sensor (just in case I damage my existing one)
GROMMET, Windshield Washer Pump
GROMMET, Washer Level Sensor
Custom ordered 218 in. length of RG-174 with a straight "A" on one end, and 90 degree angle "Z" on the other (intend to run it directly from front camera to the MCVP)
5 each 90 degree RG-174 "Z" connectors (extras!) ("N" type 90 degree connectors are hard to find)
10 each straight male RG-174 "A" connectors (extras!)
10 each straight female RG-174 "A" connectors (extras!)
Pin crimper tool
K727 positioner for RG-174 pins
3m length of RG-174 with a straight Male & Female "A" on each end (extra!)
4m length of RG-174 with a straight Male & Female "A" on each end (extra!)
5m length of RG-174 with a straight Male & Female "A" on each end (extra!)

I have also obtained the AlfaOBD for additional troubleshooting the trail camera installation, but still intend to have the dealer perform a proper flash. If the dealer flash fails, then I will fall back on to the AlfaOBD method.

Last edited:

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Membrain
one thing to note with going to the dealership is they may not be able to help you because the vehicle did not come with the sales code of XNY attached to the vehicle. that was my biggest problem. even with the sales code placed on my jeep, they were not able to activate the system. the other part that you will need to order is the rear camera. that is because the camera we have for the back is not the same for the integrated off-road system. jimmy and i found that out over the weekend. because you are making a list of all the parts you are obtaining, would you add to that list where you obtained them and the price. this would help those that are looking at doing this project.
Sponsored