Sponsored

Aftermarket air intake system recommendations?

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Unless you get an engine swap or a supercharger none of these engine mods will do much. Buy your intake but get it used don’t pay full price. I just bought a K&N one for 200 because I want it period. I like how it sounds and I know it’s not going to do anything for my MPG, to be honest it’s probably going to hurt my MPG because I’m going to be hitting the throttle just to hear it lol. These Jeeps were never meant to be fast and never meant to be great on gas. They are the least aerodynamic vehicles out there and are meant to be fun. If you bought a JT for speed or to save on gas... you bought the wrong vehicle.
Sponsored

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
As a vehicle that will go offroad and see dusty conditions, the ability of the air filter to keep the air clean is my number 1 concern. No way would I use an oiled-type filter on my JT - I don't want to wear out the engine that quickly. FCA did a good job with the original filter and housing - so far I've not seen any evidence of dirt/dust making it around the filter (but I've only had it since June).

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
As a vehicle that will go offroad and see dusty conditions, the ability of the air filter to keep the air clean is my number 1 concern. No way would I use an oiled-type filter on my JT - I don't want to wear out the engine that quickly. FCA did a good job with the original filter and housing - so far I've not seen any evidence of dirt/dust making it around the filter (but I've only had it since June).
https://www.knfilters.com/22-8034pk...MIv8aT-czX7AIVex-tBh1iRwmuEAQYASABEgKLq_D_BwE

I used something similar to this when I had my JK and knew I was going somewhere that there was fine dust and it worked flawlessly, filter was clean AF and this was covered in dust.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Years ago I read a thread about a GC owner who was denied an engine warranty claim due to a 3rd party CAI being installed - the dealer claimed it 'let dirt in'. I haven't read about any perforance/economy benefits to installing one.

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Years ago I read a thread about a GC owner who was denied an engine warranty claim due to a 3rd party CAI being installed - the dealer claimed it 'let dirt in'. I haven't read about any perforance/economy benefits to installing one.
Magnuson Act protects against dealer wish/wash. Dealer has to prove aftermarket part is to blame. Ex.
If dirt is in the intake/runners/chambers, then yes its void.
If intake is clean and find it was bad bearings, then its a warranty claim... or poor ownership ;p

Regardless, you'll have to pay the diag fee up front until justified.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
That act keeps getting repeated any time there's warranty talk. It's become a buzzword here.
Too complex, too expensive for people to start shouting that at their dealer. Dealers know what they can and can't do.
And it's really easy for a dealer to demonstrate causation - if they are worth a squat. That was part of my job at times - forensics, finding why things failed. There are ways.

People think they can (or worse, should!) modify up the ass and then when they have a problem "I didn't do it". It's the evil dealers! Those evil bad bad corporations, how dare they.

Anyone making mods first needs to know what they are doing, why they are doing it - and stop listening to the marketing bullshi+ from all fo these vendors that tout more HP and more mpg if you use their filter.
The problem with a lot of this is people replace USED filters and then scream - hey, it runs better! Instead of comparing a NEW factory style with the others.
It's like these guys tossing big coils on their cars and bragging how much better it starts. Yeah, you replace an old use part or do that on an engine that has other issues and that coil will mask your other sins.

I've seen tests by guys I know personally, high performance guys, racers, one a Mercedes tech - he avoids those other filters.
They did tests with a white filter material upstream from the replacement filter assembly - and yes, they found dirt - extremely fine, but still dirt. Dirt that wasn't otherwise there.
Further - and again - these are not drawing in the same amount of air that my 360 or my 390 would at 5,000 RPM Engines are pumps. a 3.6 isn't going to move more air through than something 30% larger.

I just don't get the obscession with these racing or so-called "performance filters" on a truck that rarely sees 6,000 rpm.
Why do people think that a filter designed to allow enough air at 6500 rpm (redline for these) is going to restrict anything at a lesser RPM? The PCM is also tuned for that filter and the whole intake stream, at the very outside end of the filter box to the combustion chamber, that thing is tuned for what's there. We used to tell folks - and it's true, the whole system is a single system, designed to work together from the top of the air horn to the tip of the final exhaust pipe. (assuming carburetor, etc.)

Unless you have this thing beefed up to spin 7,000 RPM for any amount of time or forced air into it, the factory filter will move more air than the engine will call for at highway speeds of 2,000-3,000 RPM.
Racing and performance filters are for high air needs and higher RPM.
You should see some of the small paper filters supporting 400-500 HP and 6,000 rpm.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
imo the best think for trucks in dusty conditions is a cyclonic snorkel cap. Driving across kenya and somali, trucks without them get clogged filters pretty quick. You can see it in the west of the US, too.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
imo the best think for trucks in dusty conditions is a cyclonic snorkel cap. Driving across kenya and somali, trucks without them get clogged filters pretty quick. You can see it in the west of the US, too.
I use cyclonic dust collectors with my blast cabinets and another in my dust collection system in my shop. I'm a huge advocate for such things.
The vacuum cleaners don't get much dust in them at all - it's all collected ahead of them. And the wood shop dust system, it's absolutely amazing how that works.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
And snorkels without the cyclonic filter but with the forward scoop really forces debris into whatever filter you have.

I do believe snorkels have their place... if you are on a safari, cross continent overland trip, where you may have water crossings... but the majority of the time here in the U.S., they are not needed.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
And snorkels without the cyclonic filter but with the forward scoop really forces debris into whatever filter you have.

I do believe snorkels have their place... if you are on a safari, cross continent overland trip, where you may have water crossings... but the majority of the time here in the U.S., they are not needed.
im not sure how that became a thing. I lived in africa for a couple years and drove ALOT. I dont think the regular snorkel does that, and i think its an old wives tail started by someone on the internet who’s wife’s sisters husbands brother was an engineer. Its not as good as the cyclonic by a mile, but it was better than no snorkel by a lot. Especially when convoyed smartly. We put snorkels on all the trucks purely for the dust. And i guess a little for flash floods During rain season.

is a snorkel *needed*? No and not in the US. Id get one if i lived out west still just because there is more dust there.

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
im not sure how that became a thing. I lived in africa for a couple years and drove ALOT. I dont think the regular snorkel does that, and i think its an old wives tail started by someone on the internet who’s wife’s sisters husbands brother was an engineer. Its not as good as the cyclonic by a mile, but it was better than no snorkel by a lot. Especially when convoyed smartly. We put snorkels on all the trucks purely for the dust. And i guess a little for flash floods During rain season.

is a snorkel *needed*? No and not in the US. Id get one if i lived out west still just because there is more dust there.
I use to run one on my Cherokee. Lots of leaves and other debris, water from rain, etc all forced in and embedded in the filter. I would prefer just a low cyclonic, like a HMWWV has... but only if I were in a dusty environment again.

When I was in Iraq, we had to clean the air filters on everything at least weekly on equipment behind the wire, and daily on trucks that rolled out.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I use to run one on my Cherokee. Lots of leaves and other debris, water from rain, etc all forced in and embedded in the filter. I would prefer just a low cyclonic, like a HMWWV has... but only if I were in a dusty environment again.

When I was in Iraq, we had to clean the air filters on everything at least weekly on equipment behind the wire, and daily on trucks that rolled out.
you guys generally run your convoys tighter, so every truck behind lead is in the dust line. but yes cyclonics are the bees knees.

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
There are plenty of threads here on air intake systems. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...yl-pentastar-maintenance-mods-discussions.18/

The stock system provides plenty of airflow. The engine intake can only accept so much air. My read of the threads is that there is no concrete proof that changing the air intake provides any performance or economy improvement.

The only real control you have over economy is how you drive and how hard your foot hits the gas pedal. Leaving it stock will provide the best economy. Any modifications that add weight to the truck will decrease fuel economy.
I average 22.8 (2020 Gladiator Overland, stock 18” wheels/tires, 6800 Miles so far) as long as I keep it under 70 on the highway and don’t stomp the pedal. I do disable to stop/start every time I get in the vehicle.

MadMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave 2020
Occupation
Sales Manager
Don’t buy before you watch this video.
Sponsored