Sponsored

Aftermarket air intake system recommendations?

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
As someone who has tuned their own vehicle and done tons of mods (not on a pentastar), the bolt on additions (intake, exhaust, etc) have minimal to no impact without calibrating the fuel mapping. In some cases it can make it worse because the extra air flow that in theory sounds great, skews the fuel trims and the ECU is constantly trying to fuck around trying to dial it back in to what the mapping says it should be. Depending on how big the change is in flow, it could be outside of what it can compensate for at which point you would be doing more harm than good.

All that being said, you're talking about a naturally aspirated engine so getting a whole new intake will give you little to no gains. If you want to blow a couple hundred bucks to gain efficiency, get yourself HP tuners and dial in your fuel maps to be exact rather than wasting money on an intake that will potentially make it worse. Just make sure you educate yourself on how to do it properly so you don't mess it up. Once you're there, then go ahead and get yourself an intake that you can actually tune the changes for and realize efficiency/power gains.

On a money savings perspective, if you want to save yourself money, you can get a washable intake filter and that 50 bucks you spend now will save you from having to replace the intake filter every 6 months for 10-15 bucks each time.
So right on the money!
Sponsored

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I did have gains with a bed cover on my ram. Went from 18 to 21mpg avg before and after. I bought it to secure stuff not for mpg, but wanted to reiterate it is possible.

but that was a hemi and punched a much bigger hole in the air. I’m not surprised other situations showed negligible outcomes.

Sponsored

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
Only gears can help regain or mitigate lost MPGs. Nothing will improve your MPG over stock. Not bed caps, not exhaust, intake, etc.

LaterGator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Gladiator
Only gears can help regain or mitigate lost MPGs. Nothing will improve your MPG over stock. Not bed caps, not exhaust, intake, etc.

whew! Glad to know that it's not the alu-cab bed cap, or the magna-flow exhaust or the throttle body spacer, or the aem dry filter. Although I am pretty sure the throttle spacer added at least 15 hp.

$1400 to get 2 mpg. At $1.65/gal, it's going to take 107,962 miles to break even, so I better get going.

Later

Last edited:

Jar Jar Insano

First Name
Jarek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Grand Cherokee
gears won't help you either if you're already at the optimal gear ratio. unless you are talking about gaining MPG without re calibrating your speedo, then you can get a fake mpg boost because it shows you have driven more miles than you actually have. the bed cap could give you a small gain, but a cheaper way of doing that is putting your tailgate down then you don't have that extra sail. being the gladiator is a box though, i would say the tailgate is not your main contributor of wind resistance.

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
I picked up 2 mpg by doing the 60 buck K&N air filter drop in

Sponsored

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone,

So my 2021 Jeep Mojave has been truly amazing, but I would like to get better gas mileage, I have done some homework and found that a new cool air intake system could help me with adding some horse power and better gas mileage, please share your thoughts on this and let me know if there is another way to help improve my fuel efficiency. Thanks everyone, take care and stay safe. Cheers
Waste of money unless you race and need top performance at HIGH RPM. You never will have that engine rev'd that high for extended periods unless you do 90 in lower gears.
It's about like fart cans on imports.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You should research how good a job K&N does on filtering...
I have - hang out with racers and you don't see many of them run 'em off the track.
I posted in another thread how a fellow did research with a white second filter down wind of the K&N and then using another....... he caught more misses with the oiled type filters.

Again, these don't pull enough air at ordinary highway speeds in high or the OD gears to make a real difference. It's all seat-of-the-pants, what we call the butt dyno.
But like oil, spark plugs, tires, whatever anyone runs is always best.
Sponsored