Reaction score
Website
www.FredRewey.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Speaker, Author, Dude Who Likes Bacon
Vehicle Showcase
I am waiting until gravel on the roads season is over.
Do those bug deflector hood thingys help any?
I probably already know the answer!
Hard to say. Typically the path of a rock that also has the ability to crack a windshield would not be affected by the aerodynamics of the bug guard - pretty much meant to re-direct bugs (with airflow).

That said, a direct path rock could be stopped. I am going to guess a 7.2% less chance of rock hit with vs without.

I have one...like the look but can't say it helped...that I know of. :)
Sponsored

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
So far my HGP windshield has been holding up flawless even with two big strikes
Started looking at those yesterday....mine's got the "smart box" in the upper middle of the windscreen....didn't look like those are avail yet.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Started looking at those yesterday....mine's got the "smart box" in the upper middle of the windscreen....didn't look like those are avail yet.
It's not connected in any way to the windshield so as long as they have the glass for the vehicle that has ACC and forward collision warning, that's all that's needed. They replace the glass and never even touch that box. No need to do anything special even though some insist on a re-alignment of that equipment with is a crock since that never ever gets touched or moved or impacted in any way. If it were, then any time you folded the windshield down you'd need realignment.
My glass was replaced last spring and not realigned and my ACC, auto high beam and forward collision system all work perfectly.

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not connected in any way to the windshield so as long as they have the glass for the vehicle that has ACC and forward collision warning, that's all that's needed. They replace the glass and never even touch that box. No need to do anything special even though some insist on a re-alignment of that equipment with is a crock since that never ever gets touched or moved or impacted in any way. If it were, then any time you folded the windshield down you'd need realignment.
My glass was replaced last spring and not realigned and my ACC, auto high beam and forward collision system all work perfectly.
I thought the EXACT same thing, but was thrown by the different product codes. My guess is there is something in the HGP screens that can interfere with the signals from the ACC/Forward Collision...so they have to make one with a "cutout" in that area. But again, just a theory. @DAVECS1 do you have ACC/Fwd Collision on your Gladiator? Works with your HGP?

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
So those of you with the Exoshield and other protective plastic coatings, have any of you had a cracked windshield yet?

I guess I am asking if these things work. Evidently, even the Gorilla Glass still cracks and chips.
Update from post 44 in this thread from July ---

I have the Racing Optics 3 layer peel off since June/July and it has performed fantastic. I keep the Gladiator outside in the hot sun and there has been no discoloring or peeling. Optics is still perfect. The Truck was really dirty one time and it started sprinkling, and I turned on the wipers the wrong time and the top plastic layer got scratched. I just peeled it off and now I have a 2 layer racing optics setup. The layer I peeled off is surprisingly thick. I have heard some windshield hits since I put the racing optics film on, and no cracks or chips. It really is worth the money and time to install it.
The caveat with the film is that you do not want to scratch it. So, I just use Rain-X cleaner on it and a soft microfiber towel. If I am going to turn on the windshield wipers, I make sure there is no dirt on the windshield first. All the plastic films will scratch, so, for me, the Racing Optics makes more sense, since you have a full three layers of protection to manage scratches before you have to re-install.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the EXACT same thing, but was thrown by the different product codes. My guess is there is something in the HGP screens that can interfere with the signals from the ACC/Forward Collision...so they have to make one with a "cutout" in that area. But again, just a theory. @DAVECS1 do you have ACC/Fwd Collision on your Gladiator? Works with your HGP?
Good questions/thoughts. Would be interesting to see.............

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Welp I joined the cracked windshield club over a year ago.....so 3 days after I bought my truck

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S upgraded
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Owned my JT for 2 months. I took an epic road trip up to Oregon from Missouri this past week; I need to update that thread separately. However....
Somewhere between no-where Nebraska, and Rawlins, WY on I-80, I heard a "tink". I wasn't following a truck...there was a car in the next lane over. There had been snow, and maybe it was abrasives or salt on road.

I didnt see anything. I stopped overnight in Rawlins, got up the next morning, and there were 2 cracks started. The next day, they had merged and were all across bottom of my windshield.

Funny thing: I got sucked into purchasing the Crystal Fusion product from the dealer. I've emailed them and made a claim; dealer said that if I got a ding/crack with this stuff applied, I would get a new windshield. Well, I've emailed the place, and after a couple hours, they asked me where I purchased my vehicle from. Now waiting to see what happens next...

Anyone have experience with this?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Naw I went without those options this time around as I wanted to bolt a bunch of stuff to this one lol!

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I heard a "tink". I wasn't following a truck...there was a car in the next lane over. There had been snow, and maybe it was abrasives or salt on road.
Same here. Oddly the "tink" was lighter than other strikes I've had that I'm SURE would have cracked me. All well....

Sponsored

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Naw I went without those options this time around as I wanted to bolt a bunch of stuff to this one lol!
Thanks. Lends to my thoughts that some lamination in the screen messes with the ACC, thus needing a different product code.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Joined club last Friday. Had just merged on to the highway, had nobody in front of me, just a minivan to my right. Then BAM.

Pea sized chip which if left alone would surely spread.

Used the Gecko phone App and scheduled a visit to the nearest Safelite and got it fused same day. So far so good.

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Follow-up to the Crystal Fusion. I got a call, and scheduling replacement. You have to reapply the Crystal Fusion within 3 days of new windshield to maintain warranty. I said, well, I'm not anywhere near my home dealer. They said, no problem. Call the 800 number to find a dealer near you (local Jeep dealer in Medford apparently), and have it reapplied by them. No problem.

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Well, so far I'm on the fence with this product, and it's replacement process. A LOT of hoop jumping and "iffy" talk. Currently, Safelite Solutions (whom is the sub for Safeguard, the warranty provider for the Crystal Fusion product) has been ok. They called me, and we just scheduled an appt at their local facility to have the windshield inspected. Safeguard only authorized repair i.e. fixing a ding/hole in glass. This is a huge crack. So they said that the technician will inspect the windshield, report back to Safeguard, and we will go from there.

I'll keep updating how this process goes.
Sponsored