Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I've not read all 8 pages of this - but wonder........ since I have a front receiver and use my JT to maneuver and park my flatbed (limited turning-around spaced by my shop) I wonder - would this help when trying to hitch up my trailer on the FRONT?
I can hook up in one easy move with the rear camera, but hooking to the front receiver reminds me of the old days of having to jump in and out of the truck to make sure I get lined up and don't smash the trailer tongue into the bumper or license plate or worse.

So, would one of these trail cams do squat for me hooking up to the front hitch??

Jeep Gladiator Factory trail camera install? 20200917_110122_HDR

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
i believe it would work for you Shadowspapa.

bryanklay

First Name
bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ford bronco, 2020 jeep gladiator overland
Occupation
Retired C-141/C-130 FE. now, 9th grade math instr
Jimmy007
Sir,
that other thread is perfect.
Bryan K Lay

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I've not read all 8 pages of this - but wonder........ since I have a front receiver and use my JT to maneuver and park my flatbed (limited turning-around spaced by my shop) I wonder - would this help when trying to hitch up my trailer on the FRONT?
I can hook up in one easy move with the rear camera, but hooking to the front receiver reminds me of the old days of having to jump in and out of the truck to make sure I get lined up and don't smash the trailer tongue into the bumper or license plate or worse.

So, would one of these trail cams do squat for me hooking up to the front hitch??

Jeep Gladiator Factory trail camera install? 20200917_110122_HDR
I think it would, but you might need to play around with positioning some since it really isn't the intended purpose of it. The quality of the feed for the front cam is also a lower resolution.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looking over the install process, the fact you have to replace so much wiring, even replace the rear camera, I may try to figure something else out. It's for occasional use, 5 or 10 minutes at a time a few times a year so the complexity of rewiring the truck may not be worth it.

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Looking over the install process, the fact you have to replace so much wiring, even replace the rear camera, I may try to figure something else out. It's for occasional use, 5 or 10 minutes at a time a few times a year so the complexity of rewiring the truck may not be worth it.
The Zautomotive front camera is much easier to install than trying to wire in a factory unit. The drawback is that it is a SD camera instead of HD and gets connected in the cargo camera position. If they would provide a T harness, so you didn't have to mess with the factory connector pins, I would definitely buy one.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That would be nice - those GPS things dealers install have a t harness and piggyback into the OBD connector - simply plug it into the connector and it's in. These could do that as well.
I just need something to help line up the trailer to the front hitch, and even parking in really tight spots like my garage or shop. I have to get things REALLY close sometimes.
As least there's the Zautomotive camera as an option.

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
good evening all
after doing the minor changes to my overland, per Jimmy07's request i was able to have the front camera and windshield washer motor work properly. this was done by changing the off road present switch from off to on. it has been a pleasure working with Jimmy07 to complete this project. i ordered the rear camera and a wiring harness for the tailgate and they should be in next Friday. at which time this project will be completed. after working with the ALPHAOBD software, i would highly recommend obtaining this especially if you have the J-scan software. this is because the ALPHAOBD uses the same hardware as the J-Scan.
So, having seen a list of many rear camera part numbers, how do we know which rear camera we need?

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
So, having seen a list of many rear camera part numbers, how do we know which rear camera we need?
The camera part numbers listed in my write-up are all the same camera required for the integrated camera, just different body colors as I noted next to the part numbers. You would choose the one that is the same color as your JT.

Sponsored

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer

b-roc

First Name
Broc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM
@Jimmy07 @bryanklay Nice work on figuring this out! I have a build that includes the forward facing camera. I am also interested in adding a third camera that I would attach to the back of my trailer for occasional towing. The easiest solution that I can imagine is a gopro transmitting to a tablet or phone in the cab --> attach an RCA adapter to the device --> connect the rca cable to the rca to pin breakout cable portion of the zautomotive harness for their forward kit --> use the cargo camera softkey for the trailer

My questions are
1) during your AlfaOBD adjustments, did you see a configuration where 3 cameras were possible (forward, rear, and cargo) (i.e. is my idea likely to work)

2) If this can't/won't work, is it possible to add an additional camera input to the CVMP?

p.s. - If this is possible, I will break the remainder of this work out into a new thread (to avoid hijacking) ... it will be a while though while I await delivery of my gladiator ... just trying to spend my upgrade money before I have to deal with payments! :)

Jimmy07

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 2500 2019 Jeep Cherokee
@Jimmy07 @bryanklay Nice work on figuring this out! I have a build that includes the forward facing camera. I am also interested in adding a third camera that I would attach to the back of my trailer for occasional towing. The easiest solution that I can imagine is a gopro transmitting to a tablet or phone in the cab --> attach an RCA adapter to the device --> connect the rca cable to the rca to pin breakout cable portion of the zautomotive harness for their forward kit --> use the cargo camera softkey for the trailer

My questions are
1) during your AlfaOBD adjustments, did you see a configuration where 3 cameras were possible (forward, rear, and cargo) (i.e. is my idea likely to work)

2) If this can't/won't work, is it possible to add an additional camera input to the CVMP?

p.s. - If this is possible, I will break the remainder of this work out into a new thread (to avoid hijacking) ... it will be a while though while I await delivery of my gladiator ... just trying to spend my upgrade money before I have to deal with payments! :)
1) I believe you can get a possible 3 cameras without the CVPM. Your existing backup camera, a camera using the CHMSL cam input, and a camera using the aux/trailer camera input that the Ram uses.
2)The JT CVPM has 4 camera inputs- front, rear, and sides. I’m guessing you would enable the BCM settings for surround view to utilize all the camera inputs on that CVPM. You would still have the cargo cam and aux cam inputs available to enable for a total of 6 cameras.
I don’t have a JT to test this all out on, but I’m fairly confident the above two scenarios would work.

RLB99

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
VP/IT Manager
If ya'll can find the parts, the Tazer JL mini device allows you to enable and disable the front and rear cameras.
From what I've seen it will also unlock a 3rd "Cargo" cam.

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
i found that you have to have the LED lighting system
@bryanklay My parts are on the way - are you sure about this one?

Also, great thread with discovery of everything. Now that you're done, would you agree that total interior dismantling is not necessary? I plan on just following the outer sills for everything. Obviously you have to get to the back wall of the interior, remove sub etc. I just can't see why front seats and console need removed. I see why they would be during your awesome discovery journey though - you did the work for us! Thanks so much. From Jimmy's thread it seems this is the outline now:

1. Get parts

2. Build CAN bus and CVPM harness or pay @Jimmy07 to make it for you which is what I did

3. Install CVPM

4. Connect CVPM harness to CVPM and connect:
a) Ground wire
b) CAN connector on driver side rear wall connection block
c) Fused power wire through firewall, tapped onto ignition on source

5. Replace rear camera, and connect it with 1 meter FAKRA cable ( different than existing jumper )

6. Disconnect 8.4 headunit camera input connection from previous rear cable near front passenger sill. FAKRA Jumper existing rear camera cable that WAS connected to 8.4 back to CVPM rear camera input.

7. Connect CVPM output to that 8.4 connection you pulled apart from the rear camera in front passenger sill using FAKRA cable.

8. Route FAKRA cable from CVPM front cam input along passenger sill, through firewall, along passenger fender, and to front camera location.

9. Install all of the engine compartment stuff - front trail camera itself, washer pump, hoses, camera grille mount etc.

10. Using AlfaOBD, perform the myriad of settings changes outlined by @Jimmy07

Hopefully the parts show soon. I'll take some pics and post my own thoughts.
Sponsored

Last edited: